Google Home Wish List

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
The ability to request an action and phrasing it many ways.
"Make the lights in the hall red"
"Change the lights to red in the hall"
"Set the hall lights to red."
"I'd like the hall lights to be red please"

Right now these are defined strings. Google needs a match. It would be great if she actually understood the context.

Having to remember the specific way to request a function is not ai, it's scripted and limiting.
Are you running the Hue system? I haven't had any issues using those phrases to change the color of my bedroom lights. I have two lighting groups, bedroom and living room. I could call out "Hey Google, change bedroom lights to red" or "set bedroom lights to red" and it works without issues.

shadoweave

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Are you running the Hue system? I haven't had any issues using those phrases to change the color of my bedroom lights. I have two lighting groups, bedroom and living room. I could call out "Hey Google, change bedroom lights to red" or "set bedroom lights to red" and it works without issues.

Yes. I have all hue. Also ifttt.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Dont know why, but my "GH" already does reminders for me......and a few other things that people now wish for.

I noticed mine will tell me about ones already set but if you try and set a new one it will tell you it can't.

ben1492

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Or if Google starts allowing multiple user-defined wake phrases, you could assign a specific wake phrase to a specific google account.

katanaguy

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
GH has a "lucky trivia" game on it and it can be so darn frustrating many times it asks you a question a young child could get right....not in all questions, but some...still playing with other features on GH. One thing I am glad I did....I purchased mine at Walmart first week of Jan......and I have a 3 full months (90 days Walmart says-same thing)....so that gives me plenty of time to determine if its a keeper or not...alot will depend on what features are going to be added AS PROMISED by Google-"very soon" Google says. Alot depends on its 3rd party app vendors and how quickly they bring new and dynamic features to GH. I chose this over Alexa because of the power, name, and future engineering on the GH that Google brings to the table. I read many reviews before buying and the Alexa may have slight overall edge NOW over GH, however, being a Google product I look for for GH in the near future and beyond to be the WORLD leader in home assistant devices. This is my hope, anyway. While Amazon is also a monster....in the tech world.....Google is God compared with Amazon. So, like I said I have 3 full months to decide.....dont let me and all these other believers who decided on GH vs Alexa down....are you reading this-- Google tech engineers!??

Last edited:

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean syncing with phone itself or the Google Home?.....please explain in more detail of want you want to do
Just in general... As of now the home doesn't really do anything with phones... Like if I ask things to the home I can then say send that to my phone instead of having to ask my phone... If I asked for a phone number I can say call that number and it calls on my phone... Just small things like that... Just make the phone and the home work together better

katanaguy

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Just in general... As of now the home doesn't really do anything with phones... Like if I ask things to the home I can then say send that to my phone instead of having to ask my phone... If I asked for a phone number I can say call that number and it calls on my phone... Just small things like that... Just make the phone and the home work together better

Steven.....yes, as of now "GH" cannot make phone calls..........just yet.Google is in the process of adding many new features, however this will take a litle more time from what I read. Many 3rd party vendors are signing on as I write this to bring some terrific functions to GH. We all have to give them some time here, heck it was just released for sale only most recently. I think as time goes on we will see GH's doing all sorts of tasks that right now we could only imagine. The REASON I bought GH and not Alexa is simply because it has Google's tech engineers behind it and the world's best 3rd party tech vendors, too. Alexa " may get the most dates right now" than GH, however you watch and see... Google will pass it and wave "bye-bye" in it's rearview mirror in the coming near future. Google is the tech behemoth NOT Amazon. Amazon is an on line giant of giant's retailer granted, but you tell me who is the better tech co.......hands down.....Google, easily. So, I based my choice on the above logic. If we are all a little patient, GH will surprise all with lots of sweet tech goodies...I feel that confident...............now if it would just make my Mom's meatloaf.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Steven.....yes, as of now "GH" cannot make phone calls..........just yet.Google is in the process of adding many new features, however this will take a litle more time from what I read. Many 3rd party vendors are signing on as I write this to bring some terrific functions to GH. We all have to give them some time here, heck it was just released for sale only most recently. I think as time goes on we will see GH's doing all sorts of tasks that right now we could only imagine. The REASON I bought GH and not Alexa is simply because it has Google's tech engineers behind it and the world's best 3rd party tech vendors, too. Alexa " may get the most dates right now" than GH, however you watch and see... Google will pass it and wave "bye-bye" in it's rearview mirror in the coming near future. Google is the tech behemoth NOT Amazon. Amazon is an on line giant of giant's retailer granted, but you tell me who is the better tech co.......hands down.....Google, easily. So, I based my choice on the above logic. If we are all a little patient, GH will surprise all with lots of sweet tech goodies...I feel that confident...............now if it would just make my Mom's meatloaf.
People probably would have said the same thing about Microsoft compared to Google when Android started up and you see their market share. If you followed CES, most everyone integrated Alexa and not Google assistant. Sure it could change, but I don't think Google needs to underestimate Amazon. They're killing them right now. Hopefully that'll make them move even more quickly with new features. The thing is, people have to want to integrate with it. Google can't make them. I've got both a Home and a bunch of echos so I'll be along for the ride. I'm sure it'll be fun.

katanaguy

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
People probably would have said the same thing about Microsoft compared to Google when Android started up and you see their market share. If you followed CES, most everyone integrated Alexa and not Google assistant. Sure it could change, but I don't think Google needs to underestimate Amazon. They're killing them right now. Hopefully that'll make them move even more quickly with new features. The thing is, people have to want to integrate with it. Google can't make them. I've got both a Home and a bunch of echos so I'll be along for the ride. I'm sure it'll be fun.

Well sure the Alexa has been integrated, my goodness they have had alot of time to do so, too. Just wait and see what Google Home will turn out to be in near future. A good friend of mine has a high up engineer friend with Google coporate so I hear some tid bits another reason why I went with "GH". This is interesting....just a couple nights ago on nat'l tv news they said Alexa has been trying to order items from Amazon by some owners!....they think Alexa has been picking up inadvertant home conversations about some at home saying I need to buy this or that and Alexa picks it up sometimes as an order to Amazon!..... amd since Amazon has some customers's cc's stored in their system---- watch out. That little girl a couple weeks ago on the news got sent I think it was 16 dolls of the same and 4lbs of cookies through an Alexa goof....thats not good....and yet maybe it was...parents should not have to pay a dime on this Amazon/Alexa error and keep what they got. Kind of funny. I just feel I have made the right decision for me, besides since I just got it from Walmart I have 90 days to decide.....very nice.....and Google has already hired many 3rd party vendors for GH implementaion of near future services. This I know is factual.

Last edited:

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow! I never even thought about accidently ordering things on the echo... I'm sure they have something in place that makes you confirm items before purchasing... Idk if I believe those stories but if it's true they should be reimbursed all their money

marcb11

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Oh wow! I never even thought about accidently ordering things on the echo... I'm sure they have something in place that makes you confirm items before purchasing... Idk if I believe those stories but if it's true they should be reimbursed all their money
You can add a pin code to your voice ordering, with that set you must say your pin before the order is processed. Honestly I am amazed anyone wouldn't have this enabled while keeping voice ordering wide open.

Then again a lot of people think thier zip code or birth date is a good password too.

Amazon has some of the best customer service out there I highly doubt they made any of these errant orders require return shipping charges, despite the fact that it in all honesty is the owners fault for allowing voice ordering to be enabled without any security.

Last edited:

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Let's just hope that Google Home doesn't end up like android wear and other google projects. They have great intentions but everything ends up half assed and we never get a complete solution. I hear all these announcements of things to come but has there been any real updates since this was released?