Google Assistant controlling Google Home on Pixel outside wifi reach

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I always thought Google Assistant on the Pixel would be tied to Google Home. When I bring it up and say, "Okay Google, turn on the front lights" it only gives me a search result.

Is this the proper steps to take? Am I doing something wrong or have something set up wrong?

What if I want to broadcast something, how would I do that from my phone in my car??? That's how it's being marketed, as notifications you can send outside your wifi range.

My next Google Home addition would be for the garage door opener, but don't want to spend money on it if I have to open the specific app to open my garage door when I'm a block away. I'd rather tap the assistant and issue the command... The garage door is compatible with Gogogate2 and is IFTTT, if that matters.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I always thought Google Assistant on the Pixel would be tied to Google Home. When I bring it up and say, "Okay Google, turn on the front lights" it only gives me a search result.

Is this the proper steps to take? Am I doing something wrong or have something set up wrong?

What if I want to broadcast something, how would I do that from my phone in my car??? That's how it's being marketed, as notifications you can send outside your wifi range.

My next Google Home addition would be for the garage door opener, but don't want to spend money on it if I have to open the specific app to open my garage door when I'm a block away. I'd rather tap the assistant and issue the command... The garage door is compatible with Gogogate2 and is IFTTT, if that matters.
You don't have to be on the same wifi to control lights or anything... The assistant on your phone and Google home after the same as long as they are connected to the same Google account...Ive controlled my lights from my mother's house (in another state) from my phone but as far as broadcast I'm not sure bc I've always been in the home when I used that

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can use mobile data if you're not within range of your own router. The internet, after all, is the internet, regardless of how you get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze