Considering switching from Sprint to T-Mobile for N1 - Thoughts?

DoctorWho#AC

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I've personally had it with Sprint. They continually have the worst handset lineups (specifically regarding Android) and lag months behind with updates to handsets (Moment and Hero 2.1 updates are still yet to be seen). I've had my eye on the N1 since launch, and was ectatic to hear that a CDMA variant was coming to Sprint. With that now up in the air, I'm frustrated enough to move to a new carrier.

For any of you with an N1 and T-Mobile service (who have also had Sprint in the past), is the carrier switch worth it? Is call quality comparable? I'm considering the no contract plans and purchasing a slightly used phone on CL or eBay.

Thanks in advance for the responses - looking forward to being a proud N1 owner soon!

Captain Amazing

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I left Sprint for T-mobile when the Nexus One was first released. I never had any problems with Sprint's coverage or customer service. They always treated me great. My only problem was that there were no phones I was interested in for Sprint at the time.

Upon my switch to T-mobile, I am just as happy. Coverage is just as good, call quality is just as good, customer service is just as good.

I live in the Atlanta suburbs.

Yahma

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I too left Sprint for T-Mobile and the Nexus One. All I can say is it is an amazing phone. Currently running CyanogenMod 5.0.6 w/HelixLauncher 2 and this phone is a monster! Great battery life too!

theeroopable

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Verizon to AT&T to T-Mobile

I did a bit of a gradual switch, albeit not from Sprint. I went from Verizon to AT&T and now with T-mobile for the Nexus One. I live in Las Vegas and as soon as I step outside my house I have full bars with blazing fast 3G speeds. Inside the house it kind of wavers, I've seen it go to Edge a couple of times, but never too long. Customer service is great, if not better than the previous two, and phone call quality is definitely there; plus, it's cheaper for the same features than on the other two.

I couldn't ask for more.

qst4

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
N1 is awesome but I think Sprints coverage is better, at least where I live outside of Poughkeepsie. Are you really serious about leaving Sprint with the EVO coming out?

DoctorWho#AC

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of the responses

N1 is awesome but I think Sprints coverage is better, at least where I live outside of Poughkeepsie. Are you really serious about leaving Sprint with the EVO coming out?

Yes I am serious even with the EVO coming out. Sprint does NOT stand behind their handsets. I've had a few issues with my Hero (some are well known, such as the dust behind the screen) and all they've told me to do is either file an insurance claim or do nothing.

Why I'm concerned about the EVO:

1.) Android updates for CDMA devices seem to be sketchy at best, with Sprint always being dead last to receive core OS upgrades (see: all Sprint Android devices). The EVO will also more than likely follow this pattern.

2.) The screen: my Hero is TFT with 65k, just as the EVO, and does not look nearly as vibrant or sexy as any other phone with AMOLED and millions of colors. Plus, the screen in my opinion might just be TOO big for a phone!

3.) Polish: in my opinion, from what I've seen of the Nexus One, the animations and core functionality seem to be a bit more polished than what I've seen of the EVO. I really enjoy the new animations, exclusive gallery, etc, of the N1.

IMO, a lot of the EVO is gimmicky - plus I'm not in an area with 4G. T-Mobile will have HSDPA+ before WiMAX is here (Indianapolis).

Captain Amazing

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had a few issues with my Hero (some are well known, such as the dust behind the screen) and all they've told me to do is either file an insurance claim or do nothing.

For what it's worth, my Nexus One has dust behind the screen. I only really notice it when the screen is off. It doesn't bother me at all.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
I think you made a great choice, reason behind that statement is because you did what was going to benefit you and what you felt would be the best. I hope that you enjoy your Nexus One greatly, and it is everything that you need it to be!

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I've personally had it with Sprint. They continually have the worst handset lineups (specifically regarding Android) and lag months behind with updates to handsets (Moment and Hero 2.1 updates are still yet to be seen). I've had my eye on the N1 since launch, and was ectatic to hear that a CDMA variant was coming to Sprint. With that now up in the air, I'm frustrated enough to move to a new carrier.

For any of you with an N1 and T-Mobile service (who have also had Sprint in the past), is the carrier switch worth it? Is call quality comparable? I'm considering the no contract plans and purchasing a slightly used phone on CL or eBay.

Thanks in advance for the responses - looking forward to being a proud N1 owner soon!

Little tip for you... no matter what anyone tells you, always stay with the carrier that has the best service in your area. With no service the best device is useless. And with the Evo 4G hitting Sprint, if the service is good. Stay put. Just my $.02

JayCudi

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Little tip for you... no matter what anyone tells you, always stay with the carrier that has the best service in your area. With no service the best device is useless. And with the Evo 4G hitting Sprint, if the service is good. Stay put. Just my $.02

Co-sign completely

trueplaya89

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I left Sprint for My T Mobile N1. Service for me in the Orlando area is great. At my house I get 0 Service until I walk outside... Which is why I'm leaving T Mobile for Sprint or Verizon again. N1 is a badass phone though!