Android's Music Player Sucks

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
...Not that you didn't already know it. But I'm not just talking about looks, I'm talking about function too.

I loaded up music on my N1 using DoubleTwist, and then ejected my phone. I go to the music player and see...nothing. I wait a couple minutes, then a few albums and songs show up. I wait a few more, and then a few more show up. It took a full 30 minutes for everything that had been synced to show up in the player.

Now, I know it isn't going to function like the iPod on the iPhone or iPod touch, thanks to the N1's use of microSD. But still, 30 minutes to wait when it should be as quick and painless as possible is patently ridiculous.

Are you listening Google? This damn well better be fixed in 2.2.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
It's the same with pictures, this is the music player, camera, gallery apps, etc, scanning the SD card for content. They scan EVERYWHERE, since you can put media everywhere and not in some specific folders.

That openness and freedom of Android sometimes comes with a price ;)

out of curiosity, how much music had you copied on it, and how much space is used on your SD card?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It's the same with pictures, this is the music player, camera, gallery apps, etc, scanning the SD card for content. They scan EVERYWHERE, since you can put media everywhere and not in some specific folders.

That openness and freedom of Android sometimes comes with a price ;)

out of curiosity, how much music had you copied on it, and how much space is used on your SD card?

It was just over 6 gigs.

But that shouldn't matter. There are better ways for the system to scan, methods that clearly aren't being used.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
It was just over 6 gigs.

6 GB of music and how much data total? What class SD card?

But that shouldn't matter. There are better ways for the system to scan, methods that clearly aren't being used.

Perhaps, perhaps not. So you take out the SD card and put it back in (or mount/unmount it with the USB cable), how is the system to know that you put new music, new videos, new photos, on the card?

Honestly asking here, not a Google employee or anything, but I'd rather see solutions talked about than plain old "google should know better, I'm angry!" discussion ;) And I'm curious too.

P.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
What class is your MicroSD card?

Everyone pretends you don't need a fast card because they only look at video recording frame rate, but scans and directory crawls take time. Realistically the phone probably can't access the card as fast as Class 4 card can deliver, but why build in a bottleneck.

I don't have that much music on my N1, but it still takes a while to "prepare" my 16gig card each time power up the phone. From then on, its fast finding new music and documents.

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
If it is anything like the BB music player, when it first reads a lot of new music files on the SD card, it creates an index. That initially takes a very long time, but when you add new media along the way it is almost instantaneous. I also found that it could find the music faster if each album had its own folder lik ethe way windows media stores it. If you put all of the files in the same folder, the algorithm starts to break down and get very slow.

stalker

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Besides all these problems. I think a good equalizer is required. But problem of refreshing music list and images in gallery will be fixed in froyo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49