Froyo wireless tethering, can the carrier charge you?

prodigal27

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm asking because of services that carriers charge for, for instance Sprint will charge $30 for the wireless hotspot. Well if the feature is included in the operating system, can Sprint charge you if they think you're using it?

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes, they can. Will they? That's another question that those of us who choose to will have the answer to when we see our bills.

I've hit 1gb because of using wireless tether through rooting and have yet to see a charge on my AT&T bill. This doesn't mean I will never get one, but I haven't seen on.

Mystic205

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
its more complicated than that..

tethering is a violation of your terms of service with Sprint, and the hotspot fee applies only to the evo, so if you tether at all, say with tetherberry for BB's or by rooting, they may not charge you, but you may find your service summarily terminated as they have the right to cancel your service without warning in the event of a breach of ToS...

I am not saying they will but it can happen...and if you rack up muti GB data then make sure you have a spare phone on another carrier!!

I'm asking because of services that carriers charge for, for instance Sprint will charge $30 for the wireless hotspot. Well if the feature is included in the operating system, can Sprint charge you if they think you're using it?

jGroves

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Before reading, understand that I know why people would want to tether...

But what is the big deal of having tethering on Froyo if you can install an app like PDANet and tether without root? I'm able to do that no problem from my Droid Incredible.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

But what is the big deal of having tethering on Froyo if you can install an app like PDANet and tether without root? I'm able to do that no problem from my Droid Incredible.

Because its built in by Google and is about as easy as it can get. It doesn't require software on the computer and it doesn't require anything beyond a few taps on the screen.

If you don't have 2.2, use PdaNet. If you do, you'd be stupid to use it since the google solution is better integrated and better executed. (presuming your carrier does not block it, of course)

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

The main knock against PDANet is the requirement that you must have there app installed on the host PC. If you want to move the phone around to another host you have to install the software on it. Besides that and the fact you have to pay for PDANet if you want https access. Overall it's better to have the native tethering.

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I usually use 1gb without tethering. Sometimes over a high easily. I don't think using another gig by tethering will bother them much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis