Wait...Is FRF50 not the real deal?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
There are growing indications that the build of Froyo that was leaked was not meant to be installed on consumer devices. Apparently Google has confirmed that it was not 'feature-complete', and was never meant to get into the hands of consumers' nexus ones. This is why people are seeing errors with the market, with certain features not being there, etc. What's unclear at this point is if you'll be able to upgrade to the official Google release of Froyo for the Nexus One if you're running FRF50, or if you'll have to downgrade.

[Update] Froyo May Have Been Launched Prematurely | Android Phone Fans

engineering software | Quietly Coding

qst4

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
This is why I decided to wait. Plus I thought it would be best to give App developers a chance to update their apps. But what really concerns me is what kinds of systems and controls does Google have in place that would allow this kind of mistake to happen, if indeed this is a mistake. I mean a significant OS update accidentally leaked.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
According to what I have read, FRF50(the FroYo release in question) may or may not be an official release candidate.

According to a Tweet from AndroidDev an update is (or has been) released for a small test group and that shortly an official release is due out.

What is shortly? Your guess is as good as mine. I would imagine that shortly is probably not two weeks from now, but anywhere from tonight to probably Friday would be a good guess.

My Engineering gut(which tends to be fairly accurate about these things) tells me that FRF50 was probably not meant for prime time and we will see a higher number build when Google finally releases FroYo.

Dan

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
According to what I have read, FRF50(the FroYo release in question) may or may not be an official release candidate.

According to a Tweet from AndroidDev an update is (or has been) released for a small test group and that shortly an official release is due out.

What is shortly? Your guess is as good as mine. I would imagine that shortly is probably not two weeks from now, but anywhere from tonight to probably Friday would be a good guess.

My Engineering gut(which tends to be fairly accurate about these things) tells me that FRF50 was probably not meant for prime time and we will see a higher number build when Google finally releases FroYo.

Dan

What some of those sites theorize is that this update was meant for press units and Google employee units only, but Google flubbed and let the link go live.

I'm with you that I don't think FRF50 is the release candidate. Even though its generally better in every way, it just doesn't feel quite finished yet.

evilp8ntballer7#AC

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I think if their is a newer version of Froyo then it might be FRF86 but I hope us that updated to FRF50 can once again update to the final build if their is one.

Last edited:

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
It wasn't released "prematurely." That implies they planned to release it en mass. FRF50 was released to a select group of devices -- which also included journalists who had received N1s from Google. The rest of us piggybacked the download location and went from there. That's also how we do manual upgrades instead of waiting for OTAs.

So when you hear people say this one was "leaked," that's wrong, too. It was pushed out, and we grabbed the dl location and had at it.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It wasn't released "prematurely." That implies they planned to release it en mass. FRF50 was released to a select group of devices -- which also included journalists who had received N1s from Google. The rest of us piggybacked the download location and went from there. That's also how we do manual upgrades instead of waiting for OTAs.

So when you hear people say this one was "leaked," that's wrong, too. It was pushed out, and we grabbed the dl location and had at it.

Well, Google was never supposed to have posted the link so that it could be found publicly, and they even admit it.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Here's a question though;

Is it worth downgrading back to 2.1 upgrade 1? It isn't clear whether we'll be able to upgrade from FRF50 to whatever the real Froyo upgrade is, so would it be worth it downgrade for the time being?

KrispyKrink

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Google has already confirmed that the release is legit on Phonedog saying
Google has officially confirmed "The roll out to Nexus One devices has begun!"

If/when there is a newer release beyond FRF50 the Press/Reviewers wont be left behind while the rest of the public gets upgraded. So, it's a safe bet those, along with the general public, will get the release.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, Google was never supposed to have posted the link so that it could be found publicly, and they even admit it.

It has to be available so that the selected phones to which they pushed this for pre-release testing could get it.

All it takes is someone with a few clues to then deduce the location and tweet it. This is not uncommon. It would have happen whether or not Google posted a link.

And I seriously doubt Google gives a ratsass if others piggy back on the pre-release test software. If you want to volunteer to test their software why should they stop you?

Angelworks

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
This is a strange issue though - security wise. We had like a 100 blogs linking to a file (many on 3rd party sites) encouraging people to upgrade to Froyo, a rooted version for AT&T phones etc etc. Anyone think at any point that any of these were even remotely legit?

Working in IT here at a community college I've got a name for myself fixing phones - and you wouldn't believe the amount of rooted phones I've come across upgraded by people who don't know any better who are now wondering why feature xyz doesn't work properly, or trying to upgrade to the latest mainline OS - honestly getting the phone back into a usable state so they can do a normal upgrade is a lot of trouble since the modified loaders don't seem to want to load mainline versions of the OS.

I think there should be a bit more warning on these upgrade instructions on blogs like this one.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I give up on Froyo for now. (at least FRF50 froyo) Its way too damn buggy to use without issues. I had maps force-close on me at least half a dozen times. The messaging app did the same. And the music app froze and then required a battery pull since it froze the phone solid. On top of that, notifications are hit or miss, and stability just isn't there yet.

Its pretty clear now that FRF50 is NOT the final build for Nexus One devices. If it is, we're screwed.

Teeceman

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Just for the record I'm also using the FRF50 froyo build and have found it to be quite solid with no force closure during normal use, some apps did however force close initially but updated ones are working fine.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm MOSTLY happy.

- Green tint on pictures is gone
- Bluetooth in my car actually works
- Downtown is data crappy for me (always like that) but it does keep a signal better in some places that it didn't before
- Faster

Oddity though:

When I unlock it with the power button, sometimes it flashes for a split second and doesn't come on, if it I hit it again, it comes on and goes off, as if I hit it twice. It doesn't always do this, and sometimes it seems like it does it more often in a span of time than not. Meaning it might happen to me about 4-5 times in an hour, not happen for a few more hours, and then happen again for another 30 minute stretch.

tonytoon

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm MOSTLY happy.

Oddity though:

When I unlock it with the power button, sometimes it flashes for a split second and doesn't come on, if it I hit it again, it comes on and goes off, as if I hit it twice. It doesn't always do this, and sometimes it seems like it does it more often in a span of time than not. Meaning it might happen to me about 4-5 times in an hour, not happen for a few more hours, and then happen again for another 30 minute stretch.

I was seeing the same behavior. I reverted back to 2.1 and all is right again, so I'll just presume this will be fixed in whatever goes out as the general OTA release.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I loaded FRF50 on my cousin's AWS N1 and it seems to be working properly and without a doubt an improvement over my North American 3G N1 running stock 2.1 Update-1.

My cousin was a bit worried that he would not receive (via OTA) the official FroYo update when it is released (if I installed FRF50), but he relaxed some when he saw that I (or he) could manually install the official update when it is released.

He relaxed even more when he saw how awesome FroYo is and the improvements under the hood (JIT, etc).

Dan

KrispyKrink

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I loaded FRF50 on my cousin's AWS N1 and it seems to be working properly and without a doubt an improvement over my North American 3G N1 running stock 2.1 Update-1.

My cousin was a bit worried that he would not receive (via OTA) the official FroYo update when it is released (if I installed FRF50), but he relaxed some when he saw that I (or he) could manually install the official update when it is released.

He relaxed even more when he saw how awesome FroYo is and the improvements under the hood (JIT, etc).

Dan
One of the Google Android devs stated yesterday over at XDA that those with the current 2.2 Froyo will receive the official OTA update when it is released.

Google isn't the type to release a preview to the Jurnos/reviewers/press and ditch them when the public release goes live.

trixnrice

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
modaco's froyo update zip flash ROM is freakn awesome on the att n1 rooted (came from stock EPE54B). everything is great except when swiping btwn homescreens, somtimes my swipes dont register, it take 2 tries. in apps, swiping works fine. this "whatever you want to call it" release of froyo is worthy. just saying...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20