Cell Tower Location

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I just got my Nexus One yesterday. I'm experiencing something weird with the Cell Tower Location. If I have both GPS and Cell Towers both on, then my location in Google Maps and in weather widget will be set in Vancouver exactly at my old address until the GPS gets a fix and it will update the location to Toronto.

If I turn off Tower Cell, then the GPS will show correct location but weather widget says network error or location unavailable.

Her is my question: how come when the Cell Tower location is enabled, the initial location takes me immediately to Vancouver exactly at my old address? I got the Sim card when I was living there, but I have moved to Toronto last December.

Also, when I unlock my phone, I have 50% chance to see the weather widget says Vancouver and 50% for Toronto.

For those who do not know, Vancouver and Toronto are across the country from each other.

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I did some further testing outside with and without GPS and/or Cell Tower. It worked beautifully as expected. Only when I'm inside, the Cell Tower locator acts funny an shows only my old address in Vancouver (no other location was showed).

What could the reason be? should I change my Sim card and obtain one from Toronto store instead since my old Sim card had a Vancouver number and I changed only the number when I moved.

Note: this Sim card was in an iPhone 3GS of that makes a difference, and yes, I'm made the switch and never looking back :D

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I did some further testing outside with and without GPS and/or Cell Tower. It worked beautifully as expected. Only when I'm inside, the Cell Tower locator acts funny an shows only my old address in Vancouver (no other location was showed).

What could the reason be? should I change my Sim card and obtain one from Toronto store instead since my old Sim card had a Vancouver number and I changed only the number when I moved.

Note: this Sim card was in an iPhone 3GS of that makes a difference, and yes, I'm made the switch and never looking back :D

I would think it is possible the tower assisted feature may be defaulting to a location tied to your account or SIM when the GPS cannot see a satellite... which would make sense if it goes to your old address when indoors.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

Wifi!

Did your router move across country? Are you near another router that did (whether connected to it or not)?

Skyhook database may be off.

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Wifi!

Did your router move across country? Are you near another router that did (whether connected to it or not)?

Skyhook database may be off.

yes, my router did move with me actually. It's a Linksys WRT54GL flashed with Tomato firmware.

Does it help if I reset the settings completely?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Well test with wifi OFF first, maybe router off too.

If that more or less solves the problem, go to skyhook and re-register your router.
Its based on router WAN-side mac address, and some routers get automatically recorded by skyhook.

You shouldn't have to re-do the router.

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Well test with wifi OFF first, maybe router off too.

If that more or less solves the problem, go to skyhook and re-register your router.
Its based on router WAN-side mac address, and some routers get automatically recorded by skyhook.

You shouldn't have to re-do the router.

Thanks for your reply.

Interesting enough with wifi off, the location is now 500 meters away and closes in fast to my spot :) sneaky router :p

I'll kepp an eye on it tomorrow to confirm the results.

Thanx alot for all the help.

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Try switching to 2G only and see if you get a location. My Nexus One sometimes can't get a location with the cell towers, but if I switch to 2G, I get a location. I then switch back to 3G and it is working.