When will Froyo be pushed?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Not looking for bets here, just logical projections.

How long was it after 2.1 was announced before it started arriving OTA?
Are they waiting to rain on Apple's Parade in June?

Are they waiting for any big time 3rd party app? Skype?

Nobody is reporting major bugs with the early version that I have seen, so what is the prognosis for general release?

KrispyKrink

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd bet on 2nd or 3rd week of June. Froyo does have a few bugs when I used it. Everytime I removed my earphones the music player started playing and sometimes the media controls on the earbuds wouldn't work. Those were the two most annoying but not the full list.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Not looking for bets here, just logical projections.

How long was it after 2.1 was announced before it started arriving OTA?
Are they waiting to rain on Apple's Parade in June?

Are they waiting for any big time 3rd party app? Skype?

Nobody is reporting major bugs with the early version that I have seen, so what is the prognosis for general release?

Eh, there have been quite a few bugs with FRF50. I've encountered many of them, and there are some horror stories out on other Android forums. Put simply 2.2 is NOT ready for primetime yet.

The most logical time for launch will be after the Evo launches and before Motorola's handsets are released. Its a tight window, but Google will know (or at least have a window) of dates for the motorolas, so they'll know when they need to push it. They may also wait for further refinements to Flash as well as for the OTA/Web-based Market launch.

So in short, sometime after the Evo launch in the month of June.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Eh, there have been quite a few bugs with FRF50. I've encountered many of them, and there are some horror stories out on other Android forums. Put simply 2.2 is NOT ready for primetime yet.

I've been following other forums as well, and I'm not seeing a lot of horror stories, just a smattering of odd bugs, with very few of them being observed by more than on or two people, and even fewer being show-stoppers.

Android 2.2 (FroYo) Issues & Bugs - Android Help

Still I don't argue with your June estimate. I'm just wondering if that is long enough for Google to shoot all these bugs.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been following other forums as well, and I'm not seeing a lot of horror stories, just a smattering of odd bugs, with very few of them being observed by more than on or two people, and even fewer being show-stoppers.

Android 2.2 (FroYo) Issues & Bugs - Android Help

Still I don't argue with your June estimate. I'm just wondering if that is long enough for Google to shoot all these bugs.

A lot of them were probably fixed before FRF50 was pushed. They probably just wanted a version out there for press to test, and for developers to test in real-world.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I expected FroYo to have hit already, but maybe that was not realistic.

Friday would be nice, but I cannot imagine that Google will wait too much longer to OTA FroYo, maybe 2 more weeks?

Dan

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I expected FroYo to have hit already, but maybe that was not realistic.

Friday would be nice, but I cannot imagine that Google will wait too much longer to OTA FroYo, maybe 2 more weeks?

Dan

They could be ****s and launch it during WWDC...:p

Seriously though, I would bet that it will come once the dust has settled with the iPhone fourth generation.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
They could be ****s and launch it during WWDC...:p

Seriously though, I would bet that it will come once the dust has settled with the iPhone fourth generation.

I thought about a WWDC release, but I am not sure that Google really cares nor believes that FroYo could have any effect on the WWDC.

Dan

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Crossed my mind too. Given all the digs at Apple during I/O, I wouldn't be surprised if they did go that route.

A few jokes at Apple's expense during I/O is one thing, purposely trying to cause a stir (I do not believe that FroYo has that kind of swag anyway) during WWDC is another thing entirely.

If the "Goog" just said, "expect FroYo around X" that would be enough to end all this speculation and put to rest a big ? in many Android user's minds.

Dan

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
A few jokes at Apple's expense during I/O is one thing, purposely trying to cause a stir (I do not believe that FroYo has that kind of swag anyway) during WWDC is another thing entirely.

If the "Goog" just said, "expect FroYo around X" that would be enough to end all this speculation and put to rest a big ? in many Android user's minds.

Dan

And it might give Apple a reason to say 'eff you' and end Google's contract for iPhone search.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
They don't know the exact release date because they are fixing last minute bugs. They can't see into the future, its just done when its done and they don't when that will be. Its not like they are artificially holding it back. It will quietly be released soon as its done.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
While I agree that Google is working out the last minute bugs/issues, I am fairly sure that they(Google) have an idea (days/weeks/months) when FroYo will be OTAed.

Dan

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
A "few" is limited to three or four. After that you get into "several" which is 5-8.

Ok, so Today (6/10) marks the end of 3 weeks, and we are creeping into "Few" overtime of 4 weeks, before we hit the dread "several".

So any time between now and NEXT Thursday you are saying? ;)

(Of course, I'd rather have it RIGHT than right away. )

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Well the FEW weeks have stretched to over 5 weeks. Well into SEVERAL territory.

Any Guestimates folks? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

deecee52

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Well the FEW weeks have stretched to over 5 weeks. Well into SEVERAL territory.

Any Guestimates folks? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Well, I thought it would be my birthday, as a personal gift, but that passed by a couple of weeks ago. Then I thought it might be a few days and fall in the relative quiet before the iphone launch or even on iphone launch eve / day. So now I guess it'll just be several weeks. Past all the buzz, past all the hype, just a rock solid release that makes our phones work better.

Oh well, except froyo is so much more refreshing in the summer. Save the hot gingerbread for wintertime release! or is it froyo on my gingerbread? Shucks, I give up. I'm getting hungry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech