07-10-2010 04:36 PM
32 12
tools
    I've thought about it for the screen size and front facing camera. I'm on the fence. What do you guys think?
    06-02-2010 11:05 AM
    I am on the fence too. I bought my N1 about 3 weeks ago with the intention of returning it within the 30-days and jumping over to the EVO. But, I love the N1 and would really hate to get rid of it. It's such a vast improvement over my old iPhone 3G. When I can get a real hands on with it I will make my final decision.

I think if they had rolled out Froyo before the EVO came I would have easily stuck with the Nexus One.

Also paying the $10 4G fee in an area that doesn't get 4G really gives me indigestion. I know it's supposedly a data un-capping fee, but in my mind it's a 4G surcharge. Which I wouldn't mind if there were 4G in San Diego.
    06-02-2010 11:43 AM
    and then in 3 months another super amazing must-have omg so cool whoa I'm dying from desire Android phone will come out, and you will wonder about leaving the Evo for it, too!?

I'm a proponent of using what you got if it works well, until you actually have a need for something new - rather than always jumping ship to the newest and greatest, and ending up broke lol
    06-02-2010 12:53 PM
    not a chance for me. even if the evo was gsm, i still dont think i would switch because i like the google updates with the nexus. besides i like the nexus build quality too much. great materials, solid, etc. i'd rather stick with the flagship developer phone than the evo, because the evo will soon be eclipsed, then that will be eclipsed, on and on. i'd rather just stick with the google phone rather than chasing every new phone released each month.
    06-02-2010 01:09 PM
    Stick with the N1. I've heard nothing but horror stories about the terrible battery life on the Evo. OK, the screen is nice, but it makes the phone just a bit too large to comfortably carry around.
    06-02-2010 02:55 PM
    I thought about it, but that thought was short lived. I simply hate Sprint. I've had to take them to court 6 years ago when I left them because they charged me a $200 ETF through a debt collector while I got it on a voice recording and written confirmation that I was not on contract when I left.
    06-02-2010 06:09 PM
    Maybe if Evo was GSM, but i do love my N1, its fantastic, and the battery life is good for me.
    06-02-2010 06:34 PM
    The front facing camera and the better multitouch is all I envy in the Evo. I personally hate the design. I don't care about the bigger screen. I would actually miss my trackball. Does the Evo have dual mics for noise cancellation? I don't like Sense. And I would regret it while I'm on 2.1 and the Nexus One is on Froyo. Then Froyo and Gingerbread. Etc.
    06-02-2010 07:29 PM
    first let me say that the evo is the best phone out right now. But its not for me, its to big, its on sprint, and it has sense.
    06-05-2010 12:14 AM
    I went to the store to play with one and while the screen was amazing I couldn't help but notice that the evo felt really plasticy while my n1 felt quite sturdy. But it is an amazing phone...I just can't bare to leave at&t for sprint right now. Plus I can't foresee sprint get anymore flagship phones for awhile (this is the first one since the pre) while at&t will slowly be coming out with some killer phones from dell and Samsung.

Sent from my Nexus One
    06-05-2010 10:24 AM
    first let me say that the evo is the best phone out right now. But its not for me, its to big, its on sprint, and it has sense.
    Don't think so, N1 has a better if smaller screen, the Evo colors looked off to just about everyone that has seen one, and all it really is is a N1 with a worse but bigger screen, a front facing camera (I don't need that) and some more built in memory, the rest of the guts are essentially N1, same with the Incredible

Bottom line is, it's the phone to get if you are on Sprint, otherwise there are similar or better options on the other carriers
    06-05-2010 06:40 PM
    Sprint I just can't even think about moving to sprint.
    06-06-2010 12:51 AM
    I have the Evo right now.
    Battery is great. I've been using it 8-10 hours of moderate usage and I'm at 37%. (With task killer).
    Sprint is great... been with them for 10'ish years.

The thing is... the screen thing is a trade-off.
    The Amoled screen looks great. And the 4.3" screen on the Evo looks great. Depends on which one you want. I'd prefer a 4.0 super amoled though, lol.
    When I had my Evo and I was in sunlight (it could have been the auto-brightness feature) but I couldn't see anything either.

Video chat and 720p recording is really the only thing.
    I think 4g needs some kind of software optimization, cause battery is kind of meh. I don't use 4g... just wifi and 3g.
    Sense is just for looks, lol... Get a launcher instead. I'm thinking about switching to a good one.

Just take a look at the hardware and see if it is you. I'm not going to use HDMI or 4g... probably ever.
    Also, don't worry. Sprint has great service now. Please don't believe horror stories about Sprint ages ago. They have great pricing (2nd to tmobile?), awesome 3g coverage (2nd to verizon), great call coverage, fast 3g speeds, etc. Oh, and I returned my Palm Pre 4 times... each time they gave me a "new refurbished" one without question. Good service now. They really do try.

And don't believe battery reviews either. I probably would have had to charge my Palm Pre 3 times in the one cycle I use my Evo.

Bottom line: See if the sacrificing the Faster updates/Google Backing/Amoled screen is worth trading in your Nexus One. Try to hold an Evo at a nearby store and see if it's for you.
    06-06-2010 02:00 AM
    I have the Evo right now.
    Battery is great. I've been using it 8-10 hours of moderate usage and I'm at 37%. (With task killer).
    Sprint is great... been with them for 10'ish years.

The thing is... the screen thing is a trade-off.
    The Amoled screen looks great. And the 4.3" screen on the Evo looks great. Depends on which one you want. I'd prefer a 4.0 super amoled though, lol.
    When I had my Evo and I was in sunlight (it could have been the auto-brightness feature) but I couldn't see anything either.

Video chat and 720p recording is really the only thing.
    I think 4g needs some kind of software optimization, cause battery is kind of meh. I don't use 4g... just wifi and 3g.
    Sense is just for looks, lol... Get a launcher instead. I'm thinking about switching to a good one.

Just take a look at the hardware and see if it is you. I'm not going to use HDMI or 4g... probably ever.
    Also, don't worry. Sprint has great service now. Please don't believe horror stories about Sprint ages ago. They have great pricing (2nd to tmobile?), awesome 3g coverage (2nd to verizon), great call coverage, fast 3g speeds, etc. Oh, and I returned my Palm Pre 4 times... each time they gave me a "new refurbished" one without question. Good service now. They really do try.

And don't believe battery reviews either. I probably would have had to charge my Palm Pre 3 times in the one cycle I use my Evo.

Bottom line: See if the sacrificing the Faster updates/Google Backing/Amoled screen is worth trading in your Nexus One. Try to hold an Evo at a nearby store and see if it's for you.
    Went to the sprint store yesterday to try the evo.

Ran speedtest on both the EVO and my N1 (Both with 3G full bars) twice on the same servers and found that the EVO got 300k download 250k up and the N1 got 1M d/l and 1.3M u/l. Based on that and its lack of 2.2, I wont be buying one.

I hope that this doesnt reflect the speeds that most people experience on sprint's 3G but what I got in my city. I used to regularly get 400k d/l speeds on edge on my old Blackberry.
    06-06-2010 08:25 PM
    Its not too big, its easily comfortable to carry. and the nexus one is an HTC phone, same as Evo. Built quality is fantastic. Battery life is great.

You guys are missing out
    06-06-2010 11:06 PM
    I just handled an EVO at a Radio Shack and was amazed at how heavy it felt in my hand. Although I know this is subjective. Also have read some posts on another forum that indicate EVO has trouble picking up and holding WiFi. A test was conducted between N1 and EVO for signal strength etc on WiFi and the N1 came out on top in almost all of the tests. EVO did seem to be well built and very attractive in my hand. I am going to stick with my N1, although I could not fault someone for crossing over.
    06-09-2010 09:04 PM
    Like Kedar I am also using both the EVO and the N1. I actually prefer the N1 for my needs. I feel its build quality is much better. For example the EVOs back cover is a little tricky to remove and replace. When you replace it, its hard to get all the tabs in so that the cover is tight and flush. The N1 just feels solid all over. The positioning of the EVOs memory card is also a little worrisome. The N1s screen is much more crisps. Not that the EVOs is bad, but you notice the difference. I'm also seeing the issue with Wifi strength where there is typically a 10dBm difference between the N1 and EVO (using the wifi analyzer app). I will admit though, even with the difference in signal strength, the EVO seemed to access web-pages just as quickly and in some cases slightly faster than the N1.

What I like about the EVO. The front facing camera for easy video and visual chatting. While the screen isn't quite as crisps as the N1, the larger screen makes it easier to experience the web, I no longer feel it is necessary to have the mobile version of my favorite websites book marked. In my opinion the screen is significantly easier to use in sunlight. I also like the sense mail client, copy and paste from mail is ridiculously easy. I will also say that the EVO is very responsive in loading apps and moving between home screens. Finally, some people might laugh about the kickstand, but its actually pretty handy and accents the larger screen nicely.

I will be keeping the EVO, because I'm moving to an area where Sprint's coverage is better than both ATT and TMo, and to tell the truth, despite some of the short comings it is a very nice and capable phone. But I will be keeping my eyes open for the next N1.
    06-10-2010 02:21 AM
    I would like to have an EVO. But I am located in india. Another thing is that EVO works only with CDMA and my carrier provides only GSM services.
    06-10-2010 07:08 AM
    i went to the sprint store again last night, and the evo there had real bad lag. it was very slow. i dont know if it was because of sense UI, or just because it is a display unit. but side by side with the nexus, the nexus was so buttery smooth in comparison. made me glad i had a vanilla android phone! the evo build quality does feel really good, that back cover is just nice and smooth, curved, feels awesome. but the nexus build materials and quality has the slight advantage and makes me have no regrets!
    06-10-2010 01:36 PM
    Great thread. I'm in the same boat. I have a N1 with TMo, still in my trial period for a few days. And I have an EVO as well. To be honest, I can't decide either which one is the best. I thought it was gonna be a no-brainer, after all, N1 is 6 months old already, so EVO should clearly be the better phone, but it isn't better in every way. Here is what works and doesn't work for me, perhaps that will help you decide.

Nexus One: I just LOVE it. I'm running stock Android 2.1 and find it extremely easy to use. Everything (messages, mail, my 3rd party apps) plays well together, like a well-oiled machine. Phone is fast, AMOLED screen is beautiful (except outside in sunlight), battery lasts me about a day and a half with light /moderate use. Froyo should be coming OTA anytime now and from what I've read, will make the phone run even better and allow me to tether, too for the same price? Nice!! I've been with TMo for years, and they're a great company with excellent customer service. They also have the best plans (I am on month to month with the N1) and I like that they don't make you sign a contract. The N1 is really easy to operate one-handed. Finally, the N1 works in Europe which is a plus for me. The problem is that T-Mobile's network isn't all that strong where I live so at times, it's frustrating, you just sit there waiting for the phone to find signal again. TMo is supposed to come out with HSPA + "pretty soon" (?) however (which is going to be as fast as Sprint's 4G) but we don't know when that will be, maybe months, maybe years?

EVO: because of the screen size, the mobile hotspot feature, and because it's on Sprint and Sprint's network is more solid than TMo's, out here I decided to try it out. First of all, OMG, that screen is awesome. THAT is how we were meant to see the web on mobile devices!!! All of a sudden, my N1 feels really small and websites look really cramped on it. +1 for the EVO's screen because it's easier to see in sunlight than my N1. Personally, I don't find the EVO too big. I'm not a fan of Sense UI but it does have it's pluses (KB is friendlier to use, cut and paste) and also you can turn Sense OFF on the EVO, if you want the look of stock Android (which you can't do on the INcredible). The camera on EVO is indeed amazing. For the first time, I felt comfortable leaving my Canon at home, and I used the EVO instead. I shoot at 3 MP only and still, the photos are amazing (in good light). The speaker phone is louder so when you navigate in your car using google maps, you can hear that better. I really hate having to deal with Sprint again (used to be with them and really hated customer service, etc.) but their network out here is indeed faster. The Sprint plan will cost me about $15-20 more than the T-Mo plan.

Hope something in this post helps you make your decision.
    06-11-2010 01:45 PM
    I forgot to say. The battery on the EVO isn't as horrible as you may think. For the first couple of days or so, you may get through it really fast, in a few hours. After several cycles, I get about a day's use light/ moderate use. Less than the N1 but between 10 and 14 hours, which is still pretty good.
    06-11-2010 01:48 PM
    not me..... front facing camera doesn't mean anything to me
    06-11-2010 06:35 PM
    I have hand hands on with Droid, iPhones, Nexus one and This past week the EVO. I am going to get a N1

I have average hands for a guy 5'11 and to me the EVO is just a wee bit to big for my taste. Add a case and it's just too much for me. Yes the screen is sexy, but not really that much more so than the N1 & if screen size is your biggest factor for choosing a phone, get the EVO. Other wise I like the N1, of all the phones, it just feels the best.

EVO has crashed/rebooted 1 once this week mid conversation. And froze once unlocking the phone.

Sound quality is not as good as the N1. I also think the voice2text is better on the N1. (maybe the 2 mics???)

I guess if your a phone gamer or watch a lot of video get the N1.
    06-11-2010 09:51 PM
    I received an EVO4G at I/O and I have played with it a little bit since then.

Personally I prefer my Nexus One for many reason not the least of which is Vanilla Android which just seems more responsive and less intrusive than SENSE.

Dan
    06-14-2010 09:44 AM
    I am thinking of going from EVO to AT&T N1. But haven't been able to handle an N1 yet. Does Tmo have these in stores now to check out?

I have been using an EVO for a few weeks and as a device it is great with a few shortcomings...
    + front camera - don't care now but when skype comes front camera will be huge plus
    + typing on huge screen in landscape is faster than my old slider which I thought had great keyboard (att tilt)
    + huge screen again - can read most webpages in landscape without zoom - might need to hold N1 closer
    +/- no issues with sprint coverage but do notice times when 3G or 4G speed is more like 2G
    +/- 4G is fast, maybe average 2x average 3G speed, but doesn't penetrate into interior of my office building as well and no 4g at home
    - fairly often hit search button accidently and occasionally trigger a touch of screen just from fingers holding the edges
    - battery doesn't seem great but does get me through a day, for the screen tradeoff I don't think battery is all that bad
    +/- camera is nice but just not as sharp as I would like when fully zoomed - still better than any other
    + everything loads and runs smoothly
    - in call speakerphone is a little quiet and sometimes others have hard time hearing me when using speaker (othwise speaker is awesome for other apps)

Can anyone comment on ATT 3G with N1? I have heard some mixed reviews of that and some other issues that may be particular to the ATT variant. I don't even know what the coverage is like in my area because the 3g wont work on my tilt, but iphones users don't seem to have any issues. Thanks
    06-14-2010 12:47 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD