Does AT&T suck on the Nexus One?

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
(I did a search but found nothing, so pardon if there's already a thread)

I've pretty much had it with my iPhone. Dropped calls, slow data, lousy signal strength... and it's just getting worse.

However, I've got a family plan on AT&T (5 other phones) and I'd like to keep things consolidated. I already have a Motorola Droid as a business phone, so I'm very much at home with Android.

For those of you using the AT&T version of the N1, how's your call reliability and data speeds? I've heard reports that AT&T's other devices (BlackBerry, etc.) don't have the kinds of reliability problems the iPhone does.

Happy with AT&T service on your Nexus? Or is it still the same bag of hurt it is with the iPhone?

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
(I did a search but found nothing, so pardon if there's already a thread)

I've pretty much had it with my iPhone. Dropped calls, slow data, lousy signal strength... and it's just getting worse.

However, I've got a family plan on AT&T (5 other phones) and I'd like to keep things consolidated. I already have a Motorola Droid as a business phone, so I'm very much at home with Android.

For those of you using the AT&T version of the N1, how's your call reliability and data speeds? I've heard reports that AT&T's other devices (BlackBerry, etc.) don't have the kinds of reliability problems the iPhone does.

Happy with AT&T service on your Nexus? Or is it still the same bag of hurt it is with the iPhone?

Coming from the iPhone 3GS, I don't see any change with 3G speeds or dropped calls with my N1.

I did finally have to breakdown and purchase an AT&T Microcell for home. This has made calls at home absolutely perfect - great quality and never dropped.

mreardon80

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had no trouble with calls on my N1, but I was coming from a BlackJack 2, which was showing it's age and having all sorts of problems. N1 will consistently get better reception than the i617 did, but that's a pretty old phone, so I'm not sure that counts for much. All said, AT&T's coverage isn't too bad where I live anyway though.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I have never had one dropped call since switching to N1 from my iPhone 3G. Here in Seattle area, dropped calls are rare anyway, (compared to NYC), but still I would get a couple per week.

Not one dropped call in the month since the Nexus one took over.

Also in weak signal areas the N1 holds a 3G connection much better than the 3G.

I can sit in my house and use the same speed test app on the same wifi and score 1/3 higher on the N1 as well, so the wifi chipset is much better than the iPhone.

In short, I think a lot of the bad rap AT&T gets is due to the cheap crappy chipset that Infineon supplies to Apple.

trixnrice

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
with my use and experience. its works awesome! used an HTC trinity, iphone 3g and both bold devices prior to this phone. N1 has worked the best, minus the email capabilities of the bolds.

geekaren

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
My Nexus One seems to work as well (or better) on AT&T than my iPhone 3GS.

I love the Nexus One and was thrilled to find there was a version compatible with AT&T 3g.

I say, go for it!

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Another happy N1 user here. I've found that my N1 acutlly drops less call's than my iPhone did. In one particular area my iPhone would drop the call like clock work. So far my N1 has only dropped the call once out of three times in this area.

Kage_

Mofus

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I came from an iPhone 3G where nearly every call I made from home was dropped, or wouldn't connect at all. In the three weeks I've had my Nexus One I have only dropped one call, and that was on the first day I got it. The 3G data speed seems about the same to me. Couldn't be happier with the phone.

BTW, the signal strength meter shows the same signal strength as my old iPhone did, but it just hangs onto the calls better.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I get excellent service with the nexus on ATT. No dropped calls and consistent data 2.5mbps download and 1.5mbps upload. Couldn't be happier.

Doug B

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Is the Nexus One worth the price? I'm on AT&T so i'd be paying full retail for it.

To answer this one, I think the old cliche "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" fits quite well. For some, myself included, it IS worth the price. To others it may not be. There are plenty of reasons to support either way and this isn't the thread to discuss this, and there are plenty of threads already posted about this.

To the OP... I switched from the 3G. Dropped calls and data daily with the iPhone. Service is much better with the N1 but I am starting to think about getting the Microcell for the house though. Even my wife's primitive phone gets crappy service at our house. My line of work takes me into the foothills and mountains often and AT&T is the only provider to get a signal where I go so switching providers is not a reasonable option for me.

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Happy here too. My N1 is rock solid with data. I've never switched over to EDGE, which my iPhone sometimes did.

The thing is, it might do that during a call and you would never notice. The hand-off to edge is flawless. This is where the iPhone failed most often.

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
N1 on ATT for me is great. Depends where you live I would imagine. If ATT sucks in your area, its just going to suck with anything. The iPhone radio is pretty bad though so there is an improvement there, but no guarantees it will make it good in an overloaded area (like NYC).

Its definitely worth the money to me. More solidly build than the other phones (similar to motorola droid in terms of "feeling" of quality as opposed to plasticy /flimsy feeling most others seem to have) from HTC, no Sence UI which is great, no ATT interference with the OS ect, and APPS to SD coming in Froyo gets rid of the issue with internal memory (that most Android phones continue to have minus the Incredible).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon