06-23-2010 12:46 PM
29 12
tools
    Why do people always say that if you get a new Android phone, "you just login and then everything is there"
    I don't know. That's just what I was told by the support lady. I did notice it still lists all my old apps as downloaded in the Market, and pictures that didn't show up in the gallery before do now so it doesn't lose everything.
    06-19-2010 02:12 AM
    I don't know. That's just what I was told by the support lady. I did notice it still lists all my old apps as downloaded in the Market, and pictures that didn't show up in the gallery before do now so it doesn't lose everything.
    I didn't mean just you. A lot of tech people say it on podcasts as one of the nice features of Android (for example: Gina Trapani on This Week in Google & Peter Rojas of gdgt.com seem to mention this feature every once it a while).

I guess I'm just confused on if, say, I got a brand new Android device, turned it on, logged in, what would show up? What of my data and apps and login settings would be there?
    06-21-2010 01:51 AM
    I guess I'm just confused on if, say, I got a brand new Android device, turned it on, logged in, what would show up? What of my data and apps and login settings would be there?
    When logging into your Google account from a new Android device (whether out of the box, factory reset or new ROM image), there are several things that will "show up" based on your Google account and the information stored there.

Contacts, GMail, Google Calendar and some of your phone settings (this varies by device and what gets sent to your Google account by the device during sync). This means that if you lose your phone, upgrade to a new device or root/flash a new ROM image, your Google account will "automatically" sync these items to your phone over a data connection (whether WiFi or carrier data network) when you sign in on your device. The advantage of having this data saved in "the cloud" is that a PC is not required to restore your contacts, GMail, Calendar, etc.

The downside is that apps are individually installed per device (and per user) and while the Android Market may show apps as downloaded, this is likely because the apk (install file) is still on your memory car... and not because the app is actually installed. This means that apps must be re-installed...

I hope this explanation helps.
    06-22-2010 10:06 AM
    Okay, thanks for the explanation. So, that isn't as convenient as people make it sound. From the way they make it sound, I was under the impression, that you just login, and all of the apps you downloaded are there and all of your settings, wallpaper, etc. are there still.

Generally, setting up Gmail, Contacts, and Google Calendar is pretty easy. I could do that on an iPhone in seconds (without a computer). On an iPhone I could restore all of my apps & music through iTunes.

Are you saying that I would need to re-download each individual app on Android?
    06-23-2010 12:46 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD