ATT Data Plan?

JWRutledge

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have been using my N1 for about a month now. My ATT data plan is the iPhone Enterprize plan, and I use my companies Activesync server.

The iPhone Enterprize plan seems to work ok, but I have noticed the following issues.

1) The phone shows that it is roaming almost all of the time.
2) A few times a week my text messages stop woring and I have to
reboot to fix this.
3) Reduced signal quality from whatmy BBs, and iPhones had in the same
areas.

I am cocerned that perhaps by using the N1 on my iPhone plan I am not getting the network connectivity I need becasue of the mismatch between data plan and phone hardware.

So my question is, which data plan are the other ATT N1 users signed up for?

Should I change my data plan from the iPhone Enterprize plan to something else?

I appreaicte the help.

JWR

Doug B

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I still have my N1 on a regular iphone data plan and don't have any issues. In fact my data service, and voice, are better than they were with my iphone.
Aren't enterprise accounts managed by the business they are associated with?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I use the 15 dollar unlimited data plan on ATT with my nexus. But honestly it really doesn't effect your signal or anything being on a different plan. Remember the nexus signal meter just shows more conservatively compared to other phones. But it still works just the same holding a call and data. It's just visually lower.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I use the 15 dollar unlimited data plan on ATT with my nexus. But honestly it really doesn't effect your signal or anything being on a different plan. Remember the nexus signal meter just shows more conservatively compared to other phones. But it still works just the same holding a call and data. It's just visually lower.

There is no such thing as a 15 dollar unlimited data plan on 3G for any smart phone on At&T. Are you sure you aren't sneaking by with an old Razr plan?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
@JWR:

If you take it in to AT&T they will make ONE change in the computer and all that change does is remove Visual Voicemail from your account options.

My N1, using an enterprise plan never shows roaming, (its a national plan).

Got to Settings / Wireless and networks / Network Operators, and select "Automatically select preferred network".

Dial *#*#4636#*#*
Select Phone Information,
Scroll down to Set Preferred Network Type
and make sure it is set to WCDMA Preferred -OR- GSM auto PRL

*This is a AT&T version of the Nexus One isn't it?

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
There is no such thing as a 15 dollar unlimited data plan on 3G for any smart phone on At&T. Are you sure you aren't sneaking by with an old Razr plan?

That's what the case is. Many people are still rockin the $15 unlimited MEdia Net packages designed for "dumbphones". In terms of APN access and port availability, there is literally no difference between it and the smartphone plans except for the price. Just AT&T's way of collecting more money from those who use more bandwidth.

I was running on the MEdia Net unlimited (which was actually offered to me by CS when I switched from my BlackBerry data even though I told them specifically to give me smartphone unlimited because I had a Nexus One). They offered it so who was I to turn it down. :D. But knowing very very well how they operate when it comes to services such as that, I made sure to get myself grandfathered into smartphone unlimited the day before the switch to the new packages.

JWRutledge

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
This is an ATT N1. Using a national enterprise plan. I have never seen a roaming indication and I have used this plan with several other phones. After I got the N1 I stared getting it from day 1.

I did go check the settings mentioned by icebike. The settings appeared to be correct in both locations.

That said, after I went to both locations the roaming indication has gone away. I will watch it for the next day or so and see what happens.

Thanks

JWR

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been using my N1 for about a month now. My ATT data plan is the iPhone Enterprize plan, and I use my companies Activesync server.

The iPhone Enterprize plan seems to work ok, but I have noticed the following issues.

1) The phone shows that it is roaming almost all of the time.
2) A few times a week my text messages stop woring and I have to
reboot to fix this.
3) Reduced signal quality from whatmy BBs, and iPhones had in the same
areas.

I am cocerned that perhaps by using the N1 on my iPhone plan I am not getting the network connectivity I need becasue of the mismatch between data plan and phone hardware.

So my question is, which data plan are the other ATT N1 users signed up for?

Should I change my data plan from the iPhone Enterprize plan to something else?

I appreaicte the help.

JWR

When it comes to how features are programmed in AT&T's system, it's a little bit more complicated than just what the name of the feature is.

For example, if you have the smartphone unlimited plan with unlimited messaging for $50 (before they got rid of it), the $50 billable part is just the name of the feature. The actual services associated with it are automatically provisioned as subfeatures. Here's an example:

SmartPhone Unlimited with Messaging - $50.00
- Unlimited Data - $0.00
- Unlimited Messaging - $0.00

It's those subfeatures that truly control what your phone can do (and how you'll be charged).

No matter what the bundled plan is (iPhone Personal, iPhone Enterprise, BlackBerry Personal, BlackBerry Enterprise, SmartPhone Personal, SmartPhone Enterprise, etc.), the subfeatures that control messaging are all the same. I know that the iPhone plans sometimes (maybe always now?) label the messaging subfeature differently. But it's still the same network services. So you using the iPhone Enterprise plan on your Nexus One would not effect your use of text messaging. It'll either work or not work. I did at one point get that issue where the messaging stopped working. But it was a phone bug. Not network. And ever since I did a hard reset (which was to change my primary Google account, not due to bugs), it hasn't happened since and that was almost a month ago.

In terms of the roaming, your phone would only report roaming if it is making communication with a local cell tower that is not considered part of AT&T's "home network". Sometimes, just getting a new SIM can correct that. Although it could be your network settings. I would check the standard network settings as well as the *#*#INFO#*#* menu and make sure everything is configured correctly.

In terms of signal, I will say personally that I don't experience as strong of a signal with my N1 as I do with my BlackBerry. In my office, my BB usually stays at good service (not full) and sporadically drops low. Right next to it, my N1 will stay at moderate to weak signal and occasionally lose it altogether.

If you want to just go all out and try to fix everything at once, you should sync your phone with AppBrain for your apps and back up the data you need such as SMS, etc. And then do a hard reset of the phone. It fixed the SMS issue for me.

Just my suggestions. Hope that helps at least a little.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

I'm using the regular media net plan I've had for the last 4 years. I don't buy ATT phones, haven't signed a contract or even went to ATT store for over 4 years. So far so good with all the unlocked phones I've used like my Nokia n95, n97, 5800, nexus one.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the regular media net plan I've had for the last 4 years. I don't buy ATT phones, haven't signed a contract or even went to ATT store for over 4 years. So far so good with all the unlocked phones I've used like my Nokia n95, n97, 5800, nexus one.

Sooner or later they will find you... ;-)

They forced all the iPhone users onto the 30 dollar data plan, and will probably notice you one of these days, now that they are watching bandwidth more closely.

But hey, great while you can get it for that price...

JWRutledge

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
How is this for irony.

After checking the settings in the areas mentioned above, everything looks like it was set properly. I made no changes just went to both areas and verified settings.

Since then the roaming indicator has not popped up. However my signal has become more fragile than before.

Now when I wonder my building at work I completely loose signal where I used to roam but had signal before. Some other areas are better than before also.

Some of this will have to be taken with a grain of salt, because the area that I live in is about mediocre at best for signal quality. I just find it amusing that I am trending worse coverage now that the phone has stopped roaming.

Regardless things seem to be working "better" minus a few areas.

I appreciate the help everyone.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Sooner or later they will find you... ;-)

They forced all the iPhone users onto the 30 dollar data plan, and will probably notice you one of these days, now that they are watching bandwidth more closely.

But hey, great while you can get it for that price...

Trust me I know. I'm a mod over at the ATT forum at howardforums and everybody with a nexus has been switched to the 30 dollar plan except for a few of us.