mobile hot spot on 2.2 question???

Yummy Flaquito

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Okay quick question I'm using the mobile hot spot on the new 2.2 and I'm on AT&T. Does any one know if I will be getting charged extra or does fall into my "unlimited" data plan?

Thanks!!! :D

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
"TECHNICALLY", tethering is not allowed in any form with your AT&T data plan. Will they know about it? Probably not. Will they charge you extra? Probably not. That is, of course, you go data crazy with insane transfers using it which might raise a red flag.

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you have to remember to keep an eye on your data charges. If you're tethering you can use up your data very fast.

Luckily, I came over from an older iPhone account and still have the unlimited data "grandfathered" in. I'm so glad I didn't decide to reduce my bill slightly by changing to the 200MB or 2GB plan.

Yummy Flaquito

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the input OCK and TJP888 I will be looking at account very carefully at next couple of days.

I also have that unlimited data "grandfathered" plan...All thanks to my iPhone, I guess something good did come from that phone. :)

KrispyKrink

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Definitely keep an eye on it. AT&T is now charging iPhone users $20 for the privilege of tethering. And Verizon, when they detect it on their network, they either redirect you to a portal site and prompt you to add a tethering option to your plan or surprise you with a nice fat bill.

With T-Mobile, it's free.

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Could someone give instructions for how to set up the Bluetooth DUN?

I have the n1 on ATT and am using a MacBook.

Thanks,

aviduser

J-Mar

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
This mobile hotspot feature is incredible. I've used it a couple times on trips when I'm at small airports with no wifi.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes the hotspot feature is amazingly well done. Setting it up is drop dead simple. And It didn't seem to kill the battery that much at all.

Its great for those things you don't want to do on the phone, like sending attachments that are on your computer.

You get two choices: Open or wpa2. No half baked wep or wpa.
Its a full Infrastructure router with dhcp server, dns server, so everything works as if it was a linksys or netgear. Slicker than snot on a gold tooth.

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Could someone give instructions for how to set up the Bluetooth DUN?

I have the n1 on ATT and am using a MacBook.

Thanks,

aviduser

I was momentarily stuck in the past for a bit. Then I figured out that the phone and the laptop were linking via WiFi, not Bluetooth as in the olden days.

DOH! :eek:

Cool feature indeed.

aviduser

rickydross

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Definitely keep an eye on it. AT&T is now charging iPhone users $20 for the privilege of tethering. And Verizon, when they detect it on their network, they either redirect you to a portal site and prompt you to add a tethering option to your plan or surprise you with a nice fat bill.

With T-Mobile, it's free.

TMo has free tethering?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781