Should I root?

tagon

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
When I first got my Nexus one I had every intention to root it, so I made a list of what I wanted this root to do for me. The features that by default my sexy nexy did not have. However since I did not get the Nexus at release and wait a few months I made the choice to wait until 2.2 was out to see if I got the functionality.

And here in lies my issue. Almost everything I wanted from root I have gotten from froyo. The only thing missing is FM radio, which I want just to say I have I don't seem myself using it, 720p video recording and screenshots.

And two of those things and not fully out yet. And although I would like the ability to take screenshots without hooking it to my computer it would only to send pictures to those Iphone users that think that Iphone is the only phone that does anything, and honestly I know less and less of them everyday.

So why should I root my phone, what am I missing that I would get that would make it worth my time. Keep in mind I do know that universal root has been updated to support the nexus so the root process is simple.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Well your question is actually two fold. Just by rooting your phone, unlocking the boot loader, doesn't change any of the features available to it. So you can root your phone and leave the stock ROM loaded.

Once your rooted if you want to start playing with other ROMs then a whole new world awaits you.

From what I have read Google has said that once you root your phone you void the warranty, but I have seen several people that have been able to send in there phones to HTC for repair/replacement with no issues once they have unlocked the boot loader.

The nice thing about the N1 and android in general, if you get tired of messing with other ROM's you can always go back to the stock N1 ROM with no issues with maybe the exception of OTA firmware updates.

So it comes down to the question, do you want/need the extra features available to you in a 3rd party ROM and is it worth the time to get the new ROM(s) running on your device.

I know not a whole lot of help, but it's a start.

Check out the hacking section for the N1 for more info about rooting and such.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-one-roms-hacks/

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I can't write a lot now, but there's a whole lot you can do with root. You get to just tweak and tweak some more and try new things every day. It makes the phone like a whole new device all the time. It really is totally worth it To root.

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
There are two ways to actually root the N1 without unlocking the bootloader which wont void your warranty: a manual way and an easy-to-use one-tap Android app. Both of these methods are on XDA forums :)

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Honestly though, once you're rooted and/or running a custom ROM, there will be functionality and features available to you that you probably haven't even thought of that will make you not regret the process one bit. ;)

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Honestly though, once you're rooted and/or running a custom ROM, there will be functionality and features available to you that you probably haven't even thought of that will make you not regret the process one bit. ;)

yeah exactly. for 3 months i didnt root, and i thought what's the big deal etc. but once i finally rooted and browsed XDA, thigns you never even considered are available and just makes the device 100% more fun. trying out new mods, apps, functions, etc. it makes it into a whole new device over and over.

miniZ

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I was stuck on this same fence. It turned out best I didn't as I had my power button fail and it would have been out of warranty if rooted. Thank you, laziness!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams