Running an app on each desktop

ufoDziner

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello,
Is there a way that I can have an app open on each desktop and slide between the desktops like I can with all the apps closed? Thanks

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately you've got the wrong idea here. It'll help to not think of Android like a desktop computer. Your Homescreen is not a desktop, it is a place to access often used apps or widgets for apps. Apps do not run on the homescreen, it is an app itself. There isn't really a way to switch from app to app like alt-tab or something without a 3rd party app. Apps do continue running in the background until you or the system stop it, you just launch the app again pick up where you left off.

The quick answer to your question then is no. There is an app that has potential as a good app switcher called Visual Task Switcher. It's not perfect, but it could be good with some work.

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation. I will see if Visual Task Switcher can help me achieve the alt-tab like switch.

It's good, but it's not quite there yet. I bought the paid version because I want to encourage the dev to keep working on it.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
There isn't really a way to switch from app to app like alt-tab or something without a 3rd party app. Apps do continue running in the background until you or the system stop it, you just launch the app again pick up where you left off.

That's not quite right.

Long press Home. Recent apps appear. Tap one, and you will see it reappears exactly as it was when you left it.

You can use a long-press as an app switcher.

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
True, but it's not really an app switcher. The OP was looking for information on task switching, like an alt-tab or WebOS card view or iOS4 switcher. Long-press home isn't quite the same thing as it presents closed apps as well.

This is one feature that I really think is missing from Android. I'd really like to see it addressed in Gingerbread.