The official "Where the hell is Gingerbread?" thread

decyphersmc

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I think part of the big problem is precisely because they have promised N1 owners Gingerbread 'in the coming weeks'.

If they had said, N1 may or may not get Gingerbread, we could debate whether or not it would and sit back and see what happens.

But when it's said to be arriving in the coming weeks, is it so wrong to expect it in the coming weeks?

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Rest of overly abusive rant deleted. Bit harsh don't you think?

The Update didn't even exist when you bought your phone argument sounds like you came straight from the iPhone Forums over at Apple.com.

That argument may fly there, but it has no place in the Android world.

Android phones are bought precisely because they are expected to be upgraded. Its called the Open Handset Alliance for a reason.

The Nexus One was the device Gingerbread was developed on. How can it not be ready for Gingerbread if that is what was used to develop it?

Now I don't mind waiting a few weeks, and one or two more weeks won't kill anyone. But when its for some pride-of-place bone thrown to Samsung its a little lame.

There are already rumors of a new version of the Nexus S, coming out with 2.4

How can it Possibly be TOO Early for the Nexus One release?

Oh, and why do you have to post like such an Ass. Can't we all just get along?

You're dancing all around the issue: It is your expectations which aren't met, not promises from Google, HTC or any other company. If they meet your expectations on issues, then it reflects well upon them, but at the same time those companies are not responsible for meeting your expectations. All they can do is do their own jobs.

It has been widely reported that there may (since pilot error is always possible in such matters) be a SMS bug in Froyo. If so, it would make perfect sense that any further rollout of Gingerbread is held up until the matter is addressed; they can do rolling updates to the Nexus S phones in service because their number is relatively small, but I am sure the last thing Google wants is to release a buggy Gingerbread upon this whiny constituency. At the same time, the company isn't about to issue a press release (or a Tweet) and announce that the holdup is due to fixing bugs--no software company wants to admit to any bugs.

Meanwhile, we are today just ten days removed from a Jan 4 Tweet promising the update "in the coming weeks". I think they are well within the promised timeline and sobbing over the passing of a few days is just too ridiculous for words. This is hardly like the treatment Galaxy S owners have received, for example, or Cliq owners.

That is why some of the snit-fit rhetoric here is so overheated and comical, with one vowing to never buy an Android phone again after the way he feels he has been treated--well, see ya.

As to the OHA--that has nothing to do with a presumption of being fed a steady diet of OS upgrades the day they're completed. OHA is a series of developmental standards for hardware and software, differentiating Android from iOS and Windows Mobile by making no part of the hardware or software off limits to developers, and by eliminating restrictions from the source on the carriers for how the hardware and software may be deployed. This is why there are a half-dozen skin schemes--no such thing would happen with iOS or WinMo.

Where OHA becomes relevant to the topic of OS upgrades has to do with rooting the phone, something discouraged with other phone OS but certainly not so with Android. Because of OHA, a developer will get the ROM for a phone within weeks of its debut and be able to fabricate it for download on other phones--now THAT is a way one could add Gingerbread on another phone without an official push.

Finally, the complaining about the Gingerbread update is so silly when juxtaposed to what Samsung has done with the Galaxy S owners. Instead of a few days, those owners have been waiting six months for a promised update to Froyo (think about that, for a second). If the report in the AndroidSpin site is correct, Samsung is now keeping T-mobile from releasing the update for the Vibrant users because of the pending release to the sequel to the Galaxy S, which will ship with Froyo (but not Gingerbread), have FFC, an NFC chip and HSPA+ radio. But for a dual-core CPU and Gingerbread, this phone would be a Nexus S with the addition of FFC and HD video capability not found in the Nexus S.

Samsung, according to the report, believes that an updated Vibrant would close enough of the gap between the Galaxy S and S Plus so that it would hurt the sales of the new phone.

Now that is something to be upset about: Six months of waiting, and whispers on the street are that the manufacturer is suppressing the OS update for business reasons. This little bit of nothing about how many days before Gingerbread is released for the N1 doesn't come close to meeting that level of anxiety.

kevykev

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
GeoKaplan loves to talk about how people have no lives and thusly are overfocused on an update that was promised in November to be "in the coming weeks."

And yet he posts endlessly, pointing fingers and foaming at the mouth-- the portrait of a bitter hypocrite who is truly off his meds.

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
GeoKaplan loves to talk about how people have no lives and thusly are overfocused on an update that was promised in November to be "in the coming weeks."

And yet he posts endlessly, pointing fingers and foaming at the mouth-- the portrait of a bitter hypocrite who is truly off his meds.

That was your best shot? Really?

Seriously, princess, you're the only one who has shown an overload of estrogen here.
Utterly and completely absurd the way Google has handled this.

N1 was my first and probably my last Android device if this sort of amateur hour treatment is what I have to look forward to.

The update to existing phones wasn't promised "in the coming weeks"; it was Gingerbread itself, which was (on schedule) in the Nexus S.

The video is available here; you can skip ahead to the last question, posed by a writer for Engadget. That question was not "when will kevykev see Gingerbread on his phone?" but "when will we see [Gingerbread on phones]?" Schmidt's answer is "[in the] next few weeks", and his statement was truthful when the Nexus S made its debut 12/16 in the US and 12/20 in the UK.

The Tweet from GoogleNexus, whether sent 12/20 or 1/5, is still within the realm of "weeks". What remains amazing is your histrionics over the absence of a Nexus One release to date. It is merely an OS update, not essential food, water or air. Your over-the-top whining serves only to carbon date you as being among the AYSO generation, feeling entitled to everything you desire and unable to cope with disappointment in a productive way.

kevykev

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
That was your best shot? Really?

Seriously, princess, you're the only one who has shown an overload of estrogen here.

The update to existing phones wasn't promised "in the coming weeks"; it was Gingerbread itself, which was (on schedule) in the Nexus S.

The video is available here; you can skip ahead to the last question, posed by a writer for Engadget. That question was not "when will kevykev see Gingerbread on his phone?" but "when will we see [Gingerbread on phones]?" Schmidt's answer is "[in the] next few weeks", and his statement was truthful when the Nexus S made its debut 12/16 in the US and 12/20 in the UK.

The Tweet from GoogleNexus, whether sent 12/20 or 1/5, is still within the realm of "weeks". What remains amazing is your histrionics over the absence of a Nexus One release to date. It is merely an OS update, not essential food, water or air. Your over-the-top whining serves only to carbon date you as being among the AYSO generation, feeling entitled to everything you desire and unable to cope with disappointment in a productive way.
So basically, you're mentally ill.

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
A co-worker said when he was at mountain view earlier this week there was a conference room with a door tag saying "Nexus One Gingerbread" claims there were a LOT of people in the room but authenticator wouldn't let him in. I'm sure it won't be much longer, if our devices start getting it first, i'll chime in the moment it happens.

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
GeoKaplan what device do you have?

N1, just like most (if not all) here.

The difference is, I have family members who have owned phones like the Galaxy S and the Cliq to know from observation what genuine broken promises and abandonment look like.

All that we have here is a vague timeline and unwarranted frustration with that timeline not being interpreted to the letter.

kevykev

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Jeepers, that stings so bad.

Run off and play now.

It's not meant as an insult but as an observation based on what you've shown us of yourself here. Not sure if you have good health insurance, but I'd seriously look into getting some help. Possibly just counseling, but it seems like you might really need to be on some medication. Good luck with everything.

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
It's not meant as an insult but as an observation based on what you've shown us of yourself here. Not sure if you have good health insurance, but I'd seriously look into getting some help. Possibly just counseling, but it seems like you might really need to be on some medication. Good luck with everything.

Kids are just so darn cute when they pretend to be all grownup.

It is a damn shame you revealed yourself as a whiny little bit?h at the outset. Otherwise, you might have fooled someone.

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Come on guys..let's tone it down before the thread gets locked..

Sorry. You're right, of course.

It is just my low threshold for kids who believe they have an entitlement to "free" music, unlimited upgrades and everything else they desire.

It will happen when Google says it will, and it won't cost anyone a penny. Whining about the waiting serves no purpose other than to reflect poorly on the whiner.

Here's hoping the update is worthy of the anxiety the waiting has caused some (and that it doesn't break half our apps).

kevykev

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Kids are just so darn cute when they pretend to be all grownup.

It is a damn shame you revealed yourself as a whiny little bit?h at the outset. Otherwise, you might have fooled someone.

Your anger issues, thinly veiled misogyny and obsessive/ compulsive disorder look like they're masking something larger. I can't puzzle out everything that's wrong with you, but you certainly seem to hate yourself. I hope you can find the help you need.

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Your anger issues, thinly veiled misogyny and obsessive/ compulsive disorder look like they're masking something larger. I can't puzzle out everything that's wrong with you, but you certainly seem to hate yourself. I hope you can find the help you need.

You're too damn funny for words. Not intentionally so, but funny nonetheless.

Additionally, your calling anyone else "obsessive/compulsive" just made Carl Jung smile broadly. Nothing like a little projection from others to round off the evening.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1