What is so special about the Nexus One?

addictedtoblackberry

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
i need to upgrade from my blackberry 8100 and im locked onto tmo since other carriers dont get reception in my hometown in southern california. so, i might get this phone. i like the droid, but i get too many dropped calls with verizon.

but, why is everyone going crazy for the nexus one? I dont get it. it looks just as ugly as every other android phone (except for the droid. that phone looks sick). Let's admit it: the nexus one fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on its way down.

besides the 2.1 os, which some android phones will get, why is everyone going crazy for it?

is there something i am not seeing or getting?

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
That seems to be a pretty common question regarding this phone right now. In fact, it's discussed pretty extensively in this very forum.
And the answer seems to be that no, you aren't missing anything.

barnettj

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand all the techy stuff anyway. I am excited about the phone if it is indeed coming to TMO. I have the G1 right now, which I love. But I am ready for an upgrade. Though I rarely use the camera, I would like to have a better one than the G1 has. There are a few other things also.
Like many on the forum here, I came from BlackBerry (on Verizon). I didn't really have a pleasant experience with the Storm. So, when we switched to TMO, I wanted to try an Android phone. At the time we switched, the G1 was the only Android phone they had. I think the MyTouch was a couple weeks away from launch.
Anyway, that's why I am excited about the phone. I guess I am a geek-wannabe.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
i need to upgrade from my blackberry 8100 and im locked onto tmo since other carriers dont get reception in my hometown in southern california. so, i might get this phone. i like the droid, but i get too many dropped calls with verizon.

but, why is everyone going crazy for the nexus one? I dont get it. it looks just as ugly as every other android phone (except for the droid. that phone looks sick). Let's admit it: the nexus one fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on its way down.

besides the 2.1 os, which some android phones will get, why is everyone going crazy for it?

is there something i am not seeing or getting?

get a Tmobile 9700
and go here CrackBerry.com – The #1 Site for BlackBerry Users & Abusers
merry christmas

cloudstrife13

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Motorola Droid:
600MHz CPU (under clocked to 550MHz)
256MB RAM
512MB ROM
CDMA\1xRTT\EVDO
854x480 3.7" LCD Display
Android 2.0.1

HTC Nexus One:
1GHz CPU (probably also under clocked but faster then Droid)
512MB RAM
512MB ROM
Quad-band GSM\EDGE\AWS 3G (T-Mobile in the US/ Wind Mobile in Canada)
854x480 3.7" OLED Display
Android 2.1

Yes people are saying Android 2.1 on Droid is even faster then 2.0.1 but with those kind of specs the Nexus One will still be faster. The Droid's screen is great but the OLED screen in the Nexus One is suppose to be one of the best screens on a phone yet.

Not to mention I'm up in Canada, Noone really knows when our carriers will get the Moto Droid. Nexus One being rumored to be unlocked meaning I'll probably be able to grab one before Droid is even here. It's got me excited, though if you just got a Droid I wouldn't be worried

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The actual speed difference wont be much. Just updating the Droid to 2.1 has shown significant increases in UI speed and responce. A lot of the "lag" in android can be fixed with software updates. The snapdragon in all tests I've seen has seen very small increases in rendering and performance over the current chip in the Droid, with some tests showing no difference at all. Of coarse, down the road will there be software that is better suited / coded for the rendering on the snapdragon? Probably, but by that time you will be ready for a new phone.

What is IS, is a nice alternative to those who A) Don't want a slider, and B) those who may be on another network (Tmobile ect) since there will be both CDMA & GSM versions of the "nexus one", or as we like to say in Reality land, the Passion / Incredible / Bravo.

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I personally think the droid is HIDEOUS vs the N1... beautiful... just my opinion and thats whats cool about android.. there is a phone for every taste. as far as what our are missing... hmmm.. time will tell. All the reviews are raving about it and it looks like it should be the phone that will make android more mainstream.. hopefully.