Will you pay $530 for an unlocked Nexus One?

Will you pay $530 for an unlocked Nexus One?

• Total voters

dm33

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Whats the difference between a locked phone, and an unlocked phone that can only ever work on T-Mobile?

Lame. They should have included support for AT&T's 3G frequency to at least let you use an unlocked phone on two different carriers.

As it is its just another phone locked to one cell company, just like all the other phones. And permanently limited to the cell company with the worst coverage in the US.

Nothing new here, move along.

Sad.

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
At $530USD I would, but not at ?530UKP (perverse conning more money out of Brits thing - whatever the dollar price it is the same in UK price, adding about a third as much again in real terms for UK purchasers - so a $530USD phone would be a ?530UKP phone over here).

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
if, and only if I was on t- mobile already..then I would get it but no way in hell would I get it unlocked..my wife is kicking herself in the ass right now because she just upgraded to the my- touch 3 g on t-mobile...but she is already past the thirty day window.

Optisma#AC

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Whats the difference between a locked phone, and an unlocked phone that can only ever work on T-Mobile?

Lame. They should have included support for AT&T's 3G frequency to at least let you use an unlocked phone on two different carriers.

As it is its just another phone locked to one cell company, just like all the other phones. And permanently limited to the cell company with the worst coverage in the US.

Nothing new here, move along.

Sad.

As a Canadian, this is exciting for me. A new wireless carrier, WIND, just opened up here in the Great White North, and its running on the same spectrum as T-mobile. That means that I'll have the chance to get the phone on a great network and pay $100 dollars extra on what I would be paying for a Blackberry Bold 9700 anyways (they don't offer subsidies) :D

dm33

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
As a Canadian, this is exciting for me. A new wireless carrier, WIND, just opened up here in the Great White North, and its running on the same spectrum as T-mobile. That means that I'll have the chance to get the phone on a great network and pay $100 dollars extra on what I would be paying for a Blackberry Bold 9700 anyways (they don't offer subsidies) :D
Outside the US this might have appeal, but in the US, I don't see it. This is not a serious attempt to compete with the iPhone.
I don't understand why Google seems to go 90% of the way there, then do epic fails at even matching the iPhone.
Android 1.x web browsing usability is very poor. 2.x is much better, but why is it only available on the Droid? What is so hard about porting newer versions of Android to other phones? Something must be wrong with the basic architecture.

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Don't know why everyone is hating on tmoble and htc so much. I left verizon for tmobile because I got sick of being charged ungodly amounts of money to run my berrys. Truth is, I very seldom have run into a bad service area and I kike saving 150$ a month and getting unlimited everything. Not even a 5 gig cap on the "unlimited". I think the 350$ cancellation fee on verizon speaks for itself, not to mention all the FCC crap they are getting.

I for one think the phone and the network are going to pair well together. One of tmobiles strengths has always been the support of all things outside the box, and their network is improving daily. Will I spend 530$ to buy the nexus? Let me think.........a mytouch on steroids........uh...yeah I will. :D

trs

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
tooo expensive ... no multi-touch !

the screen is impressive ... but even on HTC HERO "PEEP" is not running so why to pay so much for a NEW mobile ... :cool:

kalldrexx

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
If the engadget article is correct, that a subsidized phone is required to be on the $79.99 plan for 2 years then I would definitely buy it unsubsidized on the $59.99 500 daytime minute + data plan, as the $20 difference will come to $480 over 2 years. Seems like a no-brainer to me, unless I am missing something.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
yes only because i paid basically the same amount for a BB 9700 on the Tmobile no contract plan. I'm willing to pay that much because I hate contracts even though I've been with the same carrier since the beginning of time

Daedalus

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry, I am just so over all this hype. As far as I am concerned Google and T-Mo can take there wonderful new phone and shove it.

I was all over this phone... Till I saw this release. I am due for an upgrade and it looks like I am not going to get it as I am on a family plan. I can not see why they would rule out all these other contracted accounts and hoping that this is the Minimum account you can order. We will have to see but if this is true I maybe switching carriers.

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't get why they're locking this into a specific plan. My Droid right now is part of a family plan, and I love that fact. The lack of flexibility of plans just seems like a bad idea. Especially when it's a plan nobody wants.

mbaird

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I'll be buying one for $530 the day it comes out. Sticking with the cheapest family plan on T-mobile with unlimited data. It comes out to be about the same price over 2 years as getting the phone subsidized with a new contract, except this way I have no contract!

dessa

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Let's see.... Since T-Mobile's 3G rollout broke our PalmOS phones (wife's Treo 680 and my Centro) and since our daughter has us locked into T-Mobile until May, and since my wife is liking her new HTC MyTough 3G (the 2nd google developer phone), I'm am so all over this 3rd google developer phone.
I sure hope I can buy one on the 5th for delivery soon after!

Oh, and did I mention that the MobileWrite application does a passable job at replacing the on-screen keyboard with Graffiti 1 (except no "dot" to do puctuation though, sigh).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae