Nexus One on ATT anyone ?

richxps

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, is anyone running the Nexus on ATT ? If so can you give a quick review on how it works on the 2g ?

Thanks

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Well you won't suffer from the same spotty 3G issues like those users on T-Mobile but that means you are stuck on a S-L-O-W Edge only connection. To me, if I am going to pay $530 I want a device with 3G.

If you don't mind slow data speeds along with it's premium price, then go for it. If not wait a while as AT&T will have a similar HTC Android device.

*and no wifi only is not good enough for me.

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I am using my nexus one with at&t right now. Phone reception is fantastic compared to my iPhone 3G and web browsing is not comparable when I use wifi on both. I will switch to T-Mobile soon

Ryan32

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I am using my nexus one with at&t right now. Phone reception is fantastic compared to my iPhone 3G and web browsing is not comparable when I use wifi on both. I will switch to T-Mobile soon

I'd hold off on that man... Granted, i guess if your month to month it doesn't matter.... But i have not had a good experience with T-Mobiles 3G network....

It's slow as hell, that's when you actually get the signal. :rolleyes:

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
After using the MT3G I couldn't tell the difference between EDGE and 3G but after using this phone I can't understand how people lived with EDGE in the first place. I recommend that you wait for the AT&T 3G android phones to come out

anon(6936)

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
i am running on AT&T and it works great. Reception and voice quality are way better than what I experienced on the 3G iPhone. Edge is adequate in my area (Philly) for Google searches, twitter, traffic updates and Google Nav. I save the web browsing for WiFi. I really don't miss 3G at all (especially the dropped calls) -

disclaimer: work pays for the phone. If I were paying $30mo for data - I would probably insist on 3G too.

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I'd hold off on that man... Granted, i guess if your month to month it doesn't matter.... But i have not had a good experience with T-Mobiles 3G network....

It's slow as hell, that's when you actually get the signal. :rolleyes:

If I sign up T-Mobile it will be month to month. When I had G1 briefly 3G wasn't that slow and now T-Mobile rolled out 7.2 in Chicago I don't see any reason why AT&T would be faster. Coverage? Hah. AT&T's coverage is a joke. Either or T-Mobile 's 3G should be faster than AT&T's edge and cheaper.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
If I sign up T-Mobile it will be month to month. When I had G1 briefly 3G wasn't that slow and now T-Mobile rolled out 7.2 in Chicago I don't see any reason why AT&T would be faster. Coverage? Hah. AT&T's coverage is a joke. Either or T-Mobile 's 3G should be faster than AT&T's edge and cheaper.

Not going to turn this into a carrier debate but I'm shocked you get poor service with AT&T in Chicago. My service in the area is top notch.

On the other hand T-Mobile is very poor here so I would not even attempt to try the Nexus One personally. Whatever works best for you is the way to go.

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I can't imagine going back to EDGE only.. Wifi can be great but you will never always have it.

Awful lot of money to pay to have a sweet phone that is hampered by EDGE.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't imagine going back to EDGE only.. Wifi can be great but you will never always have it.

Awful lot of money to pay to have a sweet phone that is hampered by EDGE.
I just went from a Blackberry Bold 9000 on AT&T 3G to the Nexus One on AT&T EDGE and the Nexus is much quicker. Network speed means nothing if the data bottlenecks at your device. The google navigation works fantastic over EDGE and I was worried about that but it zips right along faster than Telmap Navigation(50 bucks a year) on my Blackberry on 3G. Although I will say the Telmap Navigation is top notch if you are using a Blackberry, but I wouldn't trade Telmap on 3G for Google Nav on EDGE. Google Nav is much richer and full featured and has a better search function, all while at a slower network speed!

Last edited:

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the opposite, that the 9700 Bold I had briefly on T-Mobile, was quite noticeably slower than the iPhone 3GS I had jailbroken/unlocked running on T-Mo... BB's are terrible bottlenecks... and I'm not sure if it's 100% the device, or also partially due to BIS... just an extra path for proxy data to take... more lag... more slowness.... Needless to say I'm never getting another BB again... was a HORRIBLE experience...

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Honestly its quite fast on EDGE. Anything that I would want to download thats going to be a large file, I will just wait till I'm in a wifi area, or at home.

Browser ect works pretty good. Actually faster than when I had the 3GS...

Last edited:

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I just went from a Blackberry Bold 9000 on AT&T 3G to the Nexus One on AT&T EDGE and the Nexus is much quicker. Network speed means nothing if the data bottlenecks at your device. The google navigation works fantastic over EDGE and I was worried about that but it zips right along faster than Telmap Navigation(50 bucks a year) on my Blackberry on 3G. Although I will say the Telmap Navigation is top notch if you are using a Blackberry, but I wouldn't trade Telmap on 3G for Google Nav on EDGE. Google Nav is much richer and full featured and has a better search function, all while at a slower network speed!

You can't forget it has much to do with the browser on the device and the Bold definitely does not have a "performance" browser. Turning off 3G on my iPhone 3GS and you take a huge it in speed. So that would be a better comparison to see how the Nexus One on Edge handles data. I've personally tested this today with my buddies Nexus One and a iPhone 3GS beats it on Edge only as it should and while both are running Edge it's a close competition. So to say Edge only is fast. Maybe compared to a Blackberry 9000 sure. Not compared to the iPhone 3GS.

I do agree about Google Nav. One of the best GPS apps out there currently.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Honestly its quite fast on EDGE. Anything that I would want to download thats going to be a large file, I will just wait till I'm in a wifi area, or at home.

Browser ect works pretty good. Actually faster than when I had the 3GS about this time last year.

The iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G? The 3GS did not come out until June. ;)

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G? The 3G did not come out until June. ;)

My sense of time is horrible. It was the 3GS. So now that I think of it it was probably August when I got it. It was after the local heatwave in July so there we go. Thank you kind sir, you have found my memories :D

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I noticed the opposite, that the 9700 Bold I had briefly on T-Mobile, was quite noticeably slower than the iPhone 3GS I had jailbroken/unlocked running on T-Mo... BB's are terrible bottlenecks... and I'm not sure if it's 100% the device, or also partially due to BIS... just an extra path for proxy data to take... more lag... more slowness.... Needless to say I'm never getting another BB again... was a HORRIBLE experience...

Same, one of the reasons I switched back to Android was that I couldn't stand how slow BIS was on BB. Internet browsing on BB is archaic

dman91

Banned
Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Same, one of the reasons I switched back to Android was that I couldn't stand how slow BIS was on BB. Internet browsing on BB is archaic

Indeed. This is one reason I've sold my BB and won't look back. BBs are nice phones but if you do a lot of web browsing and are into multimedia, Android definitely seems like a better way to go.

Unless RIM can fix the build quality, OS, and browser in their devices, I won't even think about buying another BB.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I'll keep my Bold to pop in the sim for when I go somewhere near water. As Blackberry goes, it's a nice device, the best IMO,(excepting the Storm which I have next to zero experience with) but I could never go back unless they did some kind of revolutionary update to their OS and UI. Right now I'm an Android(and nexus) guy.:) Of course, until something better comes along... then I'll jump if it's truly better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon01