Slow Nexus One Sales

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
What gives? Did Google/HTC hurt their sales by going with T-Mobile only first? Or has it not been properly marketed? Honestly outside of the blogs and a few tv mentions the day it was released, I have yet to see a single person mention the device. Assuming Verizon held off due to the Moto Droid may be a valid reason but what are your thoughts on this?

Sound off...

froboebel

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Maybe they wanted a slow launch. Imagine how much bigger an issue customer service would be if they pulled numbers similar to Droid.

Perhaps they just wanted to try out the new method of selling phones with a smaller number so they can work out the kinks.

Or perhaps the Nexus One was a dud. Who am I to say what Google's plan is? Haha.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Maybe they wanted a slow launch. Imagine how much bigger an issue customer service would be if they pulled numbers similar to Droid.

Perhaps they just wanted to try out the new method of selling phones with a smaller number so they can work out the kinks.

Or perhaps the Nexus One was a dud. Who am I to say what Google's plan is? Haha.

I've never heard of such a large company to actually want to start out slow... ;)

Yahma

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Slow launch due to several factors:
1. Subsidized phone is limited to one rate plan... C'mon, T-Mobile offers several plans, the subsided phone should be available on all of them.

2. Google admitted to spending no money on advertising the phone, while Verizon spent several millions in a big advertising campaign for the Droid.

3. No subsided phone for T-Mobile customers on a Family plan.

Fix those 3 issues, and Google would see sales improve dramatically.

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No advertising + Tmobile + released shortly after christmas (which is when most get their new phones) = poor sales start.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
The biggest mistake that they made was revealing on day one that there was Verizon version coming, and Tmobile must have been cursing Google for doing that. Had they not have revealed that until a month or two after the phone came out, we have seen a much larger number of people switching.

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I think that people just want to walk into a store to buy a phone. Also TMobile is not one of the biggest players. If they want to make sales, they need to be on VZ and AT&T.

R

Roy Aguilera

The biggest mistake that they made was revealing on day one that there was Verizon version coming, and Tmobile must have been cursing Google for doing that. Had they not have revealed that until a month or two after the phone came out, we have seen a much larger number of people switching.

Completely Agree.
That and not marketing it.

ridavid81

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I agree.

Putting on T Mobile with one plan and no advertising.

If it was coming to Verizon or ATT and had the same advertising as the droid it would have sold a ton more.

I still think it will sell very well when it hits verizon though.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
This puts things a bit more in perspective via BGR. Something to keep in mind is that it sold online only. Regardless of that fact it still would not have sold much more if it were sold in stores.

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site

This is a good point. A lot of people probably would have bought it because it was a new phone. However, knowing that it will be coming to Verizon in a few months --who, by the way, has a better network than Tmo-- people probably decided to wait those few months and then get it on the better network.

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Agreed, the Verizon announcement really hurt. I also think sales were lower because no one could try it out and se how it feels prior to purchasing

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

+1

any VZW user right there decided to wait it out... otherwise a few would have jumped ship for sure... same with Vodafone users....

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
coming to Verizon in a few months --who, by the way, has a better network than Tmo--

that is complete crap and totally subjective... i've had way worse experiences with vzw in the past than with T-Mo... "coverage" does not necessarily equal "the best" network... i have FULL coverage with T-Mo anywhere i go to... so coverage of the entire nation is a moot point *to me*... a network's "quality" is completely subjective based on location, proximity to towers, etc....

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
and frankly, i kinda like having a device that everyone and their brother DOESN'T have... it's a small part of why i got sick of the iphone after 2.5 yrs of use... EVERY-FREAKIN-BODY has one now!!!!!!

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
It depends on each persons needs. I am a traveling salesman and need coverage wherever I go. My car is my office and so VZ is the best for me and I will get the N1 when it comes there.

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I firmly believe that had they marketed it in the same way the Droid was marketed, the sales would have been nearly the same.

Instead, a lot more people know about the Droid compared to the few who know the Nexus One.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I firmly believe that had they marketed it in the same way the Droid was marketed, the sales would have been nearly the same.

Instead, a lot more people know about the Droid compared to the few who know the Nexus One.

Exactly!

I dont see why people are surprised by the low number sales.

They didnt advertise the phone.
The phone isnt in stores.
There isnt a Nexus One bill board on every street corner!

I really think Google would be dumb to not put this phone in the stores, eventually. IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37