Broken Screen: Options

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Just went out for a drink with a friend who was laid off and today was his last day. Unfortunately, he accidentally bumped my phone off of the table and cracked the screen. This, despite an Otterbox case with a screen protector, and landed on its back, is going to ruin my weekend.

Unforuntately, the problem doesn't end there. The AMOLED screen underneath is beginning to bleed. Colors are washed out, and it's progressively getting worse.

I was waiting for the Atrix4G to come out (you'll notice I've been posting on that board recently), but I have another month to go. And I have no backup. And I can't ask the guy who bumped it for money to replace it, as he's unemployed and desperately looking for work...

So I have four options:

1. There's a local cell phone repair shop (ifixyouri.com) that carries the glass+sensor replacement (for $99) . If they have a spare AMOLED screen (which isn't listed- I'm guessing its another $99 if they do have it), maybe they can repair it. Cost is probably going to be ~$200, that is, if they have the parts.

2. Buy a secondhand Captivate on Craigslist for ~$250.

3. Send it into HTC for repair ($120). Keep in mind that I prefer the AMOLED version, and will be replaced by a refurbished LCD one. And I'll have to figure out how to revert to stock while the screen keeps degrading. Also, I plan on getting a new phone in a month (March 6, ugh), so shipping back and forth is annoying- plus I need my phone in the meantime.

4. Buy the parts online (glass+sensor, and AMOLED replacement screen) for $120 with the DIY kit. Keep in mind that taking apart the Nexus One is complicated and tedious (there's a 45-part series of Youtube vids showing how to do this), and the results aren't guaranteed.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming the phone is out of it's one year warranty? I would send it in to HTC. $120 + warranty for the work. The screen differences are minor in my option.

I just did an advanced exchange w/ HTC due my touch screen locking up. The phone arrived quicker than I figured it would and so far the replacement hasn't had any issues.

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, the screen is completely black now, and won't turn on. Reverting to stock is impossible.

The good news is that the local repair shop can fix it for $120. Bad news, they have to order a new AMOLED screen (they have the glass+touch sensor in stock). I'll wait, and use my old HTC Fuze (hey it still works) in the meantime.