Gallery slow if not on airplane mode

Dan C#WN

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in a more general app forum but as I have a nexus one I thought I'd try here first.

My gallery is incredibly slow to load. Sometimes I just lose patience and just don't bother looking. I've noticed that this is mostly when I'm on a slow conection. When I turn airplane mode on it becomes super fast again and loads almost instantly.

I don't have picassa sync or anything like that enabled so can anyone think what might be slowing it down?

Thanks a lot

Dan

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Mine loads slow also. Nearly every time you open it. Once it starts up it is fine. Not sure why. I just tried the airplane mode and it was fast. Will have to do some more trials. I suspect that it is due to scanning my slow SD card and this time it just happened to still have the info in memory.

Dan C#WN

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad it's not just me. To begin with I assumed it was the memory card but even from a restart, the gallery loads consistantly fast in airplane mode for me. So I'm hoping it's something than can be tweaked/fixed with the right setting. It's really frustrating.

Cheers,

Dan

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
It could by because it's syncing with picasa web photos...if you have a lot of photos on there, it would slow down the gallery

Yes that is exactly the reason. Turn off syncing with picasa (its in the sync settings) and the gallery works fine. Syncing on fast wifi is ok, but the phones really don't have the bandwidth to sync a large Picasa collection.

If you ever wander into Edge Land with syncing on you can forget about using the gallery at all. It becomes totally useless.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Is the setting under accounts & sync? I don't have a picasa account and it lags anyway. I think it is just scanning the SD card which could take time with a slow card with lots of files.

Dan C#WN

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I don't use picassa and I don't sync it with my phone. There's still a massive speed difference in the gallery with and without airplane mode on. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC