Happy with your Nexus One?

Happy or Not Happy?

• Total voters

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
So the Nexus One has been released for a few weeks, I'm just curious to know if you generally happy or not so happy with your purchase and why.

Don't forget to vote!

DrewCSchultz

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Well, I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd like to see the 3g issue fixed. Other than that, I can easily say this is one of the coolest gadgets I've ever owned.

I just came from a Blackberry storm, and it was a complete disaster. It was a failure from launch day, and I never had a satisfying experience for the year that I owned it. To think that I stood in line for such a glitchy, underpowered curve-with-a-touchscreen makes laugh. To think that I checked CrackBerry every morning when I when I woke up for an OS leak makes me want to puke. My Storm froze more times than I count. Battery pulls were a daily habit. I feel like I was swindled by Research in Motion, and they lost me as a customer forever.

Hello Google. Now I have a phone that does the most simple of things for me: it works. I know this may sound silly to those coming from a decent phone. But the fact that I can type with a moderate amount of speed without my phone starting to cry makes me feel spoiled. A 3g/edge issue doesn't bother me at all compared to some of the nonsense I put up with this last year. Everything else is icing.

Android as a platform just rocks my world, to put it simply. The synchronization between google apps and the voice-to-text in any text field have to be seen to be believed. I know what they mean now when they say a "Google-experience". I have the web at my finger-tips (and it doesn't take a minutes to load a full browser page).

I thought widgets were gimmick before I had them. Now I can't live without 'em. I ran out of space on my homescreen, so I slapped a couple on my Windows 7 desktop.

If I could see one area get improved, however, I'd like to see some better games in the app store. The selection is pretty dismal. I see some good work coming out of the guys who code the ToonWarz game, but not much else. Hopefully the multitude of Moto Droids out there light a fire under some devs. butts. But I can live without FPS's on phone. Really, there's so much else to do it doesn't bother.

I hope I'm not coming off as a fanboy, but after my experience with the Storm I'm more akin to vegetarian eating steak for the first time. I can't say enough about my Nexus One. I love it.

Darthbull

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
Been very happy so far. I guess becaue it's something "different." I love the widgets. One problem that I've been running into is battery life. I've only had the device for a little while, so I'm hoping that the battery life gets better with repeat usage. Another problem that I have is the unresponsive touch screen bug. But, since this is not a "bitch" thread, I digress. Overall though, I have to say that I'm happy with it.

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I love my N1. I am not plagued by the 3G issue but I do hope the upcoming fix resolves the problem for those affected. Battery life is not great but it was also awful on my iPhone so I am used to that and I have chargers at my desk and in my car.

more games and a better cut/paste would be nice to have.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd like to see the 3g issue fixed. Other than that, I can easily say this is one of the coolest gadgets I've ever owned.

I just came from a Blackberry storm, and it was a complete disaster. It was a failure from launch day, and I never had a satisfying experience for the year that I owned it. To think that I stood in line for such a glitchy, underpowered curve-with-a-touchscreen makes laugh. To think that I checked CrackBerry every morning when I when I woke up for an OS leak makes me want to puke. My Storm froze more times than I count. Battery pulls were a daily habit. I feel like I was swindled by Research in Motion, and they lost me as a customer forever.

Hello Google. Now I have a phone that does the most simple of things for me: it works. I know this may sound silly to those coming from a decent phone. But the fact that I can type with a moderate amount of speed without my phone starting to cry makes me feel spoiled. A 3g/edge issue doesn't bother me at all compared to some of the nonsense I put up with this last year. Everything else is icing.

Android as a platform just rocks my world, to put it simply. The synchronization between google apps and the voice-to-text in any text field have to be seen to be believed. I know what they mean now when they say a "Google-experience". I have the web at my finger-tips (and it doesn't take a minutes to load a full browser page).

I thought widgets were gimmick before I had them. Now I can't live without 'em. I ran out of space on my homescreen, so I slapped a couple on my Windows 7 desktop.

If I could see one area get improved, however, I'd like to see some better games in the app store. The selection is pretty dismal. I see some good work coming out of the guys who code the ToonWarz game, but not much else. Hopefully the multitude of Moto Droids out there light a fire under some devs. butts. But I can live without FPS's on phone. Really, there's so much else to do it doesn't bother.

I hope I'm not coming off as a fanboy, but after my experience with the Storm I'm more akin to vegetarian eating steak for the first time. I can't say enough about my Nexus One. I love it.
Hey, I don't think you're a fanboy at all. I just had the same experience coming from a Bold 9000. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING about the Nexus and the Android OS is superior to the Blackberry. Even my gmail comes in as quick as my Blackberry email did. They even had me convinced that without BB that my email experience would be lacking.

Not having to deal with hourglasses, battery pulls, lagging, BIS outages, the archaic OS...and on and on and on.

It's easy to be so thrilled with Nexus and completely understandable.

Hell, just the ease at which you can surf the marketplace compared to the App World is huge. The app world app ALWAYS locked up my Bold. I was forced to download it, surf it, and then re-delete it everytime I wanted to take a look!! Now, I can download and delete apps from the marketplace in SECONDS!!:D

I've already purchased 4 apps from the marketplace and I never paid for an app in the app world in the two years I used BB! RIM made it too much of a pain in the ass. Who wants to set up a pay pal account, etc.., when Google simply syncs the marketplace with the google store. I was able to buy apps the moment my Nexus booted! No new accounts, no pay pal, just ready to rock and roll.:)

dm33

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
How are people doing with the keyboard? When I tried it, it seemed really bad for some or multiple reason(s). Is the inaccurate touch problem affecting folks?

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I came from a physical keyboard and I personally type faster on the Nexus virtual keyboard. The way in which in makes corrections and gives suggestions has really been amazing for me. I never would have ever believed that I would prefer a virtual over a physical and I certainly never would have believed I'd be faster on the virtual.

Not only that but you can't customize a physical keyboard. I'm now using Better Keyboard with the Dallas Cowboys skin! :D

I've personally never had an issue with my touchscreen being inaccurate, aside form the four soft keys. However, even the soft key issue is not an issue for me since I just touch slightly on or above the soft keys and all works well. Fact is, if Google somehow "fixes" that issue I'll have to re-adjust. I'd prefer they leave it as is.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Got mine today about an hour ago, so far I have to admit I am pretty impressed. Love the form factor. I'm using it on AT&T so no 3G but it decently quick. I'm on wifi mostly so I suppose it is not a big issue. Solid device.

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I might sound like a fanboy, but so far i don't have much problems what so ever.
I do not care pinch in/out zoom stuff... I really wish it has a lot better keyboard.
If i can get keyboard like one in iPhone i will be satisfied completely.

I do not have any 3G issues, battery problems, and all other stuff.
I'm loving it.

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I love my N1; it has replaced my home PC for 90% of what I do on a day to day basis.

That said, I'll be selling it and getting an HTC Supersonic in a few more months -- after seeing a 3.7 inch AMOLED screen, I can't resist the call of 4.3 inches of AMOLED glory.

Deathwish238

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I have been loving my nexus one. I just rooted and put on CyanogenMod today too!

I would like to see the full 512mb of ram available for use instead of just only 217mb!

KU Kitch

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I have encountered the odd texting issue that happens when you're touching the contacts on the bottom of the phone, which is weird, but no big deal. This thing is awesome, and I'm not even on T-Mo yet... can't wait for that. It's at least as good as my experience with the iPhone, and it pulls so much more data down for you that it's amazing. It's great to have such a well integrated push experience with every app or widget. I also thought they were a bit gimmicky, but it's awesome to have the actual weather of your location, time and temperature... may sound cheesy but it's awesome. The texting frustrates me occasionally, beyond that odd bug, but that's ok... wasn't perfect with my iPhone either. It's my favorite phone so far as well, and that's after 2.5 years of the iPhone, so I'd say it's a nice improvement

judasmachine

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I can say the same for my Droid. Ever since I bought it, my laptop has been resting in its bag. :cool:

Sleep tight Mr. Laptop. My netbook went into hibernation, too. I am thinking of switching to the N1 from the Eris when I can. The Eris is great, but the N1 looks better.

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
jennbailey0706.wordpress.com
I can not WAIT to buy my Nexus One. I'm a rare breed in my area - a stay at home mom who is completely obsessed and up-to-date with phones, technology, gadgets, etc. I have been excited to jump over to Android for a while now, and the Nexus One will be my first phone, and I'm soo excited. I'm with AT&T, so this makes the most sense for now - I'm not eligible for a contract upgrade anyway, so when AT&T finally gets around to releasing Android phones, I'd still have to pay more money. I still pay more money this way, but at least I'm not locked into AT&T with this phone. From all the nosing around I've done on this website, I have a feeling that Android is going to be the last stop for me. The ability to do all that it does, combined with the freedom of customizing your phone (which is HUGE to me - and not just in usability, but also in looks {I'm also a stay at home mom who loves bright colors!!}), and the fact that the app store is growing and growing and making the phone more and more functional - how can it be beat? I thought I would never leave my iphone, but even jailbroken, it was getting tired. So I'm counting down the days until February 9th, which is when I will purchase the N1!! I can't wait!!!

I'd also like to say - thanks to everyone for their opinions and suggestions about the phone. I know enough about myself and what I'll use a phone for to know that, based on what everyone here says, this phone will be perfect for me - I'm just praying I don't get one with the bugs! =)

Last edited:

odoketa

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Pre, and I miss my keyboard. I'm just not as quick, nor as accurate. That said, I'm still not using the prediction as well as I could, so we'll see. Battery life is much better than a stock Pre. The form factor is problematic - I've dropped my Nexus One four times or so already, which is scary. I guess I'll get a rubber case or something. As for 3G, I don't know yet - Sprint had excellent 3G where I am - we'll see how AT&T stacks up...

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I've had my N1 for a few days now and all is still well. Coming from a Moto Droid I prefer this form factor as I did not use the hardware keyboard much. The N1 just feels better in the hand while also being noticeably faster than the Droid. The screen is real nice as well as the Droids. While I like the Droid I'm happy I made the switch.

mo-bile#AC

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone after 3 years with one. I still have it and use it, but getting used to the N1. I really do like it. So far just a few quips which I'm sure I'll get used to:

-Accidentally hitting the soft buttons when typing. More than a few times I accidentally hit the home key when I meant to hit the space bar.

-Having to use a task killer to close applications. Why can't they include a "quit" option in the app?

-General polish of apps is sorely lacking when compared to their iphone counterparts. Why can't they have the same look and feel? Foursquare, Yelp, and Facebook are good examples. On Android, they look like they were made with some sort of WISYWIG editor by a guy in his basement, whereas on the iPhone, they have gorgeous buttons, animations, effects and more options. In general, they look more professional and "slick". That's my main beef with the UI on Android in general. Even the contacts. It just looks like a list of names. No sense of polish or design. There shouldn't be any reason for this. The Gallery app is a good example of where the UI on Android and in the apps themselves, needs to be.

But the Android experience has me hooked and I hope the lack of polish in look and feel can be addressed in future updates.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt