upgrade coming and can't decide

rotz055

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I have a Droid already and really like it. I love to customize my phones and that's really what I love most about the Droid. I have an upgrade coming up soon and can't decide if I should go with the N1 or if the Droid having 2.1 on it will be enough to satisfy me...I really like the look and feel of the pre plus, and I've had some substantial time to play with it as I work at vzw. Any insights available?

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
When it comes to the which phone is best for me question, its hard to seek advice from others. It really comes down to personal use habits, and needs and if the phone works for you. What works for me and what I love may be something that you absolutely hate, and it doesnt have enough features for you.

All the phones you are looking at are rather awesome in their own way. The webOS is pretty cool, Android is up and coming as well and taking over slowly. The features of Android are amazing, and personally I would stick with the Android UI. As for the Droid or NexusOne, depends if you want a smaller form factor design and no physical keyboard or the bigger screen and the option to use the physical keyboard.

Just make sure regardless of what anyone says that you make the best decision for yourself.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
You wont go wrong with any of those phones. The Droid is great and has a I like the hard keyboard. The n1 will be a top line phone for awhile and will most most likely receive features earlier than the Droid.
The pre I love the small size of it though the screen is to small for me, multitasking on the pre is second to non and the hi is beautiful. I had it. Given more time it will be a OS.
But I hope they fixed the slider on the pre its a weak spot. And the plastic screen scratches to easily

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
You wont go wrong with any of those phones. The Droid is great and has a I like the hard keyboard. The n1 will be a top line phone for awhile and will most most likely receive features earlier than the Droid.
The pre I love the small size of it though the screen is to small for me, multitasking on the pre is second to non and the hi is beautiful. I had it. Given more time it will be a OS.
But I hope they fixed the slider on the pre its a weak spot. And the plastic screen scratches to easily

I would have to disagree with this. Once the Nexus hits Verizon, it will be under Verizon's strict passing of upgrades and releases, like we have seen on every other device. I think it will receive the same amount of upgrades as any other device will. Also, what really about the Nexus is that much greater spec was then the Droid when you really think about it? Both chipsets can handle the same overclock, so is one reallllly better then the other?

rotz055

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with drm2blv. I don't think the n1 will be favored over the droid with updates.

I know that I like my Droid, and I can't wait for 2.1. I also know that I like the hardware of the n1 (I don't really care about the lack of keyboard on it.) The form factor is great. However, I also really like the size of pre and the webos is sweet, tho not as customizable as the droid... ugh! I also like the keyboard on the palm as it is like the bb curve, which I do like quite a bit..

I'm probably just going to have to wait until I can try the n1 in person...

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Please, no flaming from the droid crowd, but this is my take.

Nexus 1 in my opinion is leaps and bounds ahead of the droid. The nexus scraps the sub par keyboard, which makes it much slimmer. The snapdragon processor is incredible. The screen blows the droids away as well. Not to mention it is a phones entire build from the ground up is dictated by the makers of the operating system that is on it, which should equate to any os system upgrades being pushed to the device much quicker.

If you can live without a physical keyboard, you will not go wrong with the nexus.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If you look at the n1 its clear that's their test bed they come up with things and launch it first on that phone its their baby, I'm not saying the Droid wont get the updates but it will be later down the line. And its already happenned. But only time will tell

z0phi3l

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
In regards to updates, the N1 being sold and controlled by Google will always override VZW's draconian rules, only difference will be what subsidies VZW decides to throw you just like with T-Mo, you get it subsidized, but Google retains control of updates and some support

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Please, no flaming from the droid crowd, but this is my take.

Nexus 1 in my opinion is leaps and bounds ahead of the droid. The nexus scraps the sub par keyboard, which makes it much slimmer. The snapdragon processor is incredible. The screen blows the droids away as well. Not to mention it is a phones entire build from the ground up is dictated by the makers of the operating system that is on it, which should equate to any os system upgrades being pushed to the device much quicker.

If you can live without a physical keyboard, you will not go wrong with the nexus.

I can understand where you are coming from on some of your points, but not all of them are valid. Scrapping the subpar keyboard? Thats a matter of personal opinion. You cant compare a keyboard device to an all touch, you would need to make a comparison in this respect to the Eris.

Screens...what about the N1 screen is that much better? Size, no...so what is it?

The processor, ok, maybe. But the overclocked Droid runs just as well as the Nexus, so really is it that big of a deal? Are people likely to multitask the phone like a computer, odds are no.

And yes, the phone was built by Google, for their OS, I get that, but the OS will still need to pass the approval of Verizon if it is sold on their network, unless it is going to be an LTE device (which I dont believe it is) then they may be able to bypass the Verizon checks.

In regards to updates, the N1 being sold and controlled by Google will always override VZW's draconian rules, only difference will be what subsidies VZW decides to throw you just like with T-Mo, you get it subsidized, but Google retains control of updates and some support

Are you sure about that? Then why is it not like that for EVERY other cell phone MFG? I mean for BB's you see official roll outs from some carriers but not others for the same OS, because it did not pass that carriers requirements, so you think Google will just be able go over ride that and change the rules?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20