Insurance on the Nexus One?

He123321

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I have a cuz that is in love with the Nexus One, and he is ready to buy. He went to his local T-Mobile store with many questions, but only 2 were answered. :confused:

His main question was with insuring the phone. Who does he turn too, if the NO becomes defective? The reps at the store could not give him a clear answer.

Thanks for any replies. :)

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I'll be interested in anyone with true experience on this.
But an alternative may be for him to put a rider on his homeowners insurance if he owns a home. Maybe higher than typical phone insurance, but maybe it covers other items in a package that is cost-effective.
There are 3rd party insurance companies out there, squaretrade and puremobile - I've no experience with either. But read EVERYTHING. Some folks assert that even with assurion insurance that T-Mobile does offer (search their forums), the replacement would likely NOT be an N1 ! Squaretrade only goes to $399 etc.
ADS

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Ah true, but they DO re-sell insurance

They probably get a cut, and have less risk than the insurance company on the downside/cost.
I think many reps don't know because to limit their (TMo's) labor cost for support, they're taught, "direct N1 questions to google/htc". But you can apparently buy it from them.
ADS

Your "cuz" needs to contact google and ask his questions. I'm not surprised that the reps at T-mobile didn't know, as they do not sell this phone.

z0phi3l

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
They probably get a cut, and have less risk than the insurance company on the downside/cost.
I think many reps don't know because to limit their (TMo's) labor cost for support, they're taught, "direct N1 questions to google/htc". But you can apparently buy it from them.
ADS

No matter what price, you are paying Google for the phone T-Mobile just provides the service, they are 100% correct in sending you or me to Google/HTC

inrelief

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I bought a subsidized N1 w/a new tmobile contract and called t-mobile afterwords to add insurance to my account.

Worked fine.

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Agreed

My point was they nevertheless sell insurance, but the training probably has the less enlightened reps to think, all hands off, all the time, hence, many people being told there is no insurance available when there is.

No matter what price, you are paying Google for the phone T-Mobile just provides the service, they are 100% correct in sending you or me to Google/HTC

Last edited:

sd_bber

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
i bought the mytouch a couple months ago with a contract extension and got the insurance with it and when i sold the mytouch and got the nexus, i talked to a tmobile rep and they said since the mytouch is a tmobile phone, they insured that against loss, theft, or damage; if any of those happened i would pay $130 and get a new one. so i asked them if that same policy would transfer over to my new nexus, and they said yes, if its lost stolen, damaged, or malfunction i would have to pay that same $130 for a new nexus, even though its sold by google. i just had to give the rep the new IMEI so they could transfer the policy. and the insurance as like $6.

i just got off the phone with the rep just to make sure.

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I have the insurance through t-mobile. I was told if I have a problem they will be putting me in touch with asurion. my cost is 5.99$ a month. Haven't asked what the deductible is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci