Do you think signal issues will carry over to VZW N1???

H_D

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:

gregg37

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Nah. T-Mobile's service itself is crap. My friend's BB gets the same or lesser coverage than my Nexus One.

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I would not think so, since T mobile and Veizon work on two different technologies. So there will be two different radios between the GSM version and CDMA one.

H_D

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
Oh i see. I was just concerned with the placement of the antenna at the bottom of the device. I didnt know it was strictly a carrier issue. Just thought it was poor planning with where HTC placed it.

z0phi3l

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Oh i see. I was just concerned with the placement of the antenna at the bottom of the device. I didnt know it was strictly a carrier issue. Just thought it was poor planning with where HTC placed it.

The issue isn't antenna placement it was some code issues coupled with people trying to get a 3G connection at the far end of the range and having the stronger Edge signal override the weaker 3G signal

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
No, I don't anticipate issues

1. CDMA so it's a completely different radio
2. Verizon would never let it through TA.
I'm kinda new to this forum so I'm sure I'm the only one who does not know what TA (related to phones, that is) means.

A little help, please?

BTW and for the record, I was one of the first to have the N1 through T-Mobile, but the connection through that company was so poor, I sent it back inside the 2 week trial period. I've been following all of the news of the upcoming release on Verizon and anxiously await the 23rd. During the week I had it, I really enjoyed all the features it has...that gorgeous screen and all the other goodies that worked whenever a 3G signal managed to come my way.

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm kinda new to this forum so I'm sure I'm the only one who does not know what TA (related to phones, that is) means.

TA = Technical Acceptance

It is Verizon's "Quality Assurance Dept" which used to have a reputation of having high standards on phones. But since I am a current Storm owner, I think there rep was knocked down a peg.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
No, I don't anticipate issues

1. CDMA so it's a completely different radio
2. Verizon would never let it through TA.

Since this phone is being sold and supported by Google (with hardware support by HTC directly) exclusively, and Verizon will not be selling this at all, does Verizon even have any technical acceptance, short of verifying that the specs match their radio requirements?

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I know a bunch of people had issues with the HTC Touch Pro 2 radio/coverage on Verizon and Sprint but it wasn't the carriers to blame.

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Since this phone is being sold and supported by Google (with hardware support by HTC directly) exclusively, and Verizon will not be selling this at all, does Verizon even have any technical acceptance, short of verifying that the specs match their radio requirements?

I think there would still have to be some sort of certification process otherwise VZW would not allow the phones ESN number on their network. VZW is or has been extremely picky about what goes on their network, it is not as simple as just swapping SIM cards like on GSM carriers.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I think there would still have to be some sort of certification process otherwise VZW would not allow the phones ESN number on their network. VZW is or has been extremely picky about what goes on their network, it is not as simple as just swapping SIM cards like on GSM carriers.

Traditionally, yes, but two years ago Verizon announced that they were relaxing the tight control on phones that they allow on the network, and it seems as if the Nexus One will be the first handset that takes advantage of this program.

See this story on cnet from March 2008.

So, you're right, according to this, there still is certification, but not so stringent as it was before.

H_D

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm curious to see if the AT&T version will have similar issues. If it doesn't, its DEFINITELY TMobile service.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463