First Impressions!

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Things I plan/want to install, let me know what you guys like best or if they exist:

Twitter client
AIM client
RSS reader
Tapatalk - does this exist for Android yet?
Evernote - ???
Fitness app - I use iFitness & EatThisNotThat on the iPhone
PhotoEditing Tool - in case I need to blur out some info
Music Streaming app - I plan on streaming from my home PC (setting up as a server)?

Twitter client - Seesmic or Tweecaster are the best by far.
AIM client - Meebo for now. Hopefully Beejive or something as nice comes along shortly.
RSS reader - FeedR for news feeds
Evernote - Not so great on Android. 3bananas or Mobisle Notes
PhotoEditing Tool - photoshop for android, picsay and of coarse photobucket & flikr apps if you use.
Music Streaming app - Pandora

Also Must gets:

-Handcent Messaging App. Best Txt/MMS Message app by far.
-Android Agenda Widget - if you like to see next X number of things coming up in calendar in nice easy to read text on home screen
-Astro File Manager - allows access to data, backup feature, emailing files ect
-Astrid - Very functional Task Manager
-Documents to Go - Reading Word, Excel, Powerpoint docs (pro for editing)
-Keeper - Password keeper. Very secure app to keep personal data in (free on android, desktop sync is a paid program which I use...this is available on mac/pc/android/iphone/BB)
-Voice Recorder - nt
-Beautiful Widgets - Nice clock/weather widget for homescreen
-Facebook app sucks balls on Android, but still worth having
-Weatherbug app for all your weather needs
-Movies - Flixter app for movies, I also have fandango just to purchase tickets but Flixster is better for regular viewing imo
-Better Keyboard - better than stock imo, as stated by the name :eek:
-Shopper - Nice Google app to aid in shopping for items through scanning barcodes, speaking, typing names ect
-Simple Tip Calculator (SBCC CD version )- Nice, easy, simple Tip Calculator with ability to. Hose # of ppl paying, rounding abilities ect.
-Shazam - if you dont know, it listens to and identifies songs
-Quick Settings - self explanatory
-Mobile Defense - LoJack for your phone basically. Can track it as well as remote wipe ect.
-Bump - bump info to other android or iphones with the prog.
-WiFinder - self explanatory
-Bartender - for the drunkard in you
-BigOven - for the food lover in you
-Amazon App
-Amazon MP3 store app if you use
-Dictionary.com app w/thesaurus
-WikiMobile
and of coarse any news programs you like....I have BBC news, reuters, AP mobile & NPR in addition to the FeedR news feed app which is awesome.

Enjoy

Last edited:

EEZ123#AC

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like your enjoying it Duvi.. Mine will be here tomorrow. I can't wait. However if the iphone 4.0 hardware and software release this summer catches or passes the N1 or other android phones in feature/function It will make it hard not to take another look at the iPhone.

EZ

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Omg... this device feels godly in the hands. The screen is ridiculous! You never realize how good you can have it until you get something better. Apple needs to step their screen game up.

Trackball... hate them, so I'll probably get the Desire when it hits AT&T.

Size... perfect. But that's expected from HTC. They always had the hardware, just needed the software. winSLOW didn't help that cause.

WTF is lag? Maybe it's too fresh, but damnnnnn. It comes out of sleep within a quarter of a second.

How many actually charged it fully before using it? I don't think I can wait that long... lol!

Things I plan/want to install, let me know what you guys like best or if they exist:

Twitter client
AIM client
RSS reader
Tapatalk - does this exist for Android yet?
Evernote - ???
Fitness app - I use iFitness & EatThisNotThat on the iPhone
PhotoEditing Tool - in case I need to blur out some info
Music Streaming app - I plan on streaming from my home PC (setting up as a server)?

Really? This is my first phone with a trackball and I love it so far.

Are you kidding me? Have you ever used an iPhone 3GS?

I just switched from my 3GS to a Nexus One last week. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my new N1, but to say that Apple needs to step their screen game up to match the N1 is a joke. I guess you don't plan on using your N1 in the sun and want your screen presses to be exactly right. The N1 screen has a long way to go before it matches the 3GS screen. Using the N1 in direct sunlight is terrible and it is a proven fact that the 3GS touch interface is more accurate than the N1.

Like I said, I love my new N1. But the iPhone screen is head a shoulders above the N1 screen. Anyone who has used both for more than a day can see that.

Nexus is hard to see in sunlight. That's the only fault I have with the screen. The iPhone is slightly more accurate, but barely noticeable and that isn't the screen, it's the capacitive sensors underneath.

Resolution wise the N1 does have a better resolution.

#1. The sun only shines where you live in the summer? Really? Where do you live that you only see the sun in the summer?

#2. Even though you never go outside, the vast majority of users do and the N1 screen is one of the worst screens I have ever used in daylight conditions.

So what you are saying is since the screen resolution is larger, the N1 screen is better no matter that it falls far behind in daylight use and accuracy when compared to the 3GS. Really? Honestly?

Looks to me (and most others who have used both phones) like HTC is the one who is playing catchup in the screen department. Sure, the N1 OLED screen uses less power and offeres a better resolution, but the LCD 3GS screen is better in EVERY other respect.

#2 I'd rather enjoy my phone's screen most of the time than be able to use it just all the time.

So what you're saying is just because you can see what's on your screen a little better that's automatically makes the screen better? Really? Honestly? Because like I said above, the accuracy has nothing to do with the screen and everything to do with the capacitive sensors underneath. Otherwise most computer moniters, TVs, and non-touchscreen phones would be utter crap because you can't touch them.

The iPhone's LCD screen is better in one aspect and that's being able to see it better in direct sunlight.

BTW this is coming from an iPhone user who thought he'd never get another phone except another iPhone. Just got my Nexus One with AT&T 3G on the 18th and the Nexus One's screen is far superior. But the iPhone is still superior in many ways. Like copy and paste, they keyboard, media player, etc.

Last edited:

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Twitter client - Seesmic or Tweecaster are the best by far.
AIM client - Meebo for now. Hopefully Beejive or something as nice comes along shortly.
RSS reader - FeedR for news feeds
Evernote - Not so great on Android. 3bananas or Mobisle Notes
PhotoEditing Tool - photoshop for android, picsay and of coarse photobucket & flikr apps if you use.
Music Streaming app - Pandora

Enjoy

Fantastic list. I agree with BeeJive. I would love to see that on Android.

I will definitely look into all while I'm at school today... hehe. Teacher said what? Oh no, that was my Nexus One talking. :)

Sounds like your enjoying it Duvi.. Mine will be here tomorrow. I can't wait. However if the iphone 4.0 hardware and software release this summer catches or passes the N1 or other android phones in feature/function It will make it hard not to take another look at the iPhone.

EZ

Tomorrow can't get here soon enough. I'm actually leaving my iPhone home today. I was so impressed with the N1. Ha.

Really? This is my first phone with a trackball and I love it so far.

I think the trackpad on the 9700 has spoiled me. I can't use the trackball for too long or my fingers get irritated.

Last edited:

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Oh okay. Well I hear a lot of people complain about trackballs but I don't have anything wrong with them.

Wait until they get dirty, to the point where cleaning dosn't help. I never keep a device that long, but trackballs are unrealiable from my experiences.

Glad you like your device. What's your favorite things about it so far?

I'm digging the screen and the speed.

sd_bber

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Wait until they get dirty, to the point where cleaning dosn't help. I never keep a device that long, but trackballs are unrealiable from my experiences.

Glad you like your device. What's your favorite things about it so far?

I'm digging the screen and the speed.

i dont really have a problem with trackballs at the moment either, but i can see how they can get annoying with the cleanliness problem later on.

but what i dont get is people saying they would rather have the desire over the nexus because of, for one reason, the hard buttons. hard buttons have the same problems a trackball has in the longrun. dust and stuff gets stuck in the crevices and the buttons get sticky. soft buttons are much better imo.
i do see the optical trackpad and sense as being pluses, though.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
i dont really have a problem with trackballs at the moment either, but i can see how they can get annoying with the cleanliness problem later on.

but what i dont get is people saying they would rather have the desire over the nexus because of, for one reason, the hard buttons. hard buttons have the same problems a trackball has in the longrun. dust and stuff gets stuck in the crevices and the buttons get sticky. soft buttons are much better imo.
i do see the optical trackpad and sense as being pluses, though.

The trackpad is the only reason I would want the desire. Sense... ahh, not so much.

anon(13322)

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Most of the Apps that I use on my iPhone are in the Android Market. I am [VERY] excited that Knocking Live works for the Nexus One. I can still knock iPhone users! I am in love! LOL. I see no reason to go back to the iPhone right now, unless the new iPhone gets a front facing camera.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
After a full 24 hours, I'm even more in love. New things keep popping up making me love it even more!

• Google Voice intergration: The option to dial out with Voice is sweet or even prompt to which one you'd like to dial out is awesome
  • Customizable beyond belief: I've already use 3 types of keyboards
  • Notifications: The iPhone really need to step up in this category. I've been told (already) that they like this phone as I respond quicker and I don't seem to respond more than a couple minutes later
  • Screen: As I mentioned before, it's a beauty and I love looking at it. I actually rather sacrifice battery life to get to see how awesome it is with the brightness up
  • Android Market: It's not on the iPhone's level, but every app I use on the iPhone seems to be there or one similar.
  • Widgets: Omg... I'm addicted to them now

Dislikes:
  • Keyboard: Yeah, I'm getting used to it and almost as fast as my iPhone, but with more mistakes
  • Battery: It's actually not as bad as I thought, but charging it through USB takes forever! My iPhone charges a lot faster
  • Trackball: Trackpad please... thanks

This ones a keeper! At least the OS is. The device, that's another story. Supersonic = yummy!

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I didn't really care for the Nexus ones keyboard at first either but I'm getting a lot faster. I'm actually slowing down on my iPhone now.

Main thing I hate about the keyboard is no multitouch. On the iPhone, if you press a letter (say d) and press another letter (o) before your finger lets go of d, it'll select d and then o. Makes typing on the iPhone super fast because your fingers get ahead of each other but the screen can keep up. On the Nexus, if you press d and then o before you let go, it selects d twice.

Google, add multitouch to the keyboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair