Memory Issues

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus One has crap for memory. I have been deleting apps to keep the core stuff I want. Problem is that when updates to those apps come out, they invariably grow in size a bit, eventually giving me the low memory warning and disconnecting me from Google Services.

If I root, can I delete the crap I don't need (like Amazon MP3, Google Books, QuickOffice)? Or at least move them to SD?

And, if I root, am I simply unlocking the SU or will it wipe my phone requiring a reinstall of everything?

This memory issue could lead me to upgrade to Nexus S, now that the AT&T banded version is available.

Thanks,

aviduser

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
A couple things I found was to move my K9 email from the internal memory to the external card. This is done internal to K9 not through the Android Settings. I've also moved a few apps to the SD.

HackSacken, the N1 only has around 200MB of internal user space to install apps. The 4GB is the micro SD card which is upgradable to 32GB.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
It works pretty good, but there is a small amount of lag when marking multiple items read. I've been looking at getting a class 4 or better card since the one that comes w/ it is a class 2.

Kage_

googol

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus One has crap for memory. I have been deleting apps to keep the core stuff I want. Problem is that when updates to those apps come out, they invariably grow in size a bit, eventually giving me the low memory warning and disconnecting me from Google Services.

If I root, can I delete the crap I don't need (like Amazon MP3, Google Books, QuickOffice)? Or at least move them to SD?

And, if I root, am I simply unlocking the SU or will it wipe my phone requiring a reinstall of everything?

This memory issue could lead me to upgrade to Nexus S, now that the AT&T banded version is available.

Thanks,

aviduser

I believe there are commands that you can use on adb to delete apps that you don't need once you root your phone. Before you root, you need to unlock your bootloader which will wipe all userdata on the phone. Google stores a list of some of the apps installed on your device, but it is not a complete list. All apps that you paid for are definitely on that list and can be retrieved after rooting.

I rooted my phone yesterday and flashed Cyanogenmod. Cyanogenmod does not have much crapware and has an option to enable the moving of apps to sd card. The steps I used to root and solutions for some of the problems I faced are in this thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/goo...6-please-help-unlocked-nexus-one-stuck-x.html

Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21