Nexus 10: 16gb vs 32gb

Max Heller

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I'm thinking about buying a nexus 10 when it comes out. I need help with deciding whether I should shell out an extra $100 for the 32gb version. I will be having some large games on it (N.O.V.A. 3 for example) and quite a few other apps, about 300 songs, maybe a couple movies, and some books.

So what do you think? 16gb or 32gb?

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I'm thinking about buying a nexus 10 when it comes out. I need help with deciding whether I should shell out an extra $100 for the 32gb version. I will be having some large games on it (N.O.V.A. 3 for example) and quite a few other apps, about 300 songs, maybe a couple movies, and some books.

So what do you think? 16gb or 32gb?

DEFF 32!! I got mostly music but damn just take a look this is what's left off a 32 gig card

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351563135090.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351563135090.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 99

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There's no way to upgrade your internal storage later, so I always go with the bigger version. Plus being a 10" tablet, this thing it perfect for movie/game consumption, which can take up a huge amount of memory.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
for you i would say 32 Gb. my needs are different. all my music is in cloud and i am always connected to the internet.
all my apps would not go beyond 2.5 Gb. files and docs are in cloud.
so 16 Gb suites me. I currently have a 32 Gb tablet and i haven't even filled the 16 Gb mark.

- - - Updated - - -

btw, I am buying 16 gb nexus 4 and Nexus 10... excited.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I've thought about this over the last couple days and really, I think I will get the 16GB.

Personally, I need more storage on my phone than on my tablet. All my music gets run through my phone. Most videos while out of town go through my phone, either connected to the hotel TV or when laying in bed (holding a 10" tablet while laying in bed gets tiring, and letting it accedentally fall forward onto your face as you nod off is something you will only do once...)

Anyway, 16GB should be ok for me. As long as it allows for USB OTG.

-Suntan

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
There's no way to upgrade your internal storage later, so I always go with the bigger version. Plus being a 10" tablet, this thing it perfect for movie/game consumption, which can take up a huge amount of memory.

I'm w/you, I'm going with the 32 to be on the safe side.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps, perhaps not.

Don't get me wrong, I think 16GB is the absolute minimum (the fact that anything android is still releasing with 8GB is silly) but depending on your usage pattern, 16GB can be plenty.

Basically, if you are going to be using the device primarily in home, you don't need *that* much space. Depending on the "cloud" as your main storage sounds like folly. But depending on your home WLAN can be much more feasible.

For example, creating a Nandroid or Titanium backup and putting it on Google Drive sounds like tempting fate with disaster if you had your device go sideways while out of town for a week. But saving those to your local computer merely becomes an added step if your tablet rarely leaves the premises.

Same thing for videos. You can easily stream movie rips or TV shows DVRd from a home media server with little hassle, as opposed to taking a gamble on getting a decent hotel wifi connection to connect to Netflix, etc.

Anyway, I checked my current 16GB tablet, that mostly stays at home, the other night when I was wondering this same question. Even though I have a number of fairly large games on it, it still had close to 6.5GB free. When I do travel with it, I like being able to load up a 32GB mSD card and slip it in the side. That said, for $100, I could manage with plugging my little USB OTG dongle in and just using a USB flash drive.

However, it would be nice if one of the memory vendors would release one of these with a native micro USB interface so a person wouldn't need to bother with the OTG dongle.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB Flash Drive (SDCZ33-032G-B35): Computers & Accessories

-Suntan

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I like having 32GB, but on a tablet could probably deal with 16. On a phone I like to have at least 32 so I can put a bunch of music on it, since it's always with me and I might not have my iPod with me and might not want to/be able to stream music. Don't find myself playing music from my tablet as much.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've owned a Xoom since it came out, while I don't have a lot of music or video I do have a lot of pics and I have a bad habit of not deleting the crappy ones and also not uninstalling apps that I try out and never use. Right now my available free storage is sitting at 17.39gb, I really think I'd have no problem getting away with the 16gb version, though there's something to be said for the resale value of the 32gb, I have a feeling the 16gb will depreciate faster.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Keep in mind the actual space you'd have--e.g., 16GB is actually 13GB, at least on my N7. I have close to 1,000 songs (4GB) ~1.5GB of apps, and some random unaccounted for space missing (app data?), which leaves me 5.6GB left. No movies, no enormous games. I would DEFINITELY recommend the 32GB if you plan on having more than a few massive 2GB games and movies stored.

Although, if you think you'd conserve space to have only 1-2 hardcore games, and a couple movies on rotation stored on your device, you can definitely make 16GB work. But you never know what you might want on your device, so the more space the better. I didn't think I'd use my N7 for music, but it was redundant to take an iPod and a 7" tab on my commute, so I consolidated--that took 4GB I didn't expect, which is why I'm glad I got the 16GB/N7.

I kiind of have a feeling they'll be releasing a 64GB a few months from now, like they did with the N7/32GB. Don't know if it would bump the price down like they did with the N7/16GB though. But don't say I didn't warn you lol.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Until the Play store allows rooted devices to do movies, I have no intention of buying a video from them.

-Suntan

I know you may not want to do this based on principle, but you should be able to download Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper App on your tablet and turn root on and off when you want to rent from the Play store. I've done this on my tablet frequently. However, it always seems wierd to me that when I was running rooted stock I could always use the Play Store for movies. It was only after i downloaded a custom rom that I needed Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough, if they have relaxed that position. Now they just need to work on their price structure.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
One other comment in general, I've been playing around with my new 16GB N7.

At first I was concerned about space for videos. However, playing around with my phones ability to media serve (Samsung calls it direct share) and it is fairly trivial to playback video located on the phone directly onto the tablet with a Wifi direct connection (so you don't even need to hop into a wlan.)

This works great for me as I would prefer to store all my videos on my phone anyway.

You might want to check it out if your phone supports Wifi direct and you have a similar usage pattern.

-Suntan

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
$100 more for 16GB is just so expensive :/. I mean, the device itself is cheap for the great specs, and $500 for the 32GB N10 alone isn't shabby--but when you're only getting a little more memory for a lot more money, it's just silly. Even the iPad doesn't have a $100 cost discrepancy b/t the 16/32 (granted, it is $100 more in general).

Then again, I was/am totally fine paying $50 for 8GB more on the 16GB N7... but 8GB is like unusable lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis