Should I get this tablet? Hoping for some help from the community

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I recently switch from iOS to Android and picked up my first Android phone, the Galaxy S3 and I am in love with it. Its amazing, and I finally just rooted it and flash CM10 M2 on there and it is even better than before. I am looking to get myself my first tablet this holiday season and I was hoping for some help on whether or not I should get the Nexus 10 or possibly some other tablet. So what I am looking for in a tablet pretty much is portability and reliability. I am currently a graduate student and I keep lugging around my beast of a laptop and its starting to really get on my nerves. It can't hold a charge at all and overheats all the time so I have to carry a cooling fan unit all the time. Anyway, what I am looking for is a tablet that will be able to replace my laptop while I am on campus or in the library so I can write papers and just do note taking while in class. I was wondering if this might be the tablet for me or should I wait to see what else comes out. A big thing for me is that I need a physical keyboard to work on, it can either have a charging dock or just be a blue-tooth keyboard, it doesn't matter to me. Another big thing for me is that the keyboard needs to be portable, either its an accessory, or a third-party keyboard.

Sorry if this was a little long winded or sounded a little needy, I just want to make sure I am making the best purchase possible. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help

P.S: If I get the Nexus 10, I'll get the 16gig so I can spend some money on a keyboard.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
it has better screen than any tablet out there. good for reading. thin and light.

have you looked at nexus 7?? if its too small for you i would def recommend Nexus 10. faster update.

about keyboard I am not sure if there will be a accessory but from the pogo pin like connector i assume there would be one.

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I would like a big screen. I would love to get the Nexus 7, but I would only use it at home.

What's the pogo pin connector you are talking about?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I would like a big screen. I would love to get the Nexus 7, but I would only use it at home.

What's the pogo pin connector you are talking about?
not the pogo pin connector but pogo pin like connector at the bottom of Nexus 10.

I think its kind off a docking connector for keyboards.

anyway you can obviously use wireless/bluetooth keyboard with Nexus 10. thats a plus

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that is true. I'm hoping I can find a "case" of sorts that allows be to carry a blue-tooth keyboard and the tablet at the same time. I saw one for the Nexus 7 on youtube a couple days ago that looked pretty interesting. It wasn't stylish but it worked.

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to write papers, I suggest in the strongest terms that a keyboard and a fully functioning word processing app are crucial to avoid frustration. I hope to move to a tablet for this work soon, but I'll have to "test drive" the functionality to ensure what I need is there first. I'm not saying it is or isn't with Android and associated tabs yet, just don't know. Function over form.

GNex owner
ADS

emceephi

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Here's a super cheap bluetooth keyboard/case made by Logitech.

Amazon.com: Logitech Samsung Galaxy Case: Computers & Accessories

It's designed for the Galaxy Tab 10.1(which is what I have) so obviously you can't use as a case for the Nexus 10. Still, it's only $20, uses bluetooth, and has long battery life, so you could easily pair it with your Nexus 10. There's a slot where you rest your tablet in and it holds it at an angle. My Galaxy tab is 8.6mm thick and the Nexus is only slightly bigger at 8.9mm so hopefully it fits. Even if the Nexus doesn't fit in the slot , you could just get some sort of bookcover case that acts like a stand. Carrying a tablet and this keyboard together in your bag will still be lighter than any laptop.

Joneser2006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered that keyboard, will update if anyone is interested.

On another note, I'd think that Samsung owes a debt of gratitude to Asus. Anyone who bought a Transformer will flock to the Nex10 once they can afford it.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered that keyboard, will update if anyone is interested.

On another note, I'd think that Samsung owes a debt of gratitude to Asus. Anyone who bought a Transformer will flock to the Nex10 once they can afford it.

I have the Transformer Prime and love it. I also have the original Transformer and am not as impressed. But Asus gives you updates in lighting speed. I have been rocking jellybean for a while. It's awesome. Full keyboard, sd support, hdmi out, double the battery. It means a lot in the real world.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Well thanks guys. Now I have a harder decision to make. I wanted to get the Transformer but it is just way to expensive with the keyboard, but who knows maybe ill change my mind by late November/December. So now I have to make a decision between Nexus 10 (Pending launch of accessories), Galaxy Note 10.1 (Depends on how much Samsung muddle things up with Touchwiz), or the Transformer tablet.

I'm looking for something with pure Android since now getting used to CM 10 is just amazing now and I can't believe I was so scared to root my phone up until now. Anyway thanks everyone.

jcsugrue

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Well thanks guys. Now I have a harder decision to make. I wanted to get the Transformer but it is just way to expensive with the keyboard, but who knows maybe ill change my mind by late November/December. So now I have to make a decision between Nexus 10 (Pending launch of accessories), Galaxy Note 10.1 (Depends on how much Samsung muddle things up with Touchwiz), or the Transformer tablet.

I'm looking for something with pure Android since now getting used to CM 10 is just amazing now and I can't believe I was so scared to root my phone up until now. Anyway thanks everyone.

This should be a no brainer. The N10 is pure Android, plus it's faster, cheaper, and has a better display that the Galaxy Note 10.1 or the Transformer. Once you go Nexus, I promise you that you'll never consider any "skinned" device. Google really sets high standards for their Nexus line.

Slandy

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I just spent more than a year using an iPad as my daily driver, and consequently, word processor. Having a Bluetooth keyboard is definitely a must, but it still leaves a glaring problem. Every time you make a type-o or just want to reposition your cursor, you have to reach up and use a finicky touchscreen cursor. This doesn't sound bad at first, but when you seriously get writing, it will become a huge pain. So I seriously recommend going with a version of the Transformer Prime and getting the dock with it. The docks include trackpads that will make typing infinitely less frustrating. And the high end TF700 still has a beautiful screen. And even though it costs more money, it comes with more storage it its base price. Save yourself the trouble and splurge a little on this tablet. You'll be grateful when you start writing.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
As much as I am jazzed about the N10 releasing myself, I would humbly suggest that for you, one of the transformers would make a far better choice for your situation.

I have the TF101. I've played with it with both a detached BT keyboard (Logitech DiNovo Edge) and the actual TF keyboard. There's no comparing the real world usability. The keyboard that attaches is so much better than a stand alone BT keyboard for functionality and usability. Not to mention the doubling of battery life that it gives when hooked together.

And let's keep perspective, the latest transformer is not really overshadowed by the N10. It can compete pretty well with the N10, assuming a person is looking at real world usage and not just obsessing single-mindedly about which revision of android is running on the device. It is a fair bit more expensive though.

-Suntan

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
You guys are making some great points. I've crossed the Galaxy Note 10.1 off my list completely now. Just curious, if I were to use a blue-tooth or USB mouse, does anyone know if they work on the Transformer or any other tablet?
I know the Transformer has a much better set up with the keyboard dock that gives it extra battery life, but for what I will be using my tablet for, I do not expect it to be using a lot of power. I have no problem bringing a charger just in case with me to school.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So, why cross the Note off of your list?

It is every bit as good in my opinion to the Transformer, and may not be as hardware worthy as the new Nexus 10, but still a viable alternative in every sense. If it is because of screen resolution or PPI, the display is still readable for e books and documents.

The selling point of the Note 10 is the S Pen and all of its functions. The resolution of the display is due to the Wacom digitizer embedded within.

As far touchwiz, most people complain about it because of what it used to be. I had Galaxy S devices since the Captivate, and yes touchwiz was crap on the early devices. As for the S3 and Note 10, big differences. For an out of box experience it is not bad at all.

As for updates, yes, they could be quicker, as the Note 10 is not a carrier supported device. But Jelly Bean is not a major upgrade from ICS, from everything I have read and it will come by the end of the year. Until then, my Note 10 series my daily purposes of note taking, email, web browsing, game playing, document editing and all around laptop replacement device when I need portability.

I hear the word Nexus thrown around for a lot of devices, but with no SD slot to store media (pictures, documents, music etc.) and no digitizer for handwritten notes, I have to pass on the Nexus 10.

Besides, the way I see it, the Nexus line is becoming the iPhone/iPad of the Android world. Here we'll sell you a phone with the Google experience and update it as they are released, but no external storage and hardware that will be outdated within 6 months. Just stamp a Apple on the back of the iDroid and call it good.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you Jevangil, the Nexus line could completely become the Google's version of Apple's iProduct line but after just rooting my GS3 and finally starting to know what it means to own an Android device I don't think I could actually ever go back to another skinned phone. I absolutely agree Touchwiz 4 (Nature UX or whatever) is awesome out of the box but, I wasn't ever a real fan of it whenever I compared it to the Galaxy Nexus, pure Andriod 4.0+, but I couldn't get it due to my carrier (AT&T) not carrying it.

Honestly the whole SD slot thing isn't a big deal to me, I don't play a lot of "video games" on my phone, except for some emulators, the occasional time waster games, Netflix is amazing, I keep all of my music on Google Music, so I don't need a ton of space for myself; I think 16 gigs is sufficient for my needs. Google Drive, Drop Box, and a OTG with Flash drive with 8/16gigs is enough for me to hold pictures and some recorded videos (which I rarely ever do)

I have never used an S Pen, so I don't really know if it is all that great, but I type faster and when I write I can barely even read my own hand writing sometimes lol.

But who knows I'm hoping to get a chance to see the Nexus 10 in person before I make a decision on whether or not I should purchase it, but if I don't like it I'm sure I will take a look at the Note 10.1 and Transformer again. I think any tablet would be awesome because it will be my first one one, and I'm just having a lot of fun learning more things about Android everyday.

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Wow, BcSirstaroth, you read my mind with your inquiry!!

I've been looking for the perfect tab for taking notes while at lectures/ meetings, and reading documents - pdf files for the most part. And I was on the fence about the Note 10.1 as well, but recently dumped it from my list. The reason I did that was the Note 10.1 review on The Verge - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 review | The Verge - they disliked it immensely. See both videos - the original and the redux, and the lags and issues with multi-tasking and the very limited number of apps that can be used with the S-Pen and with multi-tasking totally put me off. I have to say that I found this review by The Verge the most informative, and also the most helpful in making a decision.

And so, here is what I'm thinking: how about a really good note-taking app on a regular Android tablet and a really good stylus. I don't need the capabilities of the S-Pen, and there appear to be apps that can read handwriting and convert it into text, and styluses which are pretty decent.

So the questions I'd append to your original query, BcSirstaroth, is which app(s) are best for note-taking on a tablet which isn't the Note 10.1? And, is the lack of a digitizer an immediate deal-breaker for notes on the Nexus 10?

I can't stand the iOS so there is no question of buying an iPad, even though I see that it is consistently getting higher ratings and marks from all platform-neutral sites.

Last edited:

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Teffects I actually am wondering that myself. During Google App Deal recently, I bought Office Suite Pro and it is awesome for working on some word documents I have stored on Google Drive to use on my phone. I think that is one of the better apps available for tablets to work on documents. I'm hoping I do not have to repurchase the same app to use it on my tablet though.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I own both the Asus 300 and 700 if you can manage the price tag you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar