Should I get this tablet? Hoping for some help from the community

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 7 is too small to use regularly as a work/school device. The Nexus 10 would be ok, and the display will be incredible, but I'd really think that if you're going for school use, then you should look at a Windows 8 device. I hate to say that because I love Android, and all these Nexus devices are like having Christmas in November...but having full Office on a tablet/laptop/convertible is really hard to beat for actual productivity. And I would say that compared to any iDevice as well.

You know what, I just remembered that MS recently announced Office for Android. So, with a bluetooth keyboard and/or keyboard dock (not sure how good Google will be at accessories on these devices), you might have a winner by 2013.

Microsoft Office Coming to iOS and Android

Last edited:

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Quick response (I'm currently living in the lab until Monday afternoon) - I would get the Windows RT/Pro tablet......but I currently have Windows Vista on my laptop (I know it sucks) and I do not plan on getting Windows 8 until this laptop finally dies on me. Oh and the cost of those tablets is ridiculous. I mainly use my laptop to just write papers, browse the web, and some light gaming (Torchlight 2 once this semester is over). I've thought about getting a Chromebook, but I don't see a purpose for them for what I need.

My laptop works perfectly fine for me, the only thing is just it over heats a little, and is cumbersome to carry around school.

Now that I think about it, I will probably get a desktop as my next computer with Windows 8 and just use a tablet as my laptop for now on.

I'm looking forward to the reviews of the Nexus 10 and hopefully seeing one in person before I decided to make a purchase. If it turns out to not be awesome as I thought it would be, I think I will go for a transformer (hopefully there will be something for sale on black friday/cyber monday)

Speaking of black friday/cyber monday, does anyone know a website that tracks all those deals?

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, since the reviews are in and the product is out, I guess its just time for me to wait and see. I'm really looking forward to all the accessories from 3rd party vendors outfit this tablet before I make my purchase.

Question to the community: I went to best buy just to check out 7" and 10" tablets the other day and I was shocked when I put them in my hand (I've never used an iPad before). I get the 7" is portable, but for a guy like me who has big hands, I find them uncomfortable to hold. Has anyone else felt like this? I held a 10" tablet and I don't know but it just "felt" better in my hand. Am I crazy for thinking this?

I really hope who ever gets the Nexus 10 allows for all of us to ask a million and one questions about it.

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I use mine to type up homework and whatnot for my A-level courses. Even though the Infinity is laggy and for some reason the JB keyboard is really dodgy (especially with backspace) I can still get my stuff done. I write it up in Drive, then log on to the computers at college to print it off.

They've paid some more attention to the keyboard in 4.2, and the Nexus 10 shouldn't lag, so it should be fine to use it for that.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

phoenix623

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Same here, I have the Transformer Prime TF201 with the keyboard and I love it, it's sturdy, fast , great screen, hdmi, usb, etc, etc...and a total of 96 gig of storage!

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmmm pretty sure I'm gonna get the Nexus 10.......Just can't decide should I get the 16 or 32 gig one. I dislike the fact that its $100 more just for an extra 16 gigs of space.

Question for the community: If I get one of those OTG usb-micro usb cables and get a dedicated 16-32 gig flash drive, can I put movies or apps on there if need be? (Just incase question). Wondering if I could save a little bit of money if I do that.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I mainly use my laptop to just write papers, browse the web, and some light gaming ... I'm looking forward to the reviews of the Nexus 10 and hopefully seeing one in person before I decided to make a purchase. If it turns out to not be awesome as I thought it would be, I think I will go for a transformer
Speaking of black friday/cyber monday, does anyone know a website that tracks all those deals?

I think if you want the best specs-bang-for-your-buck (buttery-smooth, great screen resolution), go for the N10. newer transformers w/keyboard docks are a little more expensive, but the you have longer battery, full USB ports, microSD expansion, etc--I m sticking with my N7 for now, but if I ever got a 10" tab I'd want those features

You'll never get the full MS Office experience unless you use MS Office, but you could always use an on-campus computer if you need it. Kingsoft Office is the best I've tried (layout is reminiscent of Word) and Google Drive is great with external keyboard integration (ctrl + v/z/a/s/x/b/u/i etc--this is suuper important to me, and most word processors only allow ctrl +a/v/x). Like I said, since literally any tab will allow you to run productivity apps, browse the web, play games (some req Tegra 3 though), I think you can't go wrong :).

//I use Slickdeals.net for deal alerts--they have a dedicated Black Friday section. About microUSB to USB cables--just be sure you don't get a shoddy one. I paid $3 for one on amazon and it sucks. Disconnects at the slightest movement; I use it for my keyboard case and it's just the pits--that's why I'm getting a Bluetooth keyboard. I know a lot of apps don't allow off-device storage, but I would definitely use that extra space for media like movies/tv shows.

Last edited:

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I really do believe that Nexus 10 will get a keyboard dock down the road, and I have no problem getting a stand for the tablet and a Bluetooth keyboard for now to use when I'm in class. The official Nexus 10 keyboard will not be as awesome as the Transformer one but it is just way to expensive for me buy a Transformer at the moment.

The app I have right now is Office Suite Pro in my SGS3 and I am hoping I can use that on my Nexus 10 as well. I'll have to check out Kingsoft Office and I use Google Drive all the time.

Yeah I was thinking about the question I made about the USB-Mico USB, even on my phone I still have about 4 gigs left of space on the internal sd card. I probably wont store any music on it since...... I have my phone for that. If I ever decided to buy a movie off of Google Movies can I store them on an SD card? What about books as well, if I use the Amazon app or Google Books?

This is my dilemma, should I just wait for the 32 gigs just to make sure I have space for everything.....or just bite the bullet and get the 16 right now......

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure Google-purchased media can be stored on external memory. If you're not going to store a lot of media on the device itself, I wouldn't make the 32GB jump--I just cannot justify $100 for that extra 16GB. Ebooks/PDFs don't take up that much space, so as long as you're diligent about removing movies when you're done, you should be fine. Maybe limit yourself to one monster-sized 2GB game at a time. You have cloud storage, too, for articles and such.

If Google's going to repeat history--which I have a strong feeling they will--a few months down the road they'll introduce a 64GB version, and perhaps a 3G option. Don't know if they'd make 32GB the new 16GB, like they did with the 16/8GB N7's though.. But maybe they won't expand options, who knows (64GB seems excessive).

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure Google-purchased media can be stored on external memory. If you're not going to store a lot of media on the device itself, I wouldn't make the 32GB jump--I just cannot justify $100 for that extra 16GB. Ebooks/PDFs don't take up that much space, so as long as you're diligent about removing movies when you're done, you should be fine. Maybe limit yourself to one monster-sized 2GB game at a time. You have cloud storage, too, for articles and such.

If Google's going to repeat history--which I have a strong feeling they will--a few months down the road they'll introduce a 64GB version, and perhaps a 3G option. Don't know if they'd make 32GB the new 16GB, like they did with the 16/8GB N7's though.. But maybe they won't expand options, who knows (64GB seems excessive).

If you buy a book or a movie in the Google Store you get to keep it even if you just uninstall it right? Just like with the apps?

Is it possible that Google might drop the 64 gig one around Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Or maybe they might have a deal for purchasing their products through the app store those days?

I'm gonna try to sell my old iPhone on Amazon so maybe I can get some extra cash so maybe I wont feel so bad about getting the 32 gig lol.

aaronbuescher

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I have to say, I have a Chromebook, and I love it. It's not nearly as much of a pain to carry around in my backpack as my laptop.

I almost got it because my toshiba last about 1.5 hours on "energy saving mode" before it dies. I upgraded to the Note2 so I dont have the money now, but hoping to get on before the next semester starts. Btw, which one do you have?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If Google's going to repeat history--which I have a strong feeling they will--a few months down the road they'll introduce a... ...whole new tablet with completely updated specs and faster processor that all of us serial updaters will want to upgrade to

This would be the way I would phrase it.

For the price of some extra memory, you could already be 1/4 of the way to replacing this tablet. Or half way to getting/replacing the next N7 that comes out.

Too much money to justify an extra 16GB, imo.

-Suntan

BcSirstaroth

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
This would be the way I would phrase it.

For the price of some extra memory, you could already be 1/4 of the way to replacing this tablet. Or half way to getting/replacing the next N7 that comes out.

Too much money to justify an extra 16GB, imo.

-Suntan

I see what your saying, I'm hoping this tablet will last me at least 2-3 years before I even think about upgrading to a new one. I know by the time I finish graduate school the Nexus 10 will still be getting updated, so around 2015 I'll look for a new tablet.

Now that I think about it, because of no expandable storage, I think I may need to get a 32 gig since this tablet will be in it for the long haul.

I just hate the constant upgrading that Google will do (Jk, I love new tech) to the Nexus line up.

Chazinski

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
... if I were to use a blue-tooth or USB mouse, does anyone know if they work on the Transformer or any other tablet?

I use bluetooth mice (Logitech ones and the Dell travel one) and bluetooth keyboards (Logitech ones, and the K810 which I highly recommend) with my Android devices. Both work at the same time, and it's nice. I have used the Transformer Prime, and it's a nice tablet--I didn't try the mouse with it, but have no reason to think there would be a problem. When you use a bluetooth mouse with an Android device, a little mouse pointer appears--it's really cute, and you'll never see it if you don't use a mouse. It can be used instead of the touch screen, but I find myself still reaching up to the screen sometimes because I like to pinch to zoom. If you are trying to decide between the Transformer Prime and the N10, they are both great tablets. The Transformer has an SD card slot, and the N10 has stereo speakers--I have made my choice, returned the Transformer and am waiting on the N10--but either will work fine for what you are doing. The Transformer's keyboard dock has a button for power-off and a back button, but it's more expensive and you don't really need those. If you use a bluetooth keyboard, you have lots of other buttons--tried the K810 last night and the control key and windows key work in the logmein app to remote control my PC! Oh, another plus for the N10, it uses a standard charger. If you have the Transformer you need those special cables, and you spend an extra $100 or more if you want a charger for home, one for school and one for in the car. I have an external battery that will charge my N10 or my phone in emergencies and they will use the same cable.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
This should be a no brainer. The N10 is pure Android, plus it's faster, cheaper, and has a better display that the Galaxy Note 10.1 or the Transformer. Once you go Nexus, I promise you that you'll never consider any "skinned" device. Google really sets high standards for their Nexus line.

That's me in a nutshell.

I purchased the original Droid1 on VZW as my first smartphone, having no idea that it was unlocked, supremely hackable, and that the Android Dev community would support it unlike any other phone to date.

Then I heard about the N1, and of course it never came to Verizon. So I waited for the Bionic when it was time to upgrade. I kept it for a total of 2 months and then ordered the Samsung Galaxy Nexus the minute it went live.

I am now a Nexus fanboy. I will ONLY own Nexus phones. I have owned the Nexus 7 for a few months and my Nexus 10 will arrive tomorrow. My goal is to support as many Nexus devices as Google can possibly make. I want carriers, manufacturers and Google to take notice that there IS demand for a pure Google phone/device with cutting edge hardware.

It's not just the hardware or the lack of skins. It's unlockable. You don't have to jump through hoops and pray for insider leaks of bootloader keys or pre-release software to unlock it. That means the development community will support it. That means AOSP will support it. That means you can do whatever the f**k you want with it (just about). It means it's MINE, and the OEM doesn't own MY device.

And that means if another Nexus phone doesn't come to Verizon I may even consider switching carriers. But I hope I don't have to make that decision. I have another year before I will have the itch to upgrade from the Galaxy Nexus anyway.

samagon

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

I think it's obvious what the majority of people want. The Nexus 10 16gb is still available in USA. the Nexus 10 32gb was sold out within hours of being available.

The Nexus 4 16gb was sold out faster than the Nexus 4 8gb.

People want more local storage space, Google would be stupid to ignore this, and future products will reflect this.

Can manufacturers be blamed (I doubt Google was the driver) for not selling the best they can straight out of the gate? No, and anyone who is shocked by this tactic, is frankly being naive to the process.

Anyway, I'll bet they don't sell an upgraded N4 mid cycle, but that the next nexus phone will have a minimum of 16gb onboard. I'll bet they do sell a upgraded N10 though with 64gb option, 6 months from now. I do wish they would have done it immediately, I would have been willing to pay $550-600 for a 64gb 10" nexus tablet (just as I was willing to pay $450-500 for a 32gb 10" nexus).

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I think it's obvious what the majority of people want. The Nexus 10 16gb is still available in USA. the Nexus 10 32gb was sold out within hours of being available.

The Nexus 4 16gb was sold out faster than the Nexus 4 8gb.

People want more local storage space, Google would be stupid to ignore this, and future products will reflect this.

Can manufacturers be blamed (I doubt Google was the driver) for not selling the best they can straight out of the gate? No, and anyone who is shocked by this tactic, is frankly being naive to the process.

Anyway, I'll bet they don't sell an upgraded N4 mid cycle, but that the next nexus phone will have a minimum of 16gb onboard. I'll bet they do sell a upgraded N10 though with 64gb option, 6 months from now. I do wish they would have done it immediately, I would have been willing to pay $550-600 for a 64gb 10" nexus tablet (just as I was willing to pay $450-500 for a 32gb 10" nexus).

I bought the 16GB N10. I'd love the extra storage space, but there's no way I was going to pay an extra $100 for something I'd likely use very rarely. About the only time I could see myself using that much space over 16GB is if I was storing several movies on the device for a long trip where mobile data wouldn't be available (to be tethered from my phone). If they priced the 32GB at $449, I may have considered it.

Of course, expandable storage would make all of this a moot discussion :)

tawfiqmp

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought the 16GB N10. I'd love the extra storage space, but there's no way I was going to pay an extra $100 for something I'd likely use very rarely. About the only time I could see myself using that much space over 16GB is if I was storing several movies on the device for a long trip where mobile data wouldn't be available (to be tethered from my phone). If they priced the 32GB at $449, I may have considered it.

Of course, expandable storage would make all of this a moot discussion :)

Pretty much the same for me. If I really need extra storage that much, I'll look for an accessory of some kind that will allow me to add extra space. Or I can always settle for cloud which is a great option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund