Nexus 10 Case

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Lol, ok - look forward to your review.

O M G

Guess who FINALLY has a case for his Nexus 10??? ME! The Moko arrived today. It is a perfect fit and looks good. I am not going to "review" it quite yet, because I have only had it in my hands for minutes so far...

kalebk07

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
O M G

Guess who FINALLY has a case for his Nexus 10??? ME! The Moko arrived today. It is a perfect fit and looks good. I am not going to "review" it quite yet, because I have only had it in my hands for minutes so far...

Yay!! Its about time! Congratulations.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
"Moko Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-Shell Stand Case for Google Nexus 10" I have now used the Moko case for several days and this is my comprehensive review:

* Base/back- It is a molded hard plastic cradle-type back case. The back snaps around the body of the N10 perfectly and like a glove. It easily snaps in and takes quite some effort to remove it. It will never come off by accident. The inside of it is covered in microfiber cloth. The outside has a lightly textured vinyl which makes it easier to hold and gives it a bit of grip (and style). It has a nicely designed opening on the back for the camera, flash, and mic. The sides do not wrap completely around the areas with ports, allowing access to the power, volume, headphone, USB, HDMI, and POGO connector. The molding is perfect, has no gaps, no burrs, and no sharp or uncomfortable edges.

* Cover/flap- It has a very thin, segmented, vinyl front cover flap that folds back for use and to act as a support. The back (inside) of the flap is covered in a type of soft microfiber cloth. The front (outside) of the flap is covered in the same lightly textured vinyl as the outside of the base case. When the flap is closed over the front, the POGO connector is not accessible.

* Closure- The flap is held closed by use of two tiny but strong magnets on the top/center edge of the case (spaced about 1" apart) which makes contact with a metal clasp on the flap. The clasp is shiny silver with a handsome "Moko" logo visible on the outside (there is no other logo or printing anywhere on the case back or flap). Some people have concerns the metal closure might somehow scratch the screen. Although it seems possible, I think it is highly unlikely.

* Auto sleep- There is a magnet embedded in the flap on the opposite side of the closure clasp that will tell the tablet when the cover flap is opened or closed. It seems to work about 99% of the time, but I did find at least once where the tablet did not sleep when I closed the flap... and in that case, I was in a game that disabled the screen saver, so the tablet never went to sleep. Yet it worked fine all other times with that same game.

* Protection- The case will over very good scratch and bump protection across the entire back. It will also offer excellent side projection on three sides and all four corners, with only moderate protection across the "hinge" side, where the front cover flap is connected. Also offers protection across the screen from scratching/prints/etc but not impact. A case of this type will offer some protection from drops on hard surfaces, but because it is thin, don't expect all that much. The relatively hard plastic will have very little energy absorbing properties.

* Stand- There are essentially two stand modes, both landscape-only. The primary stand (highly upright) is created by folding the flaps cover's three segments into a triangle under the base. It is held in that configuration by friction and the weight of the tablet pushing on it. It is surprisingly strong, stable, and useful in this configuration. The secondary stand "mode" is a triangle with the tablet lying mostly down for a light angle. This configuration is less robust and more space-consuming, since most of the triangle is outside the footprint of the tablet when in use. However, it is still a useful configuration, although the tablet is "upside down" and a few stupid apps prevent 180 degree screen rotation in that mode (no fault of the case, of course). Don't expect to use either stand mode while it is in your lap.

* Non-stand- Normal, non-stand use will have you flipping the cover 180 degrees flat against the back of the unit. There is nothing to keep it in that configuration and the flap will slide around a bit during use, which might take some getting used to. You also have to be wary of what you set the tablet onto when used this way, since the inside of the flap (microfiber) is now facing the elements and will pick up dirt, debris, cat hair, liquid or anything else and subsequently present that to the screen when you later close the flap (it will do this some in the stand-mode also). I will note something interesting- the microfiber's "grabbiness" is an advantage when using the tablet with it resting in your pants leg. It prevents the tablet from moving and sliding around MUCH better than without the case (which is surprising, considering the back of the N10 is rubbery). This turns out to be one of the best hidden features of the Moko.

* Issues- The unit does have a strange and objectionable smell, which dissipates over time (but slowly). I assume it is the glue, and it smells a lot like urine. The front cover is only held in place (closed) at one area. It generally keeps the flap covering the screen, but isn't difficult to dislodge. The magnet can scrape/scratch the closure clasp. On my unit, within one day, it had scraped through the chrome plating on the underside of the clasp, revealing the copper metal underneath. This is probably mostly cosmetic- we shall see. I am not sure how durable the thin, glued-together-laminated cover will be, especially on the edges and the stress points on the "hinge" area. So far it seems OK, but I can tell it is going to wear some.

* Conclusion- You are probably not going to find a less bulky, thinner, or lighter N10 case than the Moko. Yet it still offers quite a bit of protection and convenience and at an absolutely superb price and looks nice too. I can tell it might wear the cover flap more than some other designs, but at this price, you could buy spares and still not care. It is not a "rugged" case to protect against extreme conditions or hard drops but most people will not want or need that type of case, anyway. It meets my needs perfectly and I am very happy with the product. The seller (BSCstore on Amazon) claims a lifetime warranty and it is available in several colors (I chose all black).

dave1216

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Looks like folks are liking the MoKo case. My goal is to get a case that is the right angle and sturdy when I am sitting and it is on my lap (rather than on a desk or table). Does this fit the bill for that?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Looks like folks are liking the MoKo case. My goal is to get a case that is the right angle and sturdy when I am sitting and it is on my lap (rather than on a desk or table). Does this fit the bill for that?

No. The Moko stand is really only useful on hard surfaces. The triangle stand that is formed is too small to be of much utility when in your lap.

twilite2000

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Just a newbies observation here. I got the MoKo Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-shell Stand Case for Google Nexus 10 inch Tablet by Samsung, RED (with Smart Cover Auto Wake/Sleep). My husband got the Poetic HardBack Protective Case for Google Nexus 10 (With Auto Sleep/Wake Function) (3 Year Warranty by Poetic). Now we just got these to cases a couple of days ago and here is what I think.

MoKo-very thin light weight but I wouldn't drop or toss it around. This case won't offer that amount of protection. Good for bag or backpack. It snaps in quite easily but it's very difficult to remove, which is not good for me but great for the Nexus. This case has dedicated cut outs which allows easy access to the power, volume, headphone, USB, HDMI, but does not have a dedicated cut out for the pogo. The case must be opened to access this connector. I find the magnetic closure to be acceptable and agree if not careful can scratch the screen. Love the auto wake/sleep feature. A few people complained about the odor, which I didn't notice. Overall a sturdy case. Materials used to make it are okay probably will not hold up well with daily usage(only time will tell) but for the price and lifetime warranty it was well worth it.

Poetic- bulkier then the Moko (which we knew before purchasing), which my husband likes, but still won't offer the protection if dropped. Snaps in easily and feels secure. Very difficult to remove which is a problem when you need to repeatedly unsnap the Nexus from the spine in order to use the self-standing feature. Husband feels this may wear out the supports that hold the Nexus in place with constant use. It has all the dedicated cut outs for power, volume, headphone, USB, HDMI, including the pogo. Husband also loves the auto wake/sleep feature. Magnetic closures are very secure. Like the MoKo my husband feels the material over time and constant use will wear rather quickly, but again for the price and 3 year warranty it was worth it.

Once again it's all a preference. I like my MoKo for being thin and light weight. My husband likes his Poetic for being a little more bulkier. Otherwise they do what they're suppose to do, protect our Nexus.

Hope this helps someone.

xpsbrenden

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered the Poetic SLIMLINE Portfolio for Google Nexus 10 Tablet. I hate having a case on my tablet so I intend to only use this as a travel case.

jayhawk815

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
After having a case for a while now, anyone want to add something new or change their review? New case reviews also welcome.
I've had the Bear Motion case for over a month now and have been very happy with it. To start with, the real leather looks good and has already held up to quite a bit of abuse from my 3 and 8 year-old sons. My younger son has dropped it numerous times, is always throwing the flap around in different positions and neither the case nor the N10 have any damage. The case has several different open positions and is stable on your lap, which was an important feature for us. I thought I would want to take the N10 out of the case from time to time, but rarely(once so far) find myself doing so. The sleep function works flawlessly. Overall, I'd say the Bear Motion case was a bargain for under $20, and would have easily paid much more for this level of quality. Highly recommended!

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
After having a case for a while now, anyone want to add something new or change their review? New case reviews also welcome.

My original post is #139. Have had both since about 2 weeks after N10 launch day. Case has been on non stop. Still looks great. Protects well too. Have had a few drops with no damage to the N10. My review still stands. I would buy both again.

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
After reading all these posts I got the Poetic Slimline. I like it because it's thin and doesn't make my N10 bulky.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

DownhillNexus

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
On Amazon, the Moko Ultra Slim Case that is sold by BCStore is only $5.99. Is that what you guy's paid? Just want to verify i'm not getting a refurbed case since the other color cases are all $14.99.

Thanks for all the reviews on cases.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
My Ionic Black Stand Leather Case has been great. Feels really nice in the hand, it's sturdy and has ridges for 3 different viewing angles so it's good for all positions. No portrait view stand though but not a big deal. Came with a bunch of accessories and was about 22 bucks for the whole bundle, a steal really.

dave1216

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Just got the leather bear motion case. Noticed the battery is draining fast and hardly using. Does the magnet auto on/off feature affect battery usage?

Also, I assume the Nexus 10 is designed so that heat can be dissipated from the back the unit. With the cover we seem to be completely blocking that. Can't the unit overheat because of that?

Last edited:

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, this is the case I ended up buying :

SD Multi-Stand Slim Case for Google Nexus 10 - Black

Not the most slim case but I like something solid and sturdy, works a charm, some pics I took (with my Nexus 4 of course!) :

nexus10case1.jpg

nexus10case2.jpg

nexus10case3.jpg

nexus10case4.jpg

nexus10case5.jpg

Paul.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12