So I'm buying a tablet for absolutely NO other reason than comics.

Satellite#AC

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the duplicate posts I realized I put the previous post in the wrong place.

Someone gave me a Kindle Fire which is fine however it has no "Dark Horse" app. Yes I can side load it but even then I cant purchase in app (It looks for the Google Play store). So I'm not buying the Amazon branded tablets. Also I love the Nexus 7 but I'm tired of pinching and zooming.

It seems like from what I can tell the perfect comic 10 inch tablet is the Nexus 10. I get Comixology and Dark Horse even Marvel if needed and the strong point of the Nexus 10 is the ONLY thing I care about the screen.

Thoughts?

peaches1998

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You might find your favorite newspaper comics at gocomics.com. By signing up, you can receive a daily email with which ever ones you choose.

I get a couple of dozen comics each morning. But comic books are not available.

I can't wait to view them on my Nexus 10.

Shelly

ltracte

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Doesnt have to be the nexus10 honestly. Any 10 inch tablet will do. I have been using a Xoom since the day it came out, and am glad to be finally retiring it for a nexus 10, but any 10 inch android tablet will suit your needs. Comics look fantastic on the 10 inch screens, and while a small amount of pinching and zooming is sometimes necessary, it is MUCH better than on a 7 inch screen. If you collect digital comics in the form of .cbr or .cbz files, i would strongly recommend Komik, or if you dont mind shelling out $15 for it, Comic Reader Mobi is an absolutely beautiful comic reader app. I use it every day so the cost was well worth it. It has intelligent zoom functions, like if you tap a dialogue box on a page, it detects the edges of it and pops open a perfectly framed zoom window for just that box. It also has really nice page turn animations. just a really well put together app, aside from the menus, that is. Check them out, well worth the look.

crankyd00d

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Good choice, you should try to get a tablet with the most RAM you can get in case you want to start reading comics in .cbr or .cbz, or .rar or .zip formats, depending on how many pages are packed in a file that RAM will come in handy. Regarding apps, you should try Perfect Viewer for your local files, or Manga Watcher for web reading. I hope this helps

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Doesnt have to be the nexus10 honestly. Any 10 inch tablet will do. I have been using a Xoom since the day it came out, and am glad to be finally retiring it for a nexus 10, but any 10 inch android tablet will suit your needs. Comics look fantastic on the 10 inch screens, and while a small amount of pinching and zooming is sometimes necessary, it is MUCH better than on a 7 inch screen. If you collect digital comics in the form of .cbr or .cbz files, i would strongly recommend Komik, or if you dont mind shelling out $15 for it, Comic Reader Mobi is an absolutely beautiful comic reader app. I use it every day so the cost was well worth it. It has intelligent zoom functions, like if you tap a dialogue box on a page, it detects the edges of it and pops open a perfectly framed zoom window for just that box. It also has really nice page turn animations. just a really well put together app, aside from the menus, that is. Check them out, well worth the look.

It's better to have a very high-res tablet for comic, magazine etc viewing IMO. Just so you can read it as if it were print.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

sterpazook

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Doesnt have to be the nexus10 honestly.
Yes it does. Either Nexus 10 or iPad 3gen. The sharper the screen the better comic book looks - art and fonts everything looks sharper and more vivid on fullHD+ screens. Since I tried new ipad I can't read on 1280х800 tablets anymore - they comics look soapy and ugly.
Check the attachment to see the difference View attachment 46462
But even the HiRes screens still loose to printed comic books. I think the resolution should be twice higher for eyes to be unable to notice the difference between paper and digital screen.

Run L1ke H3LL

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I'm going to be the only one to suggest it.

Save yourself the money and buy a Nexus 7.

I tell ya, one of the primary things I use my Nexus 7 for is reading comics. Never once have I had to pinch and zoom unless on two page splash pages. And neither have I had a complaint about resolution either. Actually I usually recommend it as a comic book reader when people ask me about. My suggestion to you would be to try and get your hands on one and download Perfect Viewer (phenomenal free app BTW) and test it out. Plus, the 7 inch size is perfect to hold just like a comic book.

SuperJonCA

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I'm going to be the only one to suggest it.

Save yourself the money and buy a Nexus 7.

I tell ya, one of the primary things I use my Nexus 7 for is reading comics. Never once have I had to pinch and zoom unless on two page splash pages. And neither have I had a complaint about resolution either. Actually I usually recommend it as a comic book reader when people ask me about. My suggestion to you would be to try and get your hands on one and download Perfect Viewer (phenomenal free app BTW) and test it out. Plus, the 7 inch size is perfect to hold just like a comic book.

Looks like you didn't read his original post.
He said he doesn't want to pinch and zoom. Don't come in here acting like the hero when you didn't read his statement. And op, nexus 10 FTW!

Marcus Noble

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you are going to be reading comics in the .cbr .cbz etc format then I highly recommend you get Comic Rack. It is by far the best comic reader I've used. They have a paid and a free app. If you get the desktop application you can organise your comics on your desktop machine and sync them to your device.

gfsockmonkey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i have found that since purchasing the nexus7, that i mostly read comics on it.....it just looks so damn good (comixology and dark horse apps).

if the comic is "setup" right, you do not have to pinch and zoom.
the two i use have frame transitions that make the reading so much easier.

you can spin landscape or portrait as well to make the frame fill the screen...but even on a 7" screen, i find it unnecessary.

Last edited:

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i have found that since purchasing the nexus7, that i mostly read comics on it.....it just looks so damn good (comixology and dark horse apps).

if the comic is "setup" right, you do not have to pinch and zoom.
the two i use have frame transitions that make the reading so much easier.

you can spin landscape or portrait as well to make the frame fill the screen...but even on a 7" screen, i find it unnecessary.

The only thing I disagree with here is that I do find it necessary to rotate between landscape and portrait.
I also use Comixology and have it setup to show the whole page on a page turn, then zoom panel by panel, then show the whole page again before turning the page. This way I get that great graphic overview of the whole page and the full screen panel to read - in my opinion, no compromise.

I've ordered the Nexus 10 (got my shipping notification this morning), am am looking forward to my comics on it! Magazines too.

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If you are going to be reading comics in the .cbr .cbz etc format then I highly recommend you get Comic Rack. It is by far the best comic reader I've used. They have a paid and a free app. If you get the desktop application you can organise your comics on your desktop machine and sync them to your device.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

ComicRack is the absolute best comics app for android.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
you can also side load Google play. look for the gapps download that everyone flashes when they put on roms like cyanogenmod. (that would be the most cost effective solution)

if cost is no issue, in my experience, anything less than a 10 inch screen is not ideal for reading comic books

devlogic

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
A lot of dirty pirates, eh? Comixology, Marvel, and Dark Horse apps are all paid-content-only apps; how, exactly, is this killing the industry?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae