Nexus 10 vs iPad 4th gen. vs Surface RT

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Pssh surface doesn't have anything on the other two, its a monstrous behemoth that isnt even good enough to run windows eight.

I'm still sticking with win 7 no matter what. The removal of the start bar was complete bs and is a navigational nightmare.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Irontheater

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Please excuse my noobness. I am in the market for a tablet and will use it for streaming movies through Netflix or watching movies all day (average 10 hours daily). I know the iPad has a stronger GPU with a weaker CPU/ram but the Nexus has a weaker GPU with a stronger CPU/ram. As far as what I will be using the tablet for, which would hold up better? The thing I am most afraid of is dropped frames during action scenes or after a long time of playback.

Also, what is the tradeoff between having a weaker GPU stronger CPU, weaker CPU stronger GPU

If that's you only motif, streaming videos, then I would (hands down) get the Nexus 10.

The Nexus 10 has a better aspect ratio for movies (you're going to get a ~25% wider screen), higher pixel density, about the same contrast ratio as the iPad, but brighter backlight, has an HDMI port (you can link it directly to your TV/PC/Laptop), and has Front facing Stereo speakers.

So definitely, and hands down, the Nexus 10 beats the iPad when it comes to movies.

Movies are not GPU intensive applications, and you will be able to run them smoothly on both devices regardless of one having better GPU specs than the other.

What the GPU does give you, is a better ability at handling high-end games (... the type of games that I have personally not yet seen, sure Infinity Blade is GPU intensive, but it runs smoothly on the iPhone 4, which is over 2 years old, and lags behind today's hardware).

So having a weaker GPU (for the time being) will not make or break anything.

What the CPU does is help you at handling multi-threaded, high complexity applications, again, you are not compiling codes or editing movies with Adobe After Effects, and since iOS doesn't have real multi-tasking, so you basically won't run out of CPU power.
Android on the other hand does, and it enables you to switch swiftly between two complex processes, or running two processes at the same time in dual windowed mode (... not sure there's an application for it though ... can anyone confirm?).

futureandroider

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
If that's you only motif, streaming videos, then I would (hands down) get the Nexus 10.

The Nexus 10 has a better aspect ratio for movies (you're going to get a ~25% wider screen), higher pixel density, about the same contrast ratio as the iPad, but brighter backlight, has an HDMI port (you can link it directly to your TV/PC/Laptop), and has Front facing Stereo speakers.

So definitely, and hands down, the Nexus 10 beats the iPad when it comes to movies.

Movies are not GPU intensive applications, and you will be able to run them smoothly on both devices regardless of one having better GPU specs than the other.

What the GPU does give you, is a better ability at handling high-end games (... the type of games that I have personally not yet seen, sure Infinity Blade is GPU intensive, but it runs smoothly on the iPhone 4, which is over 2 years old, and lags behind today's hardware).

So having a weaker GPU (for the time being) will not make or break anything.

What the CPU does is help you at handling multi-threaded, high complexity applications, again, you are not compiling codes or editing movies with Adobe After Effects, and since iOS doesn't have real multi-tasking, so you basically won't run out of CPU power.
Android on the other hand does, and it enables you to switch swiftly between two complex processes, or running two processes at the same time in dual windowed mode (... not sure there's an application for it though ... can anyone confirm?).

Thanks for the informative reply. I was watching reviews and have been reading comparisons for the past couple days and was looking at some benchmark tests between the N10 and the iPad4. I noticed most of the benchmark videos the reviewers run some fish test and there is a significant decrease in dropped frames when comparing side by side. I have no idea what the fish test means but the dropped frames does worry me. Should that be a concern of mine at all?

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
One word ... iTunes ...

Therefore will never own an apple product ever again. Got my wife a Nexus 7. She tells me when she's done with her 4s she's going android.

My work is done!

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh and according to my iphone using acquaintances "too poor to buy an iphone". lol xD

THIS! I know this is off topic but why do these apple phreaks assume that Android fans are poor? I have a friend who has a development company that until recently exclusively developed for iOS, but has recently hired a couple guys to help him port one of his apps to andriod. When he approached me to help test out his app I asked which device he would prefer I try it on and listed out my 3 phones and 4 tablets, his first comment was "Wow, I thought all you android guys were poor" WTF!? His app sucks btw, pure garbage. Its beautiful on my wifes ipad but the android port is a peice of . He didn't realize that the hardware search button was going away on almost all android devices and has become a UI element, so his app, which requires a lot of searching to be any good, doesn't allow you to search if you don't have a hardware search button.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I find it funny when iPeople use that stupid "too poor for an iPhone" line as a joke against us when iProducts are all overpriced. XD

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Geeze,,,,,, this is tough,,,, comparing my Nexus 10 against my iPad,,,,, they are both great tablets and both have there pros and cons.

I guess I'm keeping both of them,,,,,, one thing I will say though is I'm finding some task's that are easier to do on the IPad than on the Nexus 10,,,, and for the Nexus 10,, Google voice kicks Suri's ass.

On a side note,,,,,,My ipad mini rocks and I returned my Galaxy tab 7 after comparing both of those.

Cheers
Davyo

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech