Really Hating My Nexus 10 and the crap battery!

MrGutts

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Since I got my Nexus 10 this past Friday I am really freaking pissed off at Google for one and the terrible battery.

The battery blows, I am getting on average 3 hours of use before I have to charge the damn thing, like browsing the web and streaming vids. This is with just wifi running, Bluetooth off, NFC off and screen dimmed to 15-20%, but according to specs I shouldn't have to do any of that to get my 9 hours average. I really don't know how they test that, 9 hours of just sitting idle maybe. I think if I gave it a real HD movie, it may crap it's pants and just shut down.

Don't even get my on recharge time for the battery, so far it's been over an hour and it's now sitting 18% and it started at 1%.

Last edited:

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Since I got my Nexus 10 this past Friday I am really freaking pissed off at Google for one and the terrible battery.

The battery blows, I am getting on average 3 hours of use before I have to charge the damn thing, like browsing the web and streaming vids. This is with just wifi running, Bluetooth off, NFC off and screen dimmed to 15-20%, but according to specs I shouldn't have to do any of that to get my 9 hours average. I really don't know how they test that, 9 hours of just sitting idle maybe. I think if I gave it a real HD movie, it may crap it's pants and just shut down.

Don't even get my on recharge time for the battery, so far it's been over an hour and it's now sitting 18% and it started at 1%.

You seem to have a defective unit. I also got mine on Friday and it easily lasts me all day, if not into the next day. I have been streaming video, downloading and using apps and basically haven't taken my hands off of it since it arrived and I am getting 9 - 10+ hours. Charging it is painfully slow, which I do in the evenings, but it should definitely last you a full day.

Probably not what you wanted to hear - that you might be in the minority that simply got a defective battery (but it does happen) - but you should certainly be getting more than 3 hours. Have you tried to condition the battery? Fully charge, fully discharge, charge again at periodic percentages etc? Today's batteries don't really require this anymore, but it might help.

Also, go to settings and select "battery"...see if something other than the screen is draining it. Some apps are battery hogs.

MrGutts

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You get what you pay for. Buy an iPad.

Have 3 of them, do you want one?

You seem to have a defective unit. I also got mine on Friday and it easily lasts me all day, if not into the next day. I have been streaming video, downloading and using apps and basically haven't taken my hands off of it since it arrived and I am getting 9 - 10+ hours. Charging it is painfully slow, which I do in the evenings, but it should definitely last you a full day.

Probably not what you wanted to hear - that you might be in the minority that simply got a defective battery (but it does happen) - but you should certainly be getting more than 3 hours. Have you tried to condition the battery? Fully charge, fully discharge, charge again at periodic percentages etc? Today's batteries don't really require this anymore, but it might help.

Also, go to settings and select "battery"...see if something other than the screen is draining it. Some apps are battery hogs.

Yeah I finally got off the phone with Nexus support, guess they don't work weekends. After a long talk, they did say something was not right with the unit and will most likely ship me a new one but they wanted me to do a factory refresh on the unit just this once for troubleshooting and monitor the usage for 24 hours and call them back with details.

The Battery is at 55% ( 4:06pm ) charging still, started charging it at 12:27pm, 1%. It maybe done charging by 8 or 9pm tonight. So that would put it at about 9%-10% charge per hour.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
There is something wrong then. it should get you 9-10 hours.

I would ask you to do a factory reset. since it brand new there wont be any data that you need to backup.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

The battery blows, I am getting on average 3 hours of use before I have to charge the damn thing, [...].

I have been using both the Xoom Nexus and the Nexus 10 with similar apps over the past few days. I have also noticed that the Nexus 10 appears to be moving through the battery considerably faster than the Xoom (and it gets hotter). No question it is much faster. I do have some concern about this. I have used neither for hours and hours, so I can't add data to that discussion right now.

Please note that brand new Lithium batteries will not attain their full expected life until they have been cycled a few to several times. On some batteries, the difference can be quite shocking (25% or more).

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
3 hours and requiring a charge is likely a defective unit.

Also, if you're getting abnormally long charge times, make sure you turn the screen off while it's charging. There is a setting in the settings menu that doesn't allow the display to time out while charging, which will require considerably more charging time.

And let's all ignore the troll in this thread (and forum), he/she is clearly an idiot.

MrGutts

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Well the final tally for the the battery charge was from 12:27pm @ 1% to 7:16pm @ 100%. 13% to 14%ish per hour. Something has got to be broke, but lets see what happens tomorrow when I run around with it at work. :-\

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well the final tally for the the battery charge was from 12:27pm @ 1% to 7:16pm @ 100%. 13% to 14%ish per hour. Something has got to be broke, but lets see what happens tomorrow when I run around with it at work. :-\

That charge time can't be normal. Yes, it does take longer to charge than my Xoom, but nowhere near that long. 7 hours to full charge? Are you using the included, Samsung, higher-powered charger or some other microUSB charger?

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
That charge time can't be normal. Yes, it does take longer to charge than my Xoom, but nowhere near that long. 7 hours to full charge? Are you using the included, Samsung, higher-powered charger or some other microUSB charger?

I actually have been using the N7 charger, and while I haven't timed it, I still don't think it has taken me that long.

Anyway, I'm gonna say the OP has a lemon. I'm now trying to discharge my N10 and then do a full charge. So far I've done about 3 hours of movie watching, and it's only down to 75%:

Screenshot_2012-11-19-19-53-12.png

invokeregret

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I think something is wrong man. I took mine out of the box at 66% and went to class.I'm at 35% after 3.5 hours of not even turning the screen off and downloading everything I can think of. Get a replacement.

KevRDB

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't hate the battery, but I do hate that it requires 10-11 hours to fully charge this device from 5%. Y'all think this is why they want us to buy a pogo charger? I think they did a good job. I need one now! And it better be portable.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Yea man, something's wrong. I got great life out of it today - first day having it.

OTOH, the charging absolutely BLOWS on this. I understand that micro USB isn't the greatest for charging a 10 inch tab, but it barely increases if you're trying to charge and use it at the same time - and that's on a 2.x amp charger! They've gotta be able to do something about this. I can haz POGO??

Oli2k

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Mine lasts about 8 - 9 hours just for reference. Standby isn't that good but I've found a few issues that have dropped the drain overnight to around 5%