Really Hating My Nexus 10 and the crap battery!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't hate the battery, but I do hate that it requires 10-11 hours to fully charge this device from 5%. Y'all think this is why they want us to buy a pogo charger? I think they did a good job. I need one now! And it better be portable.

There is a limit to how fast they can charge using USB. But having usb charging is a *MAJOR* feature. I *HATED* having a proprietary charger on the Xoom.

1) No proprietary connector
2) No proprietary cable
3) No proprietary charger
4) Able to charge in car
5) Able to use one of those cool portable Anker portable batteries.

The Xoom charges faster with it's proprietary everything, but it was SO less functional! I personally don't care that it takes longer to charge. I am very happy with this setup!!!

samagon

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I *HATED* having a proprietary charger on the Xoom.

I agree!

I absolutely hated the proprietary connector for my asus.

It also sucked because the port for the charger was on the bottom, so I had to hold it awkwardly while using it while charging, always conscious of whether the cable was getting kinked. making sure I had it packed for trips, blah blah blah. ugh, so annoying.

So far, I'm loving the microUSB charging, and that it's on the side *mindblown*!

It does seem that the OP has a defective unit, if I have mine plugged in while using it, it actually gains battery. checked it yesterday after using it all sunday, and leaving it off the charger. had 28% remaining and screen was 58% (5hours of processor). Also noticed that The Weather Channel app had used 14%, won't have that happen any more!

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
As everyone has said there is clearly something wrong if you are only getting 3-4 hours. Take a look at your battery usage under setting to make sure you haven't installed some rouge app that is consuming all your battery. Otherwise if it's not an app exchange it. It's pretty simply and does not require acting like a spoiled child!

To the other users complaining about the time to charge. It's a limitation of Mirco USB! There will be a pogo charger that will charge quicker so don't get your panties all up in a bunch! Personally I prefer this approach so we at least have the flexibility to use an "industry standard" charging adapter.

MrGutts

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
That charge time can't be normal. Yes, it does take longer to charge than my Xoom, but nowhere near that long. 7 hours to full charge? Are you using the included, Samsung, higher-powered charger or some other microUSB charger?

Yes sir, using the standard stock one that came with the box. I do have plenty of others, but sticking with it factory one.

I actually have been using the N7 charger, and while I haven't timed it, I still don't think it has taken me that long.

Anyway, I'm gonna say the OP has a lemon. I'm now trying to discharge my N10 and then do a full charge. So far I've done about 3 hours of movie watching, and it's only down to 75%:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...P15yI/s800/Screenshot_2012-11-19-19-53-12.png

Funny you said something about a movie and so did I joking about it earlier. This morning I downloaded Amz Spider Man HD from the play store at 2.7 gig. I went from 100% down to 89%, just by doing that.

I replied to my Google support rep to get the ball rolling on getting this bad boy replaced. Maybe by the time I get my replacement, the new cases / covers will be out. :)

srosencrans

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
This is my first 10" tablet so don't have anything to compare it too, but my Nexus 10 charges in about 3-4 hours from completely drained. I'm guessing it's that beautiful screen that's eating up the battery.

That charge time can't be normal. Yes, it does take longer to charge than my Xoom, but nowhere near that long. 7 hours to full charge? Are you using the included, Samsung, higher-powered charger or some other microUSB charger?

MrGutts

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yea man, something's wrong. I got great life out of it today - first day having it.

OTOH, the charging absolutely BLOWS on this. I understand that micro USB isn't the greatest for charging a 10 inch tab, but it barely increases if you're trying to charge and use it at the same time - and that's on a 2.x amp charger! They've gotta be able to do something about this. I can haz POGO??

Are Pogo's even out for the N10, if so where?

ep1977

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Since I got my Nexus 10 this past Friday I am really freaking pissed off at Google for one and the terrible battery.

The battery blows, I am getting on average 3 hours of use before I have to charge the damn thing, like browsing the web and streaming vids. This is with just wifi running, Bluetooth off, NFC off and screen dimmed to 15-20%, but according to specs I shouldn't have to do any of that to get my 9 hours average. I really don't know how they test that, 9 hours of just sitting idle maybe. I think if I gave it a real HD movie, it may crap it's pants and just shut down.

Don't even get my on recharge time for the battery, so far it's been over an hour and it's now sitting 18% and it started at 1%.

I have the same issue with my nexus 7. I get about 4-5 hours tops and it takes about that same amount of time to fully charge. I was gonna get a nexus 10 for my son for christmas but I'm thinking Ipad now.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue with my nexus 7. I get about 4-5 hours tops and it takes about that same amount of time to fully charge. I was gonna get a nexus 10 for my son for christmas but I'm thinking Ipad now.

4-5 hours on a Nexus 7? I get like 2-4 days out of mine, using it primarily to surf the web 3-5 hours after work while I'm on the couch. If you're only getting 4-5 hours it likely means YOU are doing something wrong or you have a rogue app/service sucking up all of the juice.

Case in point: all of a sudden last week I was only gettin 1.5 days or so out of my N7. I checked the battery history to see what was eating up all of the juice and saw something called NFC Service (associated with the bluetooth icon) eating up 67% of the battery, so I turned bluetooth off until I could figure it out. It took all of 30 seconds to figure out what I changed that caused the battery drain. It wasn't difficult.

And if you are the type of person who misuses your own product and then decides to get a different product before figuring out what you're doing wrong...then you fit squarely into the iOS demographic. Good riddance.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Anandtech just reviewed the iPad Mini, and in it they have battery test results for the N7, N10, iPad4 and iPad Mini (among many others). As you can see, the N10 compares pretty closely, despite having to push a screen with a ton more pixels than the other tablets:

AnandTech - iPad mini Review

Also, the N7 and N10 clearly should get much more than 3-4 hours per use, unless you're playing a 3D intensive game non-stop.

ep1977

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
4-5 hours on a Nexus 7? I get like 2-4 days out of mine, using it primarily to surf the web 3-5 hours after work while I'm on the couch. If you're only getting 4-5 hours it likely means YOU are doing something wrong or you have a rogue app/service sucking up all of the juice.

Case in point: all of a sudden last week I was only gettin 1.5 days or so out of my N7. I checked the battery history to see what was eating up all of the juice and saw something called NFC Service (associated with the bluetooth icon) eating up 67% of the battery, so I turned bluetooth off until I could figure it out. It took all of 30 seconds to figure out what I changed that caused the battery drain. It wasn't difficult.

And if you are the type of person who misuses your own product and then decides to get a different product before figuring out what you're doing wrong...then you fit squarely into the iOS demographic. Good riddance.
I have all the settings to maximize battery life and use the nexus to surf the web only! I only know 2 other people with N7's and BOTH say that they get poor battery life too. To fully charge the N7 takes over 5 hours! Google services is the using the most battery on my tablet.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have all the settings to maximize battery life and use the nexus to surf the web only! I only know 2 other people with N7's and BOTH say that they get poor battery life too. To fully charge the N7 takes over 5 hours! Google services is the using the most battery on my tablet.

If you are actually USING the tablet (ANY tablet) on the battery, then "Display" should be using the most battery, and should probably be about 20 to 100 times more battery than "Google Services". Otherwise, you have some type of severe configuration problem.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Actually I have far more. I also have had both iOS and Android devices for years and likely know more about Android than most of the people here. When you buy Samsung made cheap plastic sold by Google at cost then you get what you pay for.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The reason it takes so long to charge is that it is using Micro USB and a bastardized version at that. Standard micro USB doesn't provide enough juice to charge a tablet.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The reason it takes so long to charge is that it is using Micro USB and a bastardized version at that. Standard micro USB doesn't provide enough juice to charge a tablet.

I love how you get on here and spout off "facts." Sense I'm sure that you know exactly how much current the battery needs to charge and Google cleared the profit margins on the Nexus devices with you. Please share more of you infinite inside information ;-)

I assume you would want a proprietary port that would limit your use of cables and take away the ability to easily plug in flash drives and other usb devises? Yeah that's the answer...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Actually I have far more. I also have had both iOS and Android devices for years and likely know more about Android than most of the people here. When you buy Samsung made cheap plastic sold by Google at cost then you get what you pay for.

Troll. Please go away

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

TROLL. Please go away.

Using USB to charge is *brilliant* because it is *STANDARD*. You don't need any special chargers or cables. You can charge just about anywhere. If you need to charge faster, the POGO contacts can do that.

GO AWAY

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37