hdmi mini no audio?

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So I connected my hdmi mini to nexus 10 to stream movie to my tv and video goes through fine, however no audio comes out... Do I have a faulty cord? Or is there no audio supported on hdmi mini on N10?

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So I connected my hdmi mini to nexus 10 to stream movie to my tv and video goes through fine, however no audio comes out... Do I have a faulty cord? Or is there no audio supported on hdmi mini on N10?

What app did you use to stream the video? What was the file codec?

The Micro-HDMI port DOES support audio. I've confirmed it on my TV from my N10. But I was using a downloaded movie from the Play store. It's possible if you use your own audio/video files it may not have proper audio codec support.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I was streaming directly from play movies, YouTube and my personal videos. I was unaware that apps were needed to get volume and I thought it just worked out of the box.

brandonyoung

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
If you are not connecting directly to the TV, you may try that. I had an HDMI switcher and I was only getting video. I plugged the cable directly to the TV and I got both sound and video. Or it could be a faulty cord.

But the Nexus 10 itself should give both sound and video. No special app should be necessary. If you can play it on the Nexus, you should be able to play it over HDMI. (Unless its HBO Go, I read that they disabled playback over HDMI)

I found several threads from different android devices with HDMI out having this issue. Sometimes, it just seemed that some combinations of devices and TVs just didn't work, Sometimes it was just having a switch, AV receiver, or something else between the device and the TV. Sometimes it was just a bad cable.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking its just the cord but I also checked out different forums and it seems with android device its just random.... To the use who got Audio tell me what type of HDMI cord you have?

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I was streaming directly from play movies, YouTube and my personal videos. I was unaware that apps were needed to get volume and I thought it just worked out of the box.

You don't need a separate app, the audio should work out of the box. My point was that if you are using a video player from the Play Store to play a video file that you have copied to your device, it's always possible that the audio codec in the video file is not supported and thus that is why it didn't play on your TV. But if you were playing something from the Play Movies app, it should have played fine.

Brandon

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
When I first tried it I wasn't getting video or sound. I verifyed the cable was OK then I reset the N10 real quick and everything worked fine.

Also make sure you have a simple setup. I have to feed my TV with HDMI and I have some cables running from the TV back to the surround sound to have audio. Nothing super difficult but it wasn't as easy as plug and play since I don't have everything run through my receiver...

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys! Turns out all I needed to do was restart my N10 (as Cynic X pointed out) and everything works perfectly now!

skotter

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Try a different hdmi cable. I had that problem this morning was going to call google then tried a different hdmi cable and voila the sound was there:)

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys! Turns out all I needed to do was restart my N10 (as Cynic X pointed out) and everything works perfectly now!

I found this with games too. Like GTA3 (which BTW the nexus can handle on MAX graphics no sweat) I had no sound (even on the device). Restarted my N10 and it was perfect. I read the reviews in the play store and a few people were complaining about no sound with the N10. Looks like there are still some kinks to work out....glad that worked for you though....

sufyan1234

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just received the blue rigger cable and it worked straight away for me. Related question though. With the HDMI output connected does it drain the battery faster?

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I just received the blue rigger cable and it worked straight away for me. Related question though. With the HDMI output connected does it drain the battery faster?

I haven't tested it but I think it would have to somewhat. More then likely the tablet can tell when something is connected and uses more power to provide to the HDMI. I did some battery test today vs my Xoom but tomorrow I'll test HDMI output.

As far as the Xoom goes if anyone is curious...

Using glbenchmark battery test I found out a couple things.

Using Egypt 2.5 HD @ 60 fps the Nexus 10 uses more battery and gets significantly warm. The Xoom is very laggy to the point its annoying to watch (unwatchable) but it stays cool. The N10 is using more battery but is doing a lot more so its a moot point.

Using Egypt 2.1 @ 30 fps both tablets keep up. The N10 still gets a little warm whereas the Xoom stays cool. The Xoom however has obvious artifacting especially with shadows. The Nexus STILL is using more battery at this point.

On the second test with Egypt 2.1 @ 30 fps I started both test at the same time (however the N10 loaded a lot faster) the N10 was at 71% battery and the Xoom was at 70%. By the end of the brief test I performed the N10 was at 64% while the Xoom was at 66% so the N10 passed the Xoom. However I'd like to point out this wasn't a very scientific test but it looks to be a power hungry device especially consider it has a larger battery....

All test were using the 100% brightness mode. Both screens LOOK about the same brightness at 100%

Jim Hanley

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Inserting the micro HDMI cable may activate audio mute. Press & hold power button, and press the speaker on the pop-up to cancel mute. My micro HDMI cable transmits audio without any issues on my Nexus 10 after cancelling mute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy