I'm so glad I returned my iPad4 and got the Nexus 10

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you what, I've been through many tablets, Xoom, Xyboard, HTC Flyer, Nexus 7, iPad 3. The iPad was hands down the smoothest of what I've had. I really hate the onscreen button layout has gone to. Look how much screen real estate is taken up by the button bar and title bar on the Nexus 10, its insane.

There is also a functional issue with the Nexus 10, its wifi only. I don't know why Google is having such a tough time with multiple carriers, Samsung & Apple seem to be doing it just fine. I need a tablet that has LTE connectivity, therefore I'll be using a iPad 4 and my Android phone.

Another thing to think about is usage. A lot of what I do is not possible on a Android tablet, simply because developers are not investing time to create quality tablet apps. The apps I need are only available on iPad.

Last thing, I don't care what anyone says, Jelly Bean may be the smoothest Android OS, but it is NOT smoother than iOS, its just not.

You may be right about about some the apps, But let's be honest. ..IOS is a complete joke, the lack of customizations, and the fact that it's the same OS has an IPod or iphones shows Apple lack of innovation. I've owned An ipad all my life and im bored and sick of no forward progress with their OS. The N10 is just the beginning, Once Google starts pushing out updates, The Ipads won't hold a candle to Googles tablet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You may be right about about some the apps, But let's be honest. ..IOS is a complete joke, the lack of customizations, and the fact that it's the same OS has an IPod or iphones shows Apple lack of innovation. I've owned An ipad all my life and im bored and sick of no forward progress with their OS. The N10 is just the beginning, Once Google starts pushing out updates, The Ipads won't hold a candle to Googles tablet.

This is exactly what I have been thinking for a while now! Everyone claims that because iOS has the same operating system and look on all devices that it is somehow superior when to me it just shows Apple's lack of innovation and overall ingenuity.

As for apps, the Nexus 10 is one of the first MAJOR 10" Android tablets so yes apps may not be particularly optimized yet but just give it some time! Do you really think that when the first iPad or even the second iPad was released there was a slew of tablet optimized applications? At least the N10 can scale some phone apps up to tablet size without just "zooming" and not to mention with Android's booming Play Store it shouldn't take nearly as long as it did on iOS to get fully optimized 10" tablet applications!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
As for apps, the Nexus 10 is one of the first MAJOR 10" Android tablets

I don't agree with that wording. The first "MAJOR" 10" tablet was the Xoom. It was essentially the first Android tablet, period (everything before it was a "craplet" running poor hardware and an Android not designed for tablets). And that came out almost 2 years ago. And the USA WiFi Xoom is essentially a Nexus- the first Nexus tablet, the first Honeycomb device, almost the first ICS device, the first non-phone updated directly by Google, the first non-phone Android device designed to Google's specs, and the only tablet to have been officially updated from the first Honeycomb version all the way to Jellybean and might even see more updates...

so yes apps may not be particularly optimized yet but just give it some time! Do you really think that when the first iPad or even the second iPad was released there was a slew of tablet optimized applications?

And on this, I couldn't agree more. I think the Android tablet market has matured tremendously over the two years since the first Xoom- in hardware and manufacturer choices, OS updates, and application optimization. Note that Google Play now has over 700,000 apps in just their store, alone (which now SURPASSES APPLE). Even those not "optimized" for larger screens or resolution will still work fine and thousands are updated every month.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, but why do you like it so much better? I'm debating between this and an iPad Mini.

First of all I would not consider the ipad mini. There is much better value in the Nexus7 unless you have specific apps you want (as listed by Solutions Etcetera)

But, I posted this in reply to another thread but felt it was worth posting to see how everyone else felt about it. I will say that I am a true Android fan and love the overall experience. I have 4 devices and am planning on buying the Nexus 4 soon. But I was in Staples yesterday and played with a bunch of Tablets. The Nexus 10 was not available yet, but the one thing I have always disliked most about Android is the laggy touchscreen compared to iOS. I'm not sure why this is such a problem but even my Transformer Prime just hesitates way more than it should IMO. Even the new Windows Tablet killed in the touch response dept.

I did a simple pinch to zoom test which I think really shows how a device performs in every day use. I loaded a website on the iPad 3, the new Asus windows 8 tablet, the Nexus 7, Acer Iconia, Asus TF300 and Transformer Prime. The differences in this experience were very obvious and noticeably glaring when switching back and forth. I felt that the winner was surprisingly the Windows 8 tablet followed by the iPad then the Nexus 7. The other Android tablets lagged and stuttered significantly compared which surprised me considering that Asus also makes the N7 and they put very little bloatware on their OS skins. But I even felt that the Nexus 7 still fell behind the Win8 tab and iPad. It wasn't bad to any degree but just felt like you had to push the screen more compared to the ultra sensitivity of its competitors.

Regardless of my findings, I am still happy with my Transformer Prime as it covers more bases that an iPad (keyboard, hdmi out, sd card support etc) but wonder why Windows was able to make such a responsive touch screen experience on their OS right out of the gate, while Android seems to lag behind in this department. Even with Project Butter Android still couldn't compete with the others. I am waiting to play with the Nexus 10 to see how it performs and I think it will be a winner, but I feel that Android is trying to fix this more with hardware rather than with Software. We are getting a better experience recently but I feel it is more due to adding ram and faster processors and not from better core changes to the Os.

More work needs to be done with project butter IMO.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
First of all I would not consider the ipad mini. There is much better value in the Nexus7 unless you have specific apps you want (as listed by Solutions Etcetera)

But, I posted this in reply to another thread but felt it was worth posting to see how everyone else felt about it. I will say that I am a true Android fan and love the overall experience. I have 4 devices and am planning on buying the Nexus 4 soon. But I was in Staples yesterday and played with a bunch of Tablets. The Nexus 10 was not available yet, but the one thing I have always disliked most about Android is the laggy touchscreen compared to iOS. I'm not sure why this is such a problem but even my Transformer Prime just hesitates way more than it should IMO. Even the new Windows Tablet killed in the touch response dept.

I did a simple pinch to zoom test which I think really shows how a device performs in every day use. I loaded a website on the iPad 3, the new Asus windows 8 tablet, the Nexus 7, Acer Iconia, Asus TF300 and Transformer Prime. The differences in this experience were very obvious and noticeably glaring when switching back and forth. I felt that the winner was surprisingly the Windows 8 tablet followed by the iPad then the Nexus 7. The other Android tablets lagged and stuttered significantly compared which surprised me considering that Asus also makes the N7 and they put very little bloatware on their OS skins. But I even felt that the Nexus 7 still fell behind the Win8 tab and iPad. It wasn't bad to any degree but just felt like you had to push the screen more compared to the ultra sensitivity of its competitors.

Regardless of my findings, I am still happy with my Transformer Prime as it covers more bases that an iPad (keyboard, hdmi out, sd card support etc) but wonder why Windows was able to make such a responsive touch screen experience on their OS right out of the gate, while Android seems to lag behind in this department. Even with Project Butter Android still couldn't compete with the others. I am waiting to play with the Nexus 10 to see how it performs and I think it will be a winner, but I feel that Android is trying to fix this more with hardware rather than with Software. We are getting a better experience recently but I feel it is more due to adding ram and faster processors and not from better core changes to the Os.

More work needs to be done with project butter IMO.

I don't think the tablet is the problem. I think chrome right now and that's why a lot of people are using other browsers right now.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the tablet is the problem. I think chrome right now and that's why a lot of people are using other browsers right now.

I agree to some degree but even with Dolphin on my transformer prime its not even close.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Sadly for Google the latest iPad is actually the iPad 4 which destroys the Nexus 10 in benchmarks.
you are in the wrong website. there is a website called imore.com
I always wonder, does ur butt hurt which makes you comes here to troll??? I guess that's a win for Nexus 10

patjm23

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree i want to know. i have a nexus 10 and im sorta of regretting getting it. its not that im not happy with the nexus 10, i am very happy. But i feel ill be happier with the ipad 4 mainly because of apps. I thought i could live with it but its hard to find an app made for a tablet on google play let alone the nexus 10. everything is either blown up or lags. I feel like the ipad will be more buttery smooth. Also my nexus has froze a couple off times and turned off, and that scares me. I bought the 32 gb model at walmart online and im hoping I can return it. I dont know what to do.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree i want to know. i have a nexus 10 and im sorta of regretting getting it. its not that im not happy with the nexus 10, i am very happy. But i feel ill be happier with the ipad 4 mainly because of apps. I thought i could live with it but its hard to find an app made for a tablet on google play let alone the nexus 10. everything is either blown up or lags. I feel like the ipad will be more buttery smooth. Also my nexus has froze a couple off times and turned off, and that scares me. I bought the 32 gb model at walmart online and im hoping I can return it. I dont know what to do.
did you create an account AGAIN to troll AGAIN?

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
did you create an account AGAIN to troll AGAIN?

Sounds like his first time owning a android tablet. He said he just came from a Ipad 4. Maybe he forgot to update the OS. Plus updating apps. Chrome needs to be updated to. They are working on a unreleased version of chrome right now and haven't released it yet. Basically the Android Chrome isn't on par with the windows one yet but they are hard at work on it. He Doesn't sound to much like a Troll, though this probably wasn't the best post for his first comment. And your first major freeze/crash is pretty scary with that scary return window closing fast. I freaked out the first time and eventually exchanged my defective Nexus 10 for another less crashy, less light bleed one. I'm happy with mine.

patjm23

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
lol prob not the best first comment. And I never owned an ipad. I went with the nexus because it looks really good on paper. I love the build much more than the ipad. And no everything is updated. Its not a laggy tablet but it has it's hicups. The thing is I'm a perfectionist and wanted the tablet with the least amount as possible. I swear I'm not trolling anyone. I just want some opinions on what to do. I love the nexus 10 but i cant get the ipad out of my head. I think its the apps.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I think Still1 was implying that a particular poster who was banned from the N10 forums had reregistered under a new alias to spout the same message.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

lol prob not the best first comment. And I never owned an ipad. I went with the nexus because it looks really good on paper. I love the build much more than the ipad. And no everything is updated. Its not a laggy tablet but it has it's hicups. The thing is I'm a perfectionist and wanted the tablet with the least amount as possible. I swear I'm not trolling anyone. I just want some opinions on what to do. I love the nexus 10 but i cant get the ipad out of my head. I think its the apps.

First of all, welcome. Second, let's see about some of your concerns....

1. If your tablet has "froze a couple of times and turned off" it shouldn't scare you. It's a known software bug that should be updated soon. If you disable location services in the settings there's a good chance that will prevent many of the freeze-ups (has worked for me so far).

2. You comment about apps is probably what prompted folks to think you were trolling. Many online tech sites and reviewers like to toss out the bit about how Android doesn't have as many tablet apps as Apple does. While that may be true (although the numbers are growing by the day), I also find that apps that were built to run on a phone display run better in the Android world than they do in the iOS world, so there's not as much of a need for tablet-specific apps. I also feel like that's just become a sticky bullet point that fans of iOS products like to throw around any time there's a debate of platforms, but seriously, compare the difference between an iPHONE app running an iPAD and an Android phone app running on an tablet... I think the latter does a much better job, which is nice when you own several Android devices and can run all of your apps across them.

I have a Nexus 10 now and previously had an original Galaxy Tab 10.1, so I've been using an Android tab for a while -- and at first the tablet apps were very scarce, but at this moment I have quite a number of tablet-optimized apps running on my N10, so I think the confusion lies in your statement, "but its hard to find an app made for a tablet on google play let alone the nexus 10" because there are a decent number out there. Is there something in particular you are looking for?

If you've already made your mind up go ahead and return it, but you may be looking for problems that aren't really there. Frankly, I think this is a great device and wouldn't trade mine for 2 iPads if someone offered them to me.

Last edited:

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Good games to download would be Dead Trigger, Shadowgun Dead Zone, Death Dome, Dragon Slayer. Apps: Facebook, IM+, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Youtube, Pandora, Norton, Google Currents, ect.... Go crazy with Widgets

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree i want to know. i have a nexus 10 and im sorta of regretting getting it. But i feel ill be happier with the ipad 4 mainly because of apps. I thought i could live with it but its hard to find an app made for a tablet on google play let alone the nexus 10. everything is either blown up or lags. I feel like the ipad will be more buttery smooth. Also my nexus has froze a couple off times and turned off, and that scares me I dont know what to do.
Hello Pat,
I too was in your EXACT situation.. I gave it about 10 days and had seen enough. I made the return to Wal-Mart.. And currently have a 64gb Mini.. It's wonderful Pat.. No Lags, No Shut Downs/Force Closes/Freezes..It just works Buttersmooth all the time Pat..and if you are a gamer you get all the effects in gameplay as well I noticed in N.O.V.A.3 your current tablet does not show simple things like the smoke coming out of the buildings on fire or the debris falling from the sky when you first start the game..and it dropped frames when playing intense sceens.. The Mini has all of the effects and Never drops frames in this most intensive game.. same with NFS Most Wanted and several other high end titles.. Just go to Youtube and watch the difference and listen to the Youtube posters talk about how the 10 drops frames in these type of intense games and the Pads do not.. I hope you are still in your 15 day window otherwise I am affraid you are stuck.. Good Luck Pat !

flight

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm an iPad user but I've been hanging around this section of the forums because I'm considering a Nexus tablet. Unlike OP, I'm not planning on getting rid of my iPad when I get my Android tablet, since there are 3 apps that I use daily on the iPad that neither originals nor viable alternatives are available on Android. While I don't need another tablet, I'm an enthusiast and would love to own a Nexus and Surface along with my iPad. One thing is for sure in the tablet space: We've got it good.

hubcap43

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
No one has mentioned display aspect ratio. The iPads, up to now have had a screen size of 1024 x 768. It's now 2048 x 1536. The ratio is 1.3. No one makes movies or videos in that size. The Android tablets offer 1280 x 800. The N10 is 2560 x 1600, a ratio of 1.6. Go to a video store and ask to see the line-up of 1.3 ratio TVs. HD is 1.6. The N10 gives you full screen and no horizontal bars. Watching a video on my N10 is like holding my plasma big screen in my two hands. It's beautiful.

If you crop pictures to 1280 x 800, they will look stunning at 2560 x 1600.

Off topic: The Wi-Fi works way better then my Asus TF100.

Also, some websites sense the resolution and offer the normal website; not the mobile one.

Lastly, it is a beautiful thing to hold. Nice rounded edges. Beautiful Gorilla glass. And it is fast.

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I own an ipad 3 and a Nexus 10.

The ipad has better battery life, 4G and 64gb options, superior stability, and a more user friendly aspect ratio.

The Nexus 10 is lighter, more ergonomic, more affordable, has a much more dynamic OS, and front facing speakers.

Build quality on both is very good.

Certainly we've been over this all ad nauseum.

Since getting the Nexus 10, I've all but abandoned my ipad. As a matter of principle I do not understand why a company would intentionally limit the functionality of its products. I also don't like the feminine form-over-function design of apple products.

The Ipad 4 and Nexus 10 are hands down the top two 10" tablets on the market today. Most every day consumers would be happy with either of them. Sophisticated consumers will undoubtedly opt for the Nexus 10.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton