Storing PDF files on the Nexus 10

GaryAZ

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
My wife just received her new Nexus 10 and wants to store her sheet music (in pdf format) and to access the music without wifi. Any help on whether or not this can be done and if so, what app to use to store the files and to read the files. Thanks.

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sheet music? Sweet. Did you notice my avatar?

I wish I had a tablet or at least a decent size screen device... I'll stick around with my Galaxy Ace meanwhile...

So, let's get it done.

There are many ways to store the PDFs on your device. I like to keep on my Android the same organization I use on my desktop PC. For instance, I have > 2000 lyric files in TXT format, all ordered in folders of the artist's first letter (A, B, C, etc).

You can organize them whatever way you prefer, but the question is, how shall I get them on to my Android? There are some methods:

Copying the files over via cable

Plug-in your tablet in to your desktop computer. The tablet's SD memory card should be detected and mounted as a removable USB drive. Copy the filed from your desktop PC on to the tablet's SD memory card.

When finished copying, in Windows you must select to "eject" the SD card before you un-plug it.

Copying the files over via network

On my Android I use a program called Remote Web Desktop. It offers both a web interface to control the device, and also an FTP server. As long as both your desktop PC and the tablet are connected to the same network, you can start the FTP Server on the tablet, open an FTP application on the desktop, connect the desktop to the tablet, access the SD card, and copy the files over.

Syncing Files between dekstop and Android

There are a number of ways, but one of the most popular methods is via Dropbox. Basically, you install Dropbox on your desktop computer, and a Dropbox folder is created. Whatever you add in to the Dropbox folder gets uploaded to the web. And when you have Dropbox installed on another computer (or on your tablet), the files will be synced to it automatically (as long as it's connected to the internet of course).

I keep my lyric files in a folder inside my Dropbox folder on my desktop computer. Whatever changes there, is uploaded to the web.

On my Android I use an app called DropSync. With this app you can create pairs of folders (Android x Dropbox), and a type of sync. I sync my Dropbox's Lyrics folder with a folder on my Android. I do the same with some other folder with documents etc.

But I don't want to move or copy all my documents in to a Dropbox folder

No problem. I know what you mean, as that could imply spoiling the organization method you have on your desktop. And copying some files in to the Dropbox folder just wastes space, as now you have two copies of the same files.

Well, this gets more advanced. What you want to work with now on your desktop is with Symbolic Links (aka HardLinks and Junctions). In this case, more specifically HardLinks.

Basically, a Hardlink is an extra link to the same file. A single file can look as if it's in various folders on the same computer drive, but when in fact they're pointing to exactly the same file on the drive. So the secret is to create hardlinks in the Dropbox folder only to the files that you want and that are in another folder.

Symbolink Links can be used on NTFS partitions (your Windows XP onwards normal drive type) and on other systems. I suggest you read here more about it as it's a great tool!.

Reading the PDFs on the Android

I strongly recommend application ezPDF. Much better than Adobe Acrobat.

That's all for now.

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's fine for one PDF (but you will have to download the e-mail and save the attachment - and the attachment occupied space in the email storage data).

But when they say "sheet music", I am 99.99% sure that it's not a single score, but several files with scores for several songs... And that would be impractical to send over via e-mail.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
yes, possible. connect your tablet to your computer.copy the files and use pdf reader app to read the file. there are ton of app in the market.

or

you could upload all music files(pdf) to google drive or drop box. download all files in tablet using the app and use the pdf app to read it.

Last edited:

GaryAZ

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick and clear response. My wife is happy. She sings and has over 500 sheets of music in 4 binders. She is now back at the scanner.

Gary

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick and clear response. My wife is happy. She sings and has over 500 sheets of music in 4 binders. She is now back at the scanner.

Gary
i didnt answer your what app question. here are some suggestions.

you could use google drive/ drop box app(android app) to download all files to your tablet. but to upload you files from desktop you could use google drive and dropbox upload app(desktop app, go to respective website to download the software).

to read pdf files I would suggest looking at ezpdf reader, adobe pdf reader, moon reader, aldiko

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
There are a number of music reader apps on Play.Check out Timber music viewer, MobileSheets. If she gets any music from the Music Notes website they have an app that will let her sinc her tablet to her account, and view the music on her tablet.

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
This requires wifi so it's not quite what you're looking for. She could the pdf files on Google Drive and when she has wifi available download the ones she'll need.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I access quite a few PDF files for work. I will either download them from the internet, email or copy them from my computer using a USB cable. When I need to view them I open Astro (file manager) and find the particular file I'm looking for and just use the built in quick office HD to view it.

Using astro you'll be able to move the files into specific folders to help organize the music. Other may recommend different file managers, they might be better I just use whatever...

Micky Horton

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi I am not we exactly the most computer literate person, but if anyone could help:
I have been browsing recruitment websites and they want me to upload my c.v but I can't seem to manage it. I had it as an attachment on a g mail I downloaded it to the nexus fairly easily but when I try to upload it the options are just gallery camera etc no way of getting my c.v from my download to the site hopefully I made some sense

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi I am not we exactly the most computer literate person, but if anyone could help:
I have been browsing recruitment websites and they want me to upload my c.v but I can't seem to manage it. I had it as an attachment on a g mail I downloaded it to the nexus fairly easily but when I try to upload it the options are just gallery camera etc no way of getting my c.v from my download to the site hopefully I made some sense

Here's how I do it...

1st, install a file explorer, such as ES file explorer (many others may work). Then when composing in Gmail, you should have an option to use the file explorer to attach your file...just browse to it and and select it (generally in the "download" folder).

genoist

May 28, 2010
Visit site
This requires wifi so it's not quite what you're looking for. She could the pdf files on Google Drive and when she has wifi available download the ones she'll need.

I have all my PDF's in my Google Drive. The ones that I need to be able to access offline have been pinned to the device. While connected to the Internet go to the folder in Google Drive that contains the PDF. Long press on it and select "make available offline". Now that file can be viewed sans Internet connection.

suxen01

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi
i am trying to transfer epub file from PC to Nexus 10 by usb cable
i get a msg file not supported i am not able to copy it
meanwhile with dropbox no problem How come ??
i d like to know it why i cannot do it by cable w/out connection..i could need it even for big files
Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae