Youtube does not go fullscreen when I rotate to landscape

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
That's all. It works on my Galaxy Nexus, but not the Nexus 10. This probably isn't the right forum, and I feel stupid asking, but if anyone knows the solution?

Yes, I know I can still manually fullscreen it, but it should work correctly. The fact it doesn't is one of the reasons my family still reaches for the 2-year old iPad first.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't make any sense for it not to

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
It's not supposed to. The app takes advantage of the extra screen real estate to utilize a different layout:

Screenshot_2012-11-17-09-24-39.png

I believe this is a part of the Fragments API. Anyhow, there is a button on the bottom-right corner of the video that will make it go full-screen:

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I agree this is intended. I've seen this action on a Xoom tablet which has lower resolution than my Galaxy Nexus.
I will also point out that the iPad version of the app still does fullscreen on landscape despite plenty of screen available.
If it is intended, I wish they would put a setting in preferences to allow me to decide if fullscreen on landscape is a default or not.

PaulH2

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I agree this is intended. I've seen this action on a Xoom tablet which has lower resolution than my Galaxy Nexus.
Actually, the XOOM and Galaxy Nexus have exactly the same resolution. I replaced my (recently dead) XOOM with a Nexus 10, but can't honestly remember if it automatically switched to full screen, but I don't think it did. It does on the Galaxy Nexus, but I believe the layout is intentionally different on tablets.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I think the differentiation is made by DPI and not pure resolution. I remember an article here about how if you altered the build.prop of the Nexus 7 to a specific DPI that the auto-rotation would behave differently. But honestly I'm not sure how it works.

The main reason I believe it's intentional, is because several other good tablet apps (Play Movies, HBO Go & IMDB) have built-in landscape orientation modes that allow you to watch a small screen of a movie/trailer/video while also using other parts of the screen for information about the video and suggested related videos, tv shows etc. The layout of IMDB and Play Movies is very similar, which leads me to believe IMDB devs are using the Fragments API exactly as Google intended, and the Youtube app is similar.

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
This same thing happens to all tablets, including the ipad. The thing is that as someone said above, the large screen allows to put a sidebar with more info to interact with and the fullscreen button is still there if you need it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad