Broken seal packaging

Testicleez

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Nexus 10 in today and noticed one of the two seals is broken and the other is about to rip. Everything is in the box that I could see, but not sure if the tablet itself had not been tampered or swapped out. Called Google and they said I could either send it back for a replacement or get a refund. They believe the box hasn't been tampered with and have received others calls with the same issue.

This is disappointing for my very first Google Nexus purchase and a big hassle to get it shipped back and wait for a replacement.

What do you guys think, should I keep it or replace it? I turned it on and everything seems ok so far.

Anyone else have this issue with the broken seals? Other forums are reporting this as well, seems like it's not an isolated case.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
As long as your Nexus functions fine and/or the condition it's in is satisfactory to you, you should just keep it. Although I admit, I would be a bit concerned myself if I were in such situation.

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

Last edited:

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Since only one was fully broken I'd keep it. If I remember correctly it wasn't possible to remove it with only one broken.

bigbossx

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Both of my seals were broken, but everything looked fine so I didn't care. The battery was at 60% so I just assumed they had set it up and added apps books movies etc. I dunno but I wasn't too bothered as long as it looked and worked fine.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Both of my seals were broken, but everything looked fine so I didn't care. The battery was at 60% so I just assumed they had set it up and added apps books movies etc. I dunno but I wasn't too bothered as long as it looked and worked fine.

If the battery was at 60% ish then it was still in its standby mode of a new lithium ion battery meaning it had never been turned on. That's where my battery was with a perfectly sealed box.

The battery will stay there for extended periods of time if the device isn't sold immediately. Once it's used the battery will naturally drain even if the device is off. This is very important because once a lithion battery gets to 0 vdc you'll never get the full life of it, sometimes it will completely fail.

You'll see this a lot with devices you leave on a shelf for a long time. Usually the battery won't last more the minutes. Sometimes they overheat and swell up and even but more more rarely leak or even explode.

Testicleez

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Since only one was fully broken I'd keep it. If I remember correctly it wasn't possible to remove it with only one broken.

Actually, I was able to open it on one side and remove the tablet. I'll play with the the tablet for a few days and see what happens. Some guys have complained about some backlight bleeding or something to that effect. I'll check for that too.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I was able to open it on one side and remove the tablet. I'll play with the the tablet for a few days and see what happens. Some guys have complained about some backlight bleeding or something to that effect. I'll check for that too.

On another forum a lot of people are reporting that they are getting replacements with broken seals. Do have any light bleed by any chance...not trying to beat a dead horse here but there seems to be quite a big problem with it. Just curious.

Testicleez

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just quick update: I emailed Google support regarding the broken seals and this was their reply:

" Thank you for contacting Google Play! The reason some seals are broken is because some customers selected the option to have their devices come already synced with their Gmail account. Someone at the warehouse had to put the information in manually."

I don't know if this is true but I did choose the option to sync my Gmail account with the N10. The thing I don't understand is why do they have to open the box and enter it manually. Anyone else choose the sync option and have their seals broken when the box arrives?

electroted

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
I also just received a N10 yesterday and had the same issue as you - both seals on the box were broken. I did wonder whether it could have been because I'd selected the option to have it ready-synced but the guy I spoke to from Google on the phone last night didn't seem to know anything about that option. I don't understand why they wouldn't replace the seals in the warehouse if that's the reason? They said I could send it back for a replacement but I don't know if I want the hassle! He also said if I was concerned that someone might have installed anything malicious then I could do a factory data reset on it.
But if Google support have put in writing that it was because of having it ready-synced then I guess you are safe enough. I might write to them myself to get reassurance... It's my first Android product so not the greatest first impression unfortunately.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I called the support number. I got the same explination.

It makes sense to me. These are manufactured elsewere. Then shipped to a Google storage warehouse. In order to have the device presynched they would have to power on the device. Can't do that without opening the box.

nitrorea

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
What is the benefit of having it synced already to your google account? Is it that really hard to do at home?

Makes sense though that the seals would be broken if you chose that option. Someone had to take it out, power it up and add your own account. Kind of scary that some dude in a warehouse can have access to your personal google info though......just saying.

I think I'll choose to have mone not synced. It will be interesting to see of the seals are broken in retail units.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't claim to know how they did it. I still had to input my Password. It still needed to download my GMail ETC. So I believe all it did was preinstall all my apps so I could have had it ready to go out of the box [worked late that night so I just let it charge til the morning]. I imagine they could do this without giving someone access to your account

Daft Wader

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I had 2 broken seals, with the message not to open if seals broken. But a moment's thought told me that they would have to open the box to register the Nexus to me as I had requested. No sign otherwise that this was a returned item.

Scott Curtis

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I can also confirm that the seals were broken in order to sync my account to the device. As soon as I enabled wifi the new device welcomed me by name and had all my details pre-loaded.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
if that's really the explanation, that's pretty poor and is a great indication that google has a loooong way to go as an end user retailer of ce product. amazon syncs all of the kindles to the recipient's account BEFORE sealing them up in the packaging...i don't know how they do it logistically, but they are selling a hell of a lot more than google , yet they figured it out. and not recently either, they've been doing this since the first kindle shipped...

MLN76

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
On the purchase page there is a little checkbox to have your Google account pre-set on your tablet and is set to do so by default. Is that by chance why these seals are being broken? I mean, they would have to open the thing to input your information. Just a suggestion, buying one in about 3 weeks and would like to know if this is the possible explanation.

Failed to read the previous posts....lol. But yeah....they can't just "wish" your account onto the thing through the cardboard....;p

Scrambler#AC

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I did not ask anyone to "sync" my N10, and a seal was broken and the other almost. You could get it out. But since I paid $500 for a NEW device, I sent it back. Took a couple of days to get the replacement, but I feel better about it, just in case if I have future issue, as at least I know no one else (at Google or where ever) messed with it.

dannylimag

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine had the seals ripped too, and since I live overseas I didn't have the option to return it. No problem whatsoever tho.

Sent from my Nexus S using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I did not ask anyone to "sync" my N10, and a seal was broken and the other almost. You could get it out. But since I paid $500 for a NEW device, I sent it back. Took a couple of days to get the replacement, but I feel better about it, just in case if I have future issue, as at least I know no one else (at Google or where ever) messed with it.

I would have too, although IIRC that option to sync your account may have been the default, as I think I had to un-check that option (maybe not).

I don't really see the advantage of having them do that, but you know there are some people out there really expect their technology to just "work" without having to do anything.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine arrived with 1 broken seal on one side and a half broken seal on the other. I didn't ask for my account to be be pre-sync'd or whatever, and it wasn't. It wasn't even me who purchased it as it was a gift from my mom. You could get it open with 1 broken seal, but everything looked intact and was clean, no finger prints, etc. It was a replacement for a N10 that was damaged during shipping and I had already waited way too long for a N10 so I didn't send it back. So far it has been fine.