Would anyone know why my bluetooth keyboard is not compatible with the nexus 10?

tjhop4292

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm a little confused. I got this keyboard a couple of months ago to use with my galaxy nexus when I'm at my desk, and in anticipation of using it with my nexus 10 when I got it.

Well, it works perfectly as expected with the GNex, and even works on my old droid X, but not on the N10. It will pair, and even recognize its an input device, but typing/using the trackpad/using the android dedicated function keys doesn't do anything.

I've been scouring the internet trying to find a reason for this but can't find anything. In an attempt to clear up the basic stuff:
- Bluetooth is off on all the other devices
- Nexus 10 does pair and recognize the keyboard. I have no idea how many pairs the keyboard can remember, but I've tested it on 2 friends' GS3s, my 2 phones and my friends tablet and it worked fine.
- The link to the keyboard lists the nexus 10 as being incompatible. Obviously I did not know this months ago when I got it because it wasn't out yet. Do they know something I don't? -___-

Thanks for any input, advice or educated guesses!

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I can't help you with your keyboard, but my BT Keyboard for my HP Touchpad also misses on the some of the key mappings. The tab key in particular isn't mapped right and the function keys. I am not too surprised at the function keys, but the tab key is a mystery. You are not alone.

Jim.

Banefire

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the same Motorola Keyboard. It does not work with Android 4.2. Looks like the drive/config file maybe missing. I have two other Motorola keyboards that do not have the track pad and I have the Motorola mouse and they all work with out as issue. So it has to be a configuration issue. Since I use this keyboard with my Xoom I have no issue. You could open a trouble report on the Android site. Google may fix it in the next release.

tjhop4292

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Well thanks for the effort fellas, sorry to hear about the other troubles.

I guess I don't really have any options then. I'll attempt to reach motorola too and see if they know a solution while I'm at it. Best of luck in your own situations.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm a little confused. I got this keyboard a couple of months ago to use with my galaxy nexus when I'm at my desk, and in anticipation of using it with my nexus 10 when I got it.

Well, it works perfectly as expected with the GNex, and even works on my old droid X, but not on the N10. It will pair, and even recognize its an input device, but typing/using the trackpad/using the android dedicated function keys doesn't do anything.

I've been scouring the internet trying to find a reason for this but can't find anything. In an attempt to clear up the basic stuff:
- Bluetooth is off on all the other devices
- Nexus 10 does pair and recognize the keyboard. I have no idea how many pairs the keyboard can remember, but I've tested it on 2 friends' GS3s, my 2 phones and my friends tablet and it worked fine.
- The link to the keyboard lists the nexus 10 as being incompatible. Obviously I did not know this months ago when I got it because it wasn't out yet. Do they know something I don't? -___-

Thanks for any input, advice or educated guesses!
are you on android 4.2.1??? update!!! i heard google fixed some blutooth problems on it.

Last edited:

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Glad I read this. I have a BT Motorola keyboard without a track pad and it works flawlessly and I was looking at that model..

tjhop4292

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for slow updates, its finals time here at school and I'm swamped =(

I'm on stock 4.2.1. Not sure if there were fixes for bluetooth, but this problem persisted through the update.

And well CynicX, I'm happy for you at least! haha

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Called Google about problems I'm having and the guy I talked to didn't seem to have a clue. I have an Apple Magic Track Pad and Wireless Keyboard, and they don't work like they're supposed to. It seems to me like Google messed up Bluetooth with 4.2. I am able to use both with my Galaxy Nexus without a problem and it's great! Looks like a lot of people are having Bluetooth issues with these new builds of Android: Android 4.2 on Nexus 7 has broken Bluetooth, users complain | CNET UK

I know I saw somewhere on Google's site that they were advertising a new Bluetooth stack or something. Maybe they shouldn't have tried to fix what wasn't broken...

tjhop4292

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Called Google about problems I'm having and the guy I talked to didn't seem to have a clue. I have an Apple Magic Track Pad and Wireless Keyboard, and they don't work like they're supposed to. It seems to me like Google messed up Bluetooth with 4.2. I am able to use both with my Galaxy Nexus without a problem and it's great! Looks like a lot of people are having Bluetooth issues with these new builds of Android: Android 4.2 on Nexus 7 has broken Bluetooth, users complain | CNET UK

I know I saw somewhere on Google's site that they were advertising a new Bluetooth stack or something. Maybe they shouldn't have tried to fix what wasn't broken...

Wow, for some reason it was only when you mentioned the whole bluetooth stack being changed did I remember this - Jelly Bean | Android Developers , despite still1 mentioning the bluetooth changes in 4.2.

Strangely enough though, I have been able to use android beam perfectly fine between the N10 and my galaxy nexus on CM10, and that relies on bluetooth. It seems that certain devices/uses are working since CynicX's keyboard is fine and beam is fine as I just said, but this keyboard and your devices aren't. Damn =/

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Wow, for some reason it was only when you mentioned the whole bluetooth stack being changed did I remember this - Jelly Bean | Android Developers

yeah, that's where it was!
New Bluetooth stack

Android 4.2 introduces a new Bluetooth stack optimized for use with Android devices. The new Bluetooth stack developed in collaboration between Google and Broadcom replaces the stack based on BlueZ and provides improved compatibility and reliability.

not sure where they're getting "improved compatibility and reliability" from...

tjhop4292

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Me neither, but it does say android optimized so I can only hope that at least SOMETHING good is coming out of all of this. It seems pretty clear to me then that all that could really be done is wait for Google to update again.

Ronald Geiken

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to let everybody know that as of 2/2/2013, the Nexus 10 still doesn't work with my Bluetooth keyboard natively. I have to add a paid app to do that. It is unbelievable that a high end tablet like that has not corrected that problem. I saw a video on a Samsung Tablet, and when you added the Bluetooth Keyboard, the system asked you if you wanted to use it with the device and then everything worked fine. Nexus 10 does not ask you that. They need a toggle to allow either on screen keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard so that it will be fully compatible. After seeing how the Samsung Tablet made it so easy to set up, I was disappointed that with Nexus 10 you need to add a paid app to do that. I have used the NULL app, but that is somewhat spotty. The lack of proper integration of the Bluetooth Keyboard with the Nexus 10 would prevent me from recommending buying it. I see that supposedly the Bluetooth Keyboard integrates fine with the Nexus 7. Other than the Keyboard fiasco, I love the operation of the device.

Ronald Geiken

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem, and I think that it may be that the Logitech Keyboard is not listed in the notification area and you can't really select it. I was fooling with mine last night and for a second a screen came up with the Logitech Keyboard on it, but quickly went away before I could select it. Even though you have your Keyboard paired, unless you can select that it is the one that you want to be the default, it will work erratically. I had program crash on my last night while I was try to type things.l This is obviously a flaw in the Next 10 settings area. If you have a bluetooth and can't actually select it, they have not set that area up properly. Hopefully they will correct that soon. I heard from a lot of other posts that the people could make their keyboards work OK with Nexus 7.

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
How did you get it to work? I've tried the nullapp, and a doesens og other apps - no luck! I find it hard to believe that somethnig working perfect om my sgs II, is not working om a Nexus 10???? Please advise if you know hos to make it work!

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe they still haven't fixed the Bluetooth issues on 4.2.x. It's been months. Unacceptable.

If anything, couldn't they just go back to what they used through 4.1.x until their supposedly better Bluetooth stack actually works?

tjhop4292

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for not answering guys, I wasn't exactly expecting more posts so I kinda didn't follow up on it.

Anyway, from the best of what I can tell, the problem I was experiencing was because that keyboard had both the keyboard and a track pad. As I said in the OP, it would pair, but input would not work. That seems to me that the nexus 10 had no idea how to actually handle the input, considering its a combination of 2 input devices on the one bluetooth connection. As we already discussed, this is definitely related to the new bluetooth stack in 4.2, because it worked on my phone flawlessly on 4.1.2, but crapped out once I upgraded to 4.2. I have a feeling that this 2-in-1 device was just not a scenario that Google anticipated so theres no support for it (yet?) in the new bluetooth stack.

Anyway, I managed to sell the keyboard to a friend who was interested (and it works for what he does), and put that money towards a new keyboard. I ended up getting this one because I wanted a keyboard with a case to throw in my backpack with me to take to class with the tablet. There is a newer model as well, but that one has win8 function keys, and I'd rather android. =)
The keyboard works perfectly on 4.2. The absolute only complaint I have about it, is that it can only remember 1 pair. So for example if I used it on my tablet in class and then want to use it on my phone in my room, I need to forget any previous pair on my phone, hit the connect button on the keyboard to have it search for a new pair, and then enter a new pair request code on my phone. Definitely not as easy as I would like it to be, but I switch the device I use it with very infrequently, so its not insufferable.

Thats the end of my story. However, I have heard of several other success stories with keyboards, and several others where they work but are buggy. I've seen very few situations like mine where it would not work -at all- so hopefully that means the fix if/when it does get here will be simple.

tjhop4292

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to let everybody know that as of 2/2/2013, the Nexus 10 still doesn't work with my Bluetooth keyboard natively. I have to add a paid app to do that. It is unbelievable that a high end tablet like that has not corrected that problem. I saw a video on a Samsung Tablet, and when you added the Bluetooth Keyboard, the system asked you if you wanted to use it with the device and then everything worked fine. Nexus 10 does not ask you that. They need a toggle to allow either on screen keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard so that it will be fully compatible. After seeing how the Samsung Tablet made it so easy to set up, I was disappointed that with Nexus 10 you need to add a paid app to do that. I have used the NULL app, but that is somewhat spotty. The lack of proper integration of the Bluetooth Keyboard with the Nexus 10 would prevent me from recommending buying it. I see that supposedly the Bluetooth Keyboard integrates fine with the Nexus 7. Other than the Keyboard fiasco, I love the operation of the device.

Just to specifically address certain parts:
- If the keyboard does pair, then you can toggle whether or not its active for text input. If you go to a text field, the IME notification should appear. Clicking on that, a toggle will appear on top that says "Hardware Keyboard" with an on/off toggle.
- I just checked out the Bluetooth NULL keyboard to try and see what you're talking about, and even in the description it states that it won't make the keyboard work, nor will it break support. Its only function is to add a blank keyboard spot on the IME to remove the soft keyboard when connected to bluetooth, but this isn't a problem in 4.2 because bluetooth keyboards hide the soft keyboard.
- As far as I know, the only tablets that are running 4.2 stock are the nexus tablets. You're saying it was a different tablet, so I'm inclined to believe it wasn't on 4.2, which would mean that it had the older bluetooth stack, so things worked "normally" as we were used to.
- The problems we're referring to are OS based, not device based. If you're experiencing problems on one device with 4.2, they will be there with another. Trust me, it happened to me with the galaxy nexus/nexus 10. So my guess is that it wouldn't work fully/well with the nexus 7 either. My old keyboard that had problems I sold to a friend. Coincidentally, I'm friends with his roommate as well, who just recently bought a nexus 7 to port some of his iOS apps. For sh*ts and giggles, I tried to get my old keyboard to work on it, and it failed miserably. I brought my new keyboard over, and it worked fine. So unfortunately, just because its another device doesn't necessarily mean its smooth sailing my friend.

Regardless, I'm sorry you're having trouble, and I do still wish that Android would release an update to address the bluetooth concerns because more than a few people are having problems.

Last edited:

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I picked up the Logitech k810 keyboard and so far it works great. Because of this thread I stayed away from keyboards with track pads. I have an old Mighty Mouse lying around so I use that as my mouse with my keyboard. Nice thing about the keyboard is it remembers 3 connections, you can switch to a different device with the touch of a button.

tjhop4292

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the Logitech k810 keyboard and so far it works great. Because of this thread I stayed away from keyboards with track pads. I have an old Mighty Mouse lying around so I use that as my mouse with my keyboard. Nice thing about the keyboard is it remembers 3 connections, you can switch to a different device with the touch of a button.

Good for you man! I'm glad this helped at least someone.
I was actually considering getting that keyboard, but the other one was a bit cheaper and came with a case, so I settled on it. However, that easy switch between 3 devices sounds wonderful. Enjoy it bud.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000