Nexus 10 display/build quality

aalin13

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I currently have an iPad 3 that I'm thinking of giving to my mum and have been looking at Android tablets. Firstly, I would only consider Nexus devices as I'm too lazy these days to mess with custom ROMs and prefer the aesthetic and update promptness of a Nexus device, hence I've been researching on Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. I like the Nexus 7's price and design more, as I find the Nexus 10 a bit ugly looking (purely subjective), but I liked the Nexus 10's high PPI and larger screen for a laptop replacement device. As I've never owned an Android tablet before, I decided to get the Nexus 7 to test the water.

Anyway, so I went and bought a Nexus 7 32GB last week and had just returned it to the store today for a refund, my device had the screen lift along the left edge along with warm colour temperature for the display. Next to my iPad 3, the Nexus 7 had a yellow to pinkish tinge when looking at a white web page. I also felt that the display is quite washed out, and loses too much details when looking at brighter images. After doing much researching on the internet, I had decided to not play the exchange roulette and simply asked for a refund. I guess I'm a bit jaded after going through 4 Galaxy Nexus this time last year and not finding a single one with a even coloured screen and no purple tinge at low brightness. Just for the record, I'm still using the 4th Galaxy Nexus, and it has an uneven coloured screen. The only reason I'm still using it is because my telco (Telstra here in Australia) refused to give me more exchanges, and instead waived my device contract and had let me kept the device. Another reason for returning the Nexus 7 was despite the portability, I still had to carry a bag/case to take it with me when out and about, resulting in noticeable gain in portability over a 10" device. I also felt that the 7" screen is too close to a phone, and the advantage is not that great for me.

So, now I'm in a position to either get the Nexus 10 or an iPad 4. I have already ruled out Windows RT, and won't consider a Windows 8 tablet till Haswell and high PPI screen arrives on them. I've been an Android phone user for 3 years now and I do prefer the openess of Android, but I'm quite jaded with my experience of Nexus devices in terms of screen quality and build quality. The iPad 3/4 has a brilliant display in terms of colour reproduction and resolution, and without having seen a Nexus 10 in real life, it is in my opinion the best tablet display on the market.

And this brings me to my question, for those with a Nexus 10 already, how is the display quality when compared to the iPad 3/4 and Nexus 7? And also, is the Nexus 10 better built in terms of QC? I'm just a bit wary with Nexus devices after my experiences with the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7, it seems I have not had much luck with gadget as of late.

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long post, wanted to give you guys the whole story so I don't come across as a troll bashing the Nexus 7 and praising iPad 3/4

Cheers! :)

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I held mine net to my boss's iPad and they looked just as good. I thought they weighed about the same she thought her iPad was lighter, so it is all subjective.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 10 only looks ugly in pictures. Man it u hold this and look at it, it looks and feels so original and cool. Tackles anything you through at it with is and true multitasking and widgets make this a addiction. Just wish it was Amoled so everything popped more but i spend most of my day on this now.

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 10 only looks ugly in pictures. Man it u hold this and look at it, it looks and feels so original and cool. Tackles anything you through at it with is and true multitasking and widgets make this a addiction. Just wish it was Amoled so everything popped more but i spend most of my day on this now.

I agree with this completely. When I saw the pictures online, I really didn't think that I would like the overall looks of the Nexus 10. I was pleasantly surprised after receiving my tablet and taking it out of the box. It looks just as good as anything on the market, in my opinion.

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
It's tough to compare the 7 and the 10. IMO the 7 is a bargain tablet and for what it is does just fine. I will say the color saturation is really rough. I put the 7 next to the ipad mini and and screen still looked washed out. The 10 however is meant to be a high end tablet and really shows off its guns. The only tab that that can compare the nexus 7 is maybe one of the kindles. If your comparing ipads its only fair to set it along side the nexus 10 or possibly one of the newer generation Sammy tabs. I admit there should have been more research done before I purchased the 7. So I took it back and got the 10. I'm very happy now.!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

aalin13

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
It's tough to compare the 7 and the 10. IMO the 7 is a bargain tablet and for what it is does just fine. I will say the color saturation is really rough. I put the 7 next to the ipad mini and and screen still looked washed out. The 10 however is meant to be a high end tablet and really shows off its guns. The only tab that that can compare the nexus 7 is maybe one of the kindles. If your comparing ipads its only fair to set it along side the nexus 10 or possibly one of the newer generation Sammy tabs. I admit there should have been more research done before I purchased the 7. So I took it back and got the 10. I'm very happy now.!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

I did a lot of research on the Nexus 7, and it seemed that most reviews actually said the IPS display on the Nexus 7 is great. I had a play with it in the store and was immediately disappointed by the washed out look, but then I thought that for its price it is decent and I might be able to just live with it. Less than a week later though, I simply cannot overlook the quality of the display and as I mentioned above have returned it to the store.

I'm a bit hesitant about buying a Nexus 10 on the play store as most reviews seem to be again quite positive about the display. I feel that I need to see it in real life before making the purchase, unfortunately no stores have started stocking them here in Australia, hence I was hoping that people can comment about the Nexus 10 screen.

So, what do you think of the Nexus 10's display? Is it comparable to the iPad 3/4?

Thanks!

Doxcyguy617

May 26, 2010
Visit site
My family bought me an iPad 4 to replace my iPad 3, as a get well gift due to a surgery. I had also ordered a N10 as a present for myself ;) I also have an HP Touchpad running CM 9, which will now be a photo frame.

I have owned each iteration of the iPad since the original (except for the mini, as I prefer the 10 inch size). The retina display is beautiful, and the quality of tablet optimized apps is greater than that of Android, but that will change soon I am sure as the Android market share continues to increase.

In terms of smart phones, I have always had an android phone, and prefer it over an iPhone due to the availability of different models, manufacturers, screen sizes, etc.

Since I opened my N10, the only time I use my iPad is when my N10 is charging, or I need to air play something to the TV. Keeping fingers crossed for Miracast to come to the N10 soon.
  • I find the N10 to be significantly lighter than the iPad
  • the screen is amazing and HD quality is amazing
  • having stereo speakers is a really nice feature
  • the swype style keyboard in itself is a huge plus to me, and i can type things so much faster than on my iPad
  • I have had no build quality issues, but do experience daily freezes and restarts, which send to be common based on the forum
  • was able to side load flash, which is important until the entire Web is HTML5-ized

So to summarize... I received both the iPad 4 and N10 around the same time, and have not been able to put the N10 down. But on the flip side, I do have an iPad for my favorite iOS apps and any capability that may not be mature on Android yet. Oh, and I am annoyed (as usual), regarding available accessories at time of launch. Really want an OEM case and pogo pin dock charger.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

aalin13

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
So to summarize... I received both the iPad 4 and N10 around the same time, and have not been able to put the N10 down. But on the flip side, I do have an iPad for my favorite iOS apps and any capability that may not be mature on Android yet. Oh, and I am annoyed (as usual), regarding available accessories at time of launch. Really want an OEM case and pogo pin dock charger.

Thanks, I appreciate the comparison. I'm well aware of the app issue, and as someone who loves Android, I do want to buy into the ecosystem to help moving it forward. In any case, I can still borrow the iPad 3 from my mum if I need to.

I'm pretty much set on the Nexus 10 but just wanted to find out more about the build quality and display quality. Now I'll just need to somehow find one available for sale. It has been sold out on the Play Store here for awhile now, and it is not available in any retail store yet.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I agree with this completely. When I saw the pictures online, I really didn't think that I would like the overall looks of the Nexus 10. I was pleasantly surprised after receiving my tablet and taking it out of the box. It looks just as good as anything on the market, in my opinion.

I agree with both of you guys. here is a thread i created about Nexus 10 before i bought it. http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...riends-nexus-10-its-best-looking-amazing.html

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

aalin13

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
You should see engadget review. its like they purposely tried to make it look like $hit compared to the Ipad. They tested it with tons of unoptimized apps. They purposely tried to make photo spear fail and make it lag. I hate them so much now. >.>

That review caused quite an uproar in the comments, and they were subsequently deleted. I was quite disappointed by their review to be honest, but then again I have hardly looked at engadget since thisismynext was launched, along with the mass exodus of the old engadget team. To be honest, the only people on the engadget team that I will still reviews by or tune into podcast for are Myriam Joire, Dana Wollman, Joseph Volpe and Richard Lai. Most of the other members of the team are either pro Apple and mostly quite bland.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
That review caused quite an uproar in the comments, and they were subsequently deleted. I was quite disappointed by their review to be honest, but then again I have hardly looked at engadget since thisismynext was launched, along with the mass exodus of the old engadget team. To be honest, the only people on the engadget team that I will still reviews by or tune into podcast for are Myriam Joire, Dana Wollman, Joseph Volpe and Richard Lai. Most of the other members of the team are either pro Apple and mostly quite bland.

Yeah the guy who reviewed it is the guy who owns and reviews Ipads. Who had wrong facts like android added photosphere to compete with apples panoramic feature. Android had panoramic first. Hell android owns the notification bar patient that apple uses but for some reason it's been pending forever to go through yet apple can summit a patient that fails every requirement and it will go through. Did you hear apple's multi touch patient that it's been using to sue companies for years with was investigated and found to fail all 20 requirements to make it through the patient system.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay