Nexus 10 Features Fantasy

Atlanta1943

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
What follows is probably pure fantasy, but I hope a pleasing fantasy.

So the nerd group, which I believe includes myself as a member, is pleased that there is a Nexus 10, but not pleased that it doesn't include a microSD slot or USB OTG capability (other features?). Is there anything we could suggest to Google to get them to change their thinking on features included in products?

First, I think we need to understand Google's reasoning. They have stated that these features are confusing to the 'average' user. Google is following the path created by Apple, i.e. create a great product that only includes features that are rock solid. If features have problems or users are not sure how to use them, then they have to call tech support for help. Support is people; people cost money; avoid the need for support whenever possible.

Google is making a great business decision in following the Apple model. Apple has reached the point of having the largest market worth of all of companies in the USA. They are doing a lot of things right.

However, I'd like to suggest that Google should be a better company than to just copy Apple's premise in hardware products (right down to ripping off customers by charging $100 for an additional 16gb of storage - something that probably costs less them $20).

Let's remember that the nerd group generates excitement for what stands out in the tech world. This excitement filters down to the 'average' person and results in adoption by this group of people. Not that the nerd group deserves any rewards for doing this. It's just something in the nerd's DNA. However, is there something that Google can do that will cost them nothing (or close to nothing), and yet, still adds features that will please the nerds among us?

This is what I propose: have 'developer only' features (maybe needs a better name). These features will not be included in any documentation of the product, nor any advertising or any discussion by Google personnel.

The only thing Google will provide is a 'developer only' forum. Here an article will address access to the features - this ends Google's involvement. Support will only be provided by fellow users through the forum.

Access through settings will be several levels deep. Once found, we will be run through ten or so screens with dire warning that this is a 'developer only' feature for which Google will not provide support. After all of the above, we will be able to make a selection to give us USB OTG.

A microSD slot would have to be hidden from the 'average' user. It could be placed under the battery which obviously means the battery would need to be accessible.

As I started above, this is probably just a fantasy. The nerd group is small, and a portion of this group just roots their devices. I don't root my devices, but am somewhat pleased using Nexus Media Importer and a Gaunlet wireless drive.

What are your thoughts on my fantasy?

davrow

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Um, they already have a 'developer only' section buried deep that you need to access to unlock the bootloader. Is that the sort of thing you are talking about? :)

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Google left out microSD support becuase it would have to pay for tech support CSRs. They did it becuase thier business model is moving things to the cloud. Thus their equipment model needs to encorage users to use the cloud. Personally I also think that leaving out features in Nexus models is a great way to encorage Manufacturers to create other devices to sell to consumers who require those features. Which results in varity. Geeks like varity.

Apple wants everyone to own an iPhone, iPad, iPad-mini. Google doesn't care if you own a Nexus 10 or Transformer, a Nexus 4 or DNA ETC. they only want you to use Android.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Developer option is in nexus 10 and it's hidden like you have mentioned. They will only be visible where you do a certain steps.
It has many options and the option to enable USB debugging.

google has explained over a million time why they wont include SD card on Nexus. Google: Nexus devices don't have SD cards to avoid 'techy nonsense' | News | TechRadar
There is also one more reason. google(or the manufacturer) will have to pay MS if they include one.

tlchzj79

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
so what is the IQ level of an "average user" ? Google wants to make us believe that an IQ of a brickstone is sufficient to handle the Nexus 10 ?
Axel

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante