MLB.TV on the Nexus 10

zh

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm thisclose to buying a Nexus 10, but since baseball is out of season I haven't heard much talk about whether MLB.TV live streams are available for the device. I watch almost every Tigers game, most of them on my wife's iPad, and I can't buy a tablet that doesn't work with MLB.TV. I wouldn't be worried about this, except that the MLB website lists the most recent Galaxy Tab models as incompatible with MLB.TV -- and of course, Samsung manufactured the N10.

Does anyone have a firm answer on whether MLB.TV works with the N10? Would anyone with a subscription be willing to try it out and tell me what they find?

Thanks in advance.

mdcraig

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
It does work on the N10, but the picture isn't great. I'm pretty sure it stream in standard def, which looks a little rough on such a hi res screen. I'm hoping they will add support for higher resolution devices this upcoming season.

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It does work on the N10, but the picture isn't great. I'm pretty sure it stream in standard def, which looks a little rough on such a hi res screen. I'm hoping they will add support for higher resolution devices this upcoming season.

Move back, then you won't notice. :)

seagood3

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the Nexus 10 and the mlb app and the quality is pretty horrendous. I checked during spring traning and it looked fine. I have deleted the app and re-installed with no quality improvment. I could put up with it even if the quality was a little grainy, but the picture, slows down, speeds up, pauses, etc. It is unwatchable. I am incredibly disappointed as this was one of the things I was looking forward to most with my Nexus 10.

Is anyone experience a good quality experience while watching the games on a Nexus 10?

rswain64

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm having same issue as seagood3. Picture is pretty horrible. I have better luck watching it on my Galaxy S3.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I will echo what others have said. I have MLB.tv and while the app is compatible with the Nexus 10, the streaming quality is terrible. I'm not sure if the device is the problem though, or if it's the app. I ran into the same issue during the NCAA Tournament, trying to use the NCAA's free streaming app. Games were unwatchable on the Nexus 10. But they were nearly perfect on my laptop. It's the same story with MLB.tv: the stream is nearly perfect on my PS3 and laptop, but terrible on the Nexus. Considering the power of the processor inside the Nexus, I have to believe that it's not a matter of not being able to handle the stream; after all, Netflix works perfectly on the N10. So that leaves the app as the culprit, right? Is it possible the devs have created sub-par streaming apps? I don't know what else it could be, since I get ~15 MBPS down through my wireless internet.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Since the problem is with MLB app not the N10 I would suggest everyone lodge a complaint with the MLB app people. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

bigwilly087

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that the 2.2 update screwed everything up, hopefully fix comes soon. Also, over in the Mlb.tv support forum the developers claim the non hd picture is androids fault and to complain to them. Not sure how that makes any sense.

In the meantime what I have done with great results is install flash player and maxthon Web browser for tablet, set it to desktop mode, and just watch via Mlb.tv like you would do on a pc. Picture is perfect.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I read somewhere that the 2.2 update screwed everything up, hopefully fix comes soon. Also, over in the Mlb.tv support forum the developers claim the non hd picture is androids fault and to complain to them. Not sure how that makes any sense.

In the meantime what I have done with great results is install flash player and maxthon Web browser for tablet, set it to desktop mode, and just watch via Mlb.tv like you would do on a pc. Picture is perfect.

Is there a separate tablet app for MLBtv? Not sure if that should make a difference or not, just curious...

If this is "Android's fault", then why does the streaming game video from the NHL app look crystal clear on my N10? (That's what I'd be asking the MLB folks...)

rswain64

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I purchased Playon for my pc a few years ago and hadn't used it much. I just reinstalled it on my pc and then got the mobile app. The picture quality is way better using this method as compared to the MLB app. Note: You also have to install Vplayer to get the stream to work using Playon. I'll stick with this until the MLB app is updated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira