apps and file associations

ltk_man

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPad. Great device, physically, but coming from a Windows world, iOS on iPad is death to productivity and versatility.

Considering replacing iPad with a Nexus 10 or similar Android-based tablet, only if it does what I want. So, questions about android:

How are files associated with applications?
Is there a real file manager and/or can user access files directly outside of any app? If so, can I launch an app by selecting a file?
Can I put a file (say, a PDF) on the desktop, touch it, and have the associated app display it automatically?

Thanks in advance

K

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
How are files associated with applications?
If you have multiple apps that can open a certain file type then each time you select one it will show you all those apps and ask you which one you want to use. When that pops up you can select "Always" if if you always want to use that specific app or "Just once" if you want it to continue to ask you everytime.

Is there a real file manager and/or can user access files directly outside of any app?
Yes that are many file managers available in the Play Store that allow you to see and launch all you the files on your device.

If so, can I launch an app by selecting a file?
Yes.

Can I put a file (say, a PDF) on the desktop, touch it, and have the associated app display it automatically?
You can't save files directly to the homescreen no. You can have your file manager on the desktop with a shortcut to the files/folder you want, but no files directly on the homescreen.

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If so, can I launch an app by selecting a file?

Yes, but I find that the app keeps track of the files for you so I start the app (adobe reader say) and select the file there.

A convenient way is to use 'the cloud', google drive, acrobat.com, etc. and simply click the file and it starts Reader on it

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
... but no files directly on the homescreen.
I have to say that coming from the unix and windows world I find where files end up (download dir it usually seems) a bit strange but in practice it just doesn't matter. I never use the file manager I installed.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
adding to obove points if you want to clear the default selections you made you can do that too by going to app info and clearing the defaults.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Should we be concerned about these? What I mean is will using a 3rd party Pogo pin charger [before Google has released an official one] potentially shorten the battery life? Void the warrenty? Cause an all out war between Dogs and Cats?

jonsutters

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I pin pdf files to my homescreen all the time.

Use ES File Explorer app (the older version not the fresh look), select the file you want and hit 'Shortcut'.

Voila, the file appears on the home screen - one touch to open.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz