Nexus 10 powering off while in sleep for extended periods of time

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I've been looking online and I have found one or two posts of this exact same thing. Those posts were on sites that I didnt want to sign up for, so I am posting here... :)

This is the issue: When I put my Nexus 10 to sleep, and I do have disconnect wifi when sleeping enabled, at some point the device turns off so that when I go to use it (for example in the AM) I must turn it on "from scratch".

This is hard to search for online, because its similar in description to other problems. But from the best I can tell, they are unrelated problems. This does not seem to be the 'sleep of death', as this requires no 'battery pull'.

I have only started methodical testing on this a couple days ago, and its a slow process because it seems to need to be off for a long time to do this, so I'm really only getting one test per day.

I do not think this is a hardware issue. Please skip any replies that tell me to do a factory reset and then return it if that dosent work. I am fully aware of that generic troubleshooting step. I believe it does not apply here. I think my problem is setting or software specific.

So far, I've been uninstalling software that starts at boot. I read somewhere this is often problematic software. Only on day 2, day 1's uninstall (only one program) was not the fix.

I will try putting Wifi back on while in sleep to see if that can provide clues. I do not like that on as a permanent setting because it draws to much power when not in use.

I do have a case w/ a magnet in it, I will try removing it from the case to see if its at all magnet related.

I hope someone can chime in with an answer, but I suspect that is a fairly far-fetched hope. Really, I am hoping "we" can get Google to notice this specific issue and address it in future software builds.

Best,
Matt

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
My note 10 did this one time as well, while it was on the charger overnight.

I leave my tablet wifi on all the time and see no problems with battery loss. The nexus device may have some issues as I have read in numerous places that the 4.2 os is a little buggy.

That could be the only problem. Have you downloaded any updates for the os since you purchased the tablet? It could be an issue that Google is aware of, just haven't patched yet.

Another thing is that there could be a hardware related issue. Possible shorts in the electrical system of the device could allow this type of behavior, or even a bad solder joint. Samsung has been having some issues with motherboards in their Galaxy S3 phones, so who is to say that this is not an issue here on some tablets also.

Also keep in mind that the architecture of the cpu is new, and could possibly have some firmware related issues as well.

As for devices nowadays "just working", well that can be a crap shoot. Electronics can be DOA right out of the box on first power up. There is no guarantee that PCBs have not failed during production, as most manufacturing companies don't test every device that comes down the assembly line, only a relative sample. Years ago, it would be easy to change parts on a circuit board, now the miniaturization of components mean that one tiny component does and either the device does not work, or does not work properly.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you get a answer for your dilemma, but I just think there are more factors at work here than you are taking account for.

You may have to exchange it for a new device to be sure it is not a direct hardware fault causing this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

jwang2468

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You are not alone. This situation has been reported many times. My Nexus 10 has the same situation. From watching closely several tries with the situation, I finally observe one sign which might be the cause of this random shut down. It appears to be something is wrong between the communication of battery charging status and OS, especially while the battery is charging. The "charging" status is noticed by the OS initially; however, the batter status is not reported to the OS as it should be. When my Nexus 10 is unplugged in the morning after all night charging, the battery icon actually shows "red" as if the battery is exhausted. So when the power is unplugged, the system shuts itself down as it should be. However, after you power it back up, the battery status is reported and OS is happily to know then that the battery is fully charged. I don't know whether this is fixable by software update or not. From other posts, Google seems to know this problem. However, there is no post providing a solution yet. I called Google, and the suggestion was doing a factory reset (which I did already, but result is the same), if it is not fixed, I should request an exchange. I haven't done so yet. I'm waiting until Christmas is passed.

I've also encountered slow wake-up after in sleep mode. I don't know how sleep mode is handled in Nexus 10. Most time if only LCD is turned off, it comes back quickly. However, if it is in sleep mode for a while, it may take extra 3-5 seconds to come back. I don't know whether this is fixable or not either. I've learned to live with it for now, though not happy that my Nexus 10 is not perfect :'(. I also have a Nexus 7 which I got about 3 months ago, it never behaves like this. I assume how Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 handle sleep mode is different.

If you notice your battery indicator is in red in the morning, please update. I try to see whether my observation is correct.

NYGiants84

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I had this same issue. Even put in an RMA to have my Nexus 10 replaced but this past Sunday, I updated my device to 4.2.1 and the problem was fixed so canceled my RMA and the device is running perfectly

I suggest to try the update if you havn't already.

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
It looks like a lot of this problem is being caused by ' Location Services ' . I dont want to update multiple threads, so I'd encourage anyone who is truely interested/having this issue to look at the code.google postings I've done. Thanks to all who have replied here though - every bit of effort/energy helps! :)

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok everyone, after many days of testing I think I have found a separate bug from the Location Services one. I'm starting a new thread on that because I now thik the "top-level description of the problem" needs to accuratly reflect my new findings.

I think this thread can be closed, because I think all who experience this issue the way I describe it will find they are really having the Location Services issue that jens has flushed out on another thread, or they are having the issue I found - problem with the smart case magnets.

Here is my new thread: Issue 43503 - android - Use of smartcase's on/off magnet feature occasionally causes Nexus 10 to crash and power off instead of sleep - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance