Why do I have to shrink websites in Chrome?

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
When I open almost any website, including these forums, the Nexus 10 displays just shy of the entire width of the page. Why do I have to shrink to see the entire width every darned time? Do I have some setting wrong??? Shouldn't the page be automatically sized to fit the width of the display?

Sorry to have to make a new thread for this, but I've searched and can't find an answer anywhere.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Try this. In Chrome, settings, advanced, accessibility, check force enable zoom.

That simply overrides a website's "don't zoom in on me" code. It doesn't autofit web pages. This is a glitch or oversight on Google's part and why I still use the stock browsers.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
That simply overrides a website's "don't zoom in on me" code. It doesn't autofit web pages. This is a glitch or oversight on Google's part and why I still use the stock browsers.

It does seem to help though. I rarely have to re-size web pages in Chrome since I checked that box. What web browser do you usually use?

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Oops I replied to this thread in a general sense rather than specifically for the device. My phone and tablet both have browsers they just call Browser or Internet.

davrow

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what stock browsers you use that autofit pages to the monitor.

None of mine do on Windoze PCs. If I shrink the window the page stays the same size and I see less of it. If I make the window huge (say, spread across dual monitors) the webpage stops at a certain width and the rest is whitespace.

I didn't expect the webpages to fit in my N10 screen so was in no way surprised when it didn't happen.

I think it is a factor of how the web page was designed, not a function of the N10 or its browsers. Notice I said "I think" - I'm not claiming anything else.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what stock browsers you use that autofit pages to the monitor.

None of mine do on Windoze PCs. If I shrink the window the page stays the same size and I see less of it. If I make the window huge (say, spread across dual monitors) the webpage stops at a certain width and the rest is whitespace.

I didn't expect the webpages to fit in my N10 screen so was in no way surprised when it didn't happen.

I think it is a factor of how the web page was designed, not a function of the N10 or its browsers. Notice I said "I think" - I'm not claiming anything else.

There are many ways to code a website but fitting a page within the screen is not uncommon. Both of my mobile browsers do it and my Windows browsers do it with caveats. NONE of my browsers let every or nearly every web page spill past 100% full screen width...except mobile Chrome...specifically on tablet.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I am not experiencing this at all. I have to believe there is a setting to blame.

Not all sites will spill over. It depends where you go. Try Amazon or The Verge. Those are two of my most visited sites that almost always spill over in Chrome but not stock.

There is no Chrome setting for this. It's perplexing. Chrome is actually rather devoid of settings as a whole.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I understand what you mean now I think what happened was I had already zoomed out so that the forums page would fill my screen and then any additional forum page i opened would continue to fill my screen as I was opening all links in new tabs

I should also note I tend to do most of my browsing in portrait mode.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly I don't recall forums ever being problematic. Probably because they're almost purely text.

It's usually websites with what I might call "full" graphical content. It's only slight spillover too...just enough to cut off the content and be a nuisance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2