wireless network says connected but icon grey

StarFyre

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,
Issue wife having. Wireless network works fine at home but in several places now (Starbucks,Honolulu airport, several restaurants) all,with unsecured networks, it says connected and good signal,strength but the connection icon is Grey. At our hotel it works after opening browser and saying yes to a q question on access bit this doesnt always appear when browser opened.
Regards,

Sanjay

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I noticed this on my Note 2 running 4.1.1. Previously, when connected, the icon for WiFi and mobile data would be blue if connected. They are simply gray now. Maybe I need to read the manual. :)

I am connected to a secure WiFi network.

Last edited:

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Bump. Does anyone have any insight into this? I see a lot of terrible, conflicting information when doing a Google search. It appears as this indicator may have changed meaning in JB, or potentially has a bug in a couple or many vendor-supplied versions of Android?

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Bump. Does anyone have any insight into this? I see a lot of terrible, conflicting information when doing a Google search. It appears as this indicator may have changed meaning in JB, or potentially has a bug in a couple or many vendor-supplied versions of Android?

Update your profile.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Grey = Connected to Wireless Local Area Network only (no internet).

Blue = Connected to Wireless Local Area Network With Internet.

The flashing line up the middle of the icon (Blue or Grey) shows data transfer.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
U can still access the web while its grey but it has to be blue to connect to Google services

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

underdonk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
My WiFi and cell icon are gray all the time - never blue. I have no problems connecting to the Internet or using Google services regardless of where I am or what service I am trying to access. I have even gone so far as do a packet capture and ensure there is a "secure" in connection when using Google services, as one source noted a gray icon may mean "no secure connection". Everything was fine - TLS w/ strong cipher being used.

I guess I'm just special? :)

Arucad

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I stopped the background updates of applications trough the "Du Battery" optimization panel and it instantly turned to blue from white.
I am not 100% sure if that's the thing that fixed it, so you guys will have to try it aswell.

EDIT: aaand it's back to white....

Last edited:

Mordant_ug

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The problem is caused by AES setting in wireless router security. If you set it to TKIP the problem regarding your grey wireless icon will be solved because some devices are not 100% compatible with AES. When it's grey it says that your phone is connected to the wireless router but with no internet connectivity.
LET US KNOW IF IT HAS SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM. Good luck!

Mohamed Saudi

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
The problem is caused by AES setting in wireless router security. If you set it to TKIP the problem regarding your grey wireless icon will be solved because some devices are not 100% compatible with AES. When it's grey it says that your phone is connected to the wireless router but with no internet connectivity.
LET US KNOW IF IT HAS SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM. Good luck!
Your suggestion worked for me, I had an Internet access but the icon was grey, the wireless access point security encryption type was set to Auto. I set it to TKIP the icon turned blue.
My gadget is Lenovo A3000-H and the access point is TP-Link
Thank you

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie