Ok to turn device off every night to charge?

Heelsandeers

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 10 for about a week now. The battery has been lasting through the day and I usually charge it overnight. Is it ok that I power it off every night to charge? or would it be better off left on?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter. all switching off does is charge it a bit faster. maybe 10 min faster.

I would recommend charging it how the manufacturer and Google intent it to be charged. with the tablet switched on

battery calibration works better when the tablet is switched on

davrow

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
And just to provide an opposing (kind of) opinion -

I have always turned all of my computing equipment off when I am not using it (VoIP server stays on 24/7). So I see no reason to change my habits just because I've added a tablet to the fold.

I don't just turn it off at night, I power down every time I stop using it.

Now, had I ever actually seen any recommendation from the manufacturer then yes, I would follow it. I just never saw such a thing browsing the provided leaflets.

anonuk

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
And just to provide an opposing (kind of) opinion -

I have always turned all of my computing equipment off when I am not using it (VoIP server stays on 24/7). So I see no reason to change my habits just because I've added a tablet to the fold.

I don't just turn it off at night, I power down every time I stop using it.

Now, had I ever actually seen any recommendation from the manufacturer then yes, I would follow it. I just never saw such a thing browsing the provided leaflets.

Well the advice does exist from the manufacturer. The reason is because its now a lithium battery.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Turning off the tablet and back on each time is a waste of time and effort. It really does almost nothing to save energy or wear on the tablet. Just leave it on.

As far as other equipment goes- it depends. From experience, I will say that hard drives and many power supplies will last much longer if just left on vs. being turn on and off and thermal cycled thousands of times over their lives. But you can save energy by doing so.

ibmnasa69

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
From reading this thread I get the idea that it is OK to "top the battery off" each and every night, even if it has run only part-way down. Is that a correct interpretation?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
From reading this thread I get the idea that it is OK to "top the battery off" each and every night, even if it has run only part-way down. Is that a correct interpretation?

Correct. It should not hurt nor shorten the life of LiIon batteries, to the best of my knowledge.

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
"The tablet charges faster when you?re not using it." implies its turned on

That still doesn't mean that the manufacturer recommends charging the device when it is turned on. It just means that it will charge faster if you are not using it (which is fairly obvious).

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
That still doesn't mean that the manufacturer recommends charging the device when it is turned on. It just means that it will charge faster if you are not using it (which is fairly obvious).

I could ask the same question. are there instruction by the manufacturers to switch off the tablet while charging?? No there isnt.
that simple implies just charge the tablet when battery is low.

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I could ask the same question. are there instruction by the manufacturers to switch off the tablet while charging?? No there isnt.
that simple implies just charge the tablet when battery is low.

But you made the claim that Google and Samsung intended for the tablet to be charged when it is powered on. You were asked to provide a source for this information. You have failed to do that so far and now you just keep providing other random information.

Did Google/Samsung really say that somewhere or did you just make it up?

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I rarely suggest turning off *any* device. My laptop has been on for nearly a month now, my desktop hasn't been turned off or rebooted in seven months, and the Nexus hasn't been turned off (except for when I knew I wouldn't be near the device for a few days).

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I rarely suggest turning off *any* device.

In theory I agree but I'm a geezer who was programming computers when their memory was measured in kilobytes and floppies were 8 inches. In those days periodic reboots were definitely a good idea necessary. Could be voodoo thinking on my part but I'd reboot any machine once a month if nothing else.

Edit add: just as the operating systems are better at tidying up these days, I'd also conjecture that the hardware is more robust with respect to cycling the power.

Last edited:

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
... Did Google/Samsung really say that somewhere or did you just make it up?

He could be thinking of the issue where the cells of lithium polymer batteries need the charger to balance them. There's mention of this on the Wikipedia page for lithium polymer batteries (which are not the same as lithium ion batteries). My thinking is that this balancing is done by some circuits in the tablet, not the wall wart, since there aren't enough wires from the wall wart to do anything intelligent with multiple cells. But I think it would be a flawed design to require the tablet to be on in order for this balancing to take place.

Heelsandeers

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Replace 'ideal' with prudent and I would agree. :)

That has really been the only reason I have shut down every night. With the device being new and all, I'm still experimenting with different apps and such and have been installing/ uninstalling quite frequently. It just seemed like a good idea to reboot

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD